PDA

View Full Version : My anxiety is so bad about getting the vaccine...

anxious_thoughts
04-05-21, 20:18
I haven’t received my vaccine yet because I’ve been so terrified hearing horror stories...

I keep seeing stories about some people getting their vaccine and during the 15 minute waiting period they pass out/faint.

My friend just got his Pfizer vaccine today and while he was waiting during the 15 min waiting period after you get it, a man in his 50’s passed out and had to be taken on a stretcher. An ambulance also came.

What could cause these things?? I’ve also read that fainting is sometimes common in some vaccines such as the HPV one. Im hoping to speak to my doctor soon before booking my appointment because my anxiety about fainting or getting another side effect is so high right now.

ankietyjoe
04-05-21, 20:23
If those stories terrify you, stop looking at them.

The overwhelming majority of people don't faint. No point working yourself up over something that isn't happening to you, and probably won't.

"I keep hearing/I keep seeing"

Well, stop looking then.

anxious_thoughts
04-05-21, 20:26
When someone I personally know had that experience it makes things closer to home than hearing it on the news.

Just want to know what would cause that to happen after the vaccine.

Fishmanpa
04-05-21, 20:30
Just want to know what would cause that to happen after the vaccine.

Panic attack....

FMP

Carys
04-05-21, 20:34
People 'passing out' is nothing more than people fainting from needle phobias I should think, or standard panic attacks and anxiety following the vaccine. Its just fainting, that people do when they have highly anxious situations - it just so happens that this mass vaccination effort is causing all the people with needle phobias to be together at the same time LOL. Someone did it infront of me as I went into the hall to have mine, he was fine within minutes and sitting and chatting.

anxious_thoughts
04-05-21, 21:28
People 'passing out' is nothing more than people fainting from needle phobias I should think, or standard panic attacks and anxiety following the vaccine. Its just fainting, that people do when they have highly anxious situations - it just so happens that this mass vaccination effort is causing all the people with needle phobias to be together at the same time LOL. Someone did it infront of me as I went into the hall to have mine, he was fine within minutes and sitting and chatting.

I can understand passing out during or before, but he had just gotten just shot and was waiting in the waiting room and after about 2-3 minutes he passed out. My friend said he seemed unresponsive and an ambulance had to come. So scary :(

anxious_thoughts
04-05-21, 21:33
Hi Jennclark,

After months of anxiety about the vaccine I just booked mine up today - it's this Sunday. I will admit reading your post made me feel a little alarmed, but I really do think the best plan is to stop looking at the stories you mention. Yes, it's scary - but quite often the news media doesn't provide any context - they just give a scary headline so you click it and don't tell you the full story.

Probably if you took any item of food you could find stories of people who had an allergic reaction and were rushed to hospital. I think we just need to try to stay away from all the horror stories if possible and focus on the fact that TENS OF MILLIONS of people have had this vaccine and been perfectly fine. The people I've spoken to said they had a sore arm and about 1 or 2 days of feeling a bit under the weather.

Of course I'm terrified of getting the vaccine too - but you have to ask yourself what scares you more - the vaccine or having covid?

Imagine if you had the vaccine a few months ago. You'd of done it, and be getting on with your life! I really hope like me you have the courage to book it up. My only advice is to maybe just book one in. You don't have to go, you can cancel, but just take that first step and book something in if you can :-)

Hello, I am so so sorry for making you anxious.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope your vaccine goes well on Sunday. Booking mine is definitely the hardest part. I have such a fear of medication or taking anything new. I even stay away from caffeine because I’m so sensitive to anything going on in my body.

I was discussing this story with my boyfriend and my friend called me to tell me about a clinic by the house doing walk ins and I could go right now to get it if I wanted to. Oh, the anxiety! I think I will talk with my doctor and hopefully she can help with this fear.

anxious_thoughts
08-05-21, 16:34
I’ve finally taken the step to book a vaccine appointment which is not this weekend but next.

My anxiety since I booked it last night has been so high. I can’t get it out of my mind and I can’t imagine what will happen on the day of.

I have such a bad fear about side effects, but not the flu like symptoms. More so the ones that happen after you get the vaccine. That 15-20 minute wait that they make you stay just to make sure you’re okay. I’m worried about allergies or something bad. My friend got his vaccine and while he was waiting in the waiting room afterwards, a man passed out. This was after he received the vaccine. What could cause this?

I’m so anxious about passing out and being rushed to the hospital for something sinister.

pulisa
08-05-21, 18:02
What a shame that your friend told you about this. I'm sure it happens infrequently and this is why there are people looking after you post-vaccine. I think it's reassuring to be monitored especially if you are highly anxious. Please don't torment yourself with all this fear of "something sinister"..Why should you be singled out for a mega adverse reaction?

If you are that fearful on the day then maybe postpone your jab until you feel mentally ready? There's no pressure on you to have it.

As regards the man fainting..Have you considered needle phobia?

anxious_thoughts
08-05-21, 20:27
I wish my friend didn’t tell me either...but I had told him to be honest. I was so shocked to hear it. But I do many people that have gotten it and nobody else has seen that happen.

I actually just spoke to my doctor and she told me that fainting is actually pretty common for certain vaccines. It isn’t due to what is inside the need though.

I’m hoping I don’t postpone it. My parents and friends are all really pushing me, I know once I get it I would feel so relieved too. I’m also so afraid of getting the virus.

nomorepanic
08-05-21, 20:45
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

pulisa
08-05-21, 20:45
The thing to remember here is that you actually want to have the vaccine. You want to protect yourself. Yes there will be fear on the day and in the lead up to the day but that's ok. You have support from your family and friends both before and after. It's down to you though and what you feel comfortable with..The vaccine versus anxiety.

Carys
08-05-21, 20:56
What could cause this?

I'm sure I replied to this on another thread when you asked it ? Errrr, yes, it was this thread about fainting , just checked.

anxious_thoughts
09-05-21, 14:32
Hi there,

I understand that, just wondering why it didn’t happen before but instead happened after the waiting period...my friend also said he didn’t actually see him get up or open his eyes. They had to put him on a stretcher and an ambulance came.

anxious_thoughts
09-05-21, 14:35
I agree with others here that the fainting is probably people with needle phobias passing out. That might even be me later today lol (hopefully not though). I'm so sorry you're feeling so worried about the vaccine, and can completely empathise. What I will say though, is that you seem quite focussed on that first 15 to 20 minuets after the jab, so in a way that's a good thing because if you can just push yourself to get the vaccine and get past those 20 minuets, you'll be good to go! I guess it's having the courage to go through with it but once you do I bet you'll be really pleased you did.

Hi Dan, please tell me how it goes today! Will be thinking of you. I know it will go well.
What makes me wonder is why it happened after her got the needle...and my friend said he didn’t really see him open his eyes after. They had to put him on a stretcher and the ambulance came.
Yes the first 15-20 minutes are where my anxiety is around, very true! I’ll definitely be so relieved once I get it over with.

JulieJay92
09-05-21, 16:39
Hi Dan, please tell me how it goes today! Will be thinking of you. I know it will go well.
What makes me wonder is why it happened after her got the needle...and my friend said he didn’t really see him open his eyes after. They had to put him on a stretcher and the ambulance came.
Yes the first 15-20 minutes are where my anxiety is around, very true! I’ll definitely be so relieved once I get it over with.

i was the same, i brought a magazine but ended up just chatting to others who were waiting then bang, 15 minutes up , thtat was dec and jan and im still here, didnt have bad side effects just flulike symptoms and now i dont even give it a 2nd thought, try to relax but bring something to take your mind off it, just incase your dont wish to talk to others xx

pulisa
09-05-21, 17:49
Hi there,

I understand that, just wondering why it didn’t happen before but instead happened after the waiting period...my friend also said he didn’t actually see him get up or open his eyes. They had to put him on a stretcher and an ambulance came.

Do you think your friend was winding you up? How helpful is this to include here, Jen? It's really triggering for many and may not even be true.

anxious_thoughts
09-05-21, 17:57
i was the same, i brought a magazine but ended up just chatting to others who were waiting then bang, 15 minutes up , thtat was dec and jan and im still here, didnt have bad side effects just flulike symptoms and now i dont even give it a 2nd thought, try to relax but bring something to take your mind off it, just incase your dont wish to talk to others xx

Hi Julia,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I will make sure to bring a book or something to take my mind off of it.

anxious_thoughts
10-05-21, 13:26
I’m just counting down the days now to Sunday...still so scared but I’m going to push myself to go and try.

anxious_thoughts
15-05-21, 15:48
Tomorrow is the day of my vaccine, I am still extremely nervous and feeling very anxious. But it isn’t as bad as how I was feeling last week when I first booked my appointment.

Hoping all goes well tomorrow, I should be getting Pfizer. Just really hoping and praying that nothing bad happens during that 15 minute wait time.

anxious_thoughts
15-05-21, 22:22
I wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow Jen! Despite the anxiety and nerves (which are totally normal) , I get the impression you're feeling more positive about this which is so nice to see.
You're going to be just fine. One thing I can guarentee you, having gone through all the same anxiety you're experiencing is that the injection will all be over with very quickly.

The 15 minuet wait is a bit scary, yes. But allergic reactions are so rare that you've got a greater than 99.9% chance of being totally fine. The main battle will be controlling anxiety and the worry that something bad will happen. But it won't, you'll get through it, and you'll be really proud of yourself for pushing past the anxiety and getting it done :) Hope it goes as well as it possibly can, I'm sure it will!

Hi Dan,

Thank you! I am feeling more positive but still trying to fight the nerves and anxiety. At this point I just can’t wait to get it over with tomorrow.

Thank you for helping me through all of this, I hope tomorrow goes by smoothly and I don’t get that scary adrenaline rush from the nerves. I hope you are doing well also!

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 13:28
Today is finally the day of my vaccine and I’m not feeling as positive as I was yesterday. The anxiety has already started and the appointment is 4 hours away.

Trying not to think the worst but it’s so so hard.

pulisa
16-05-21, 13:44
Don't think anything at all, Jen. Get it done if you can. If you can't then walk away. It's always going to be your choice.

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 13:50
Don't think anything at all, Jen. Get it done if you can. If you can't then walk away. It's always going to be your choice.

I really don’t want to walk away, I need to do this. Just wish it wasn’t so scary...even after reading so many positive stories I am still nervous.

Carys
16-05-21, 14:01
You know what Jenn, try to think beyond the vaccine. These things become so huge and overwhelming that that is all you focus on and it is the big brick wall facing you with nothing beyond it. I found that thinking beyond the vaccine (or any event you find negative) helps to retrain your brain into being less fearful as life will continue after the appointment - e.g. when I get home I am going to cook some biscuits, later on tonight what will I watch on t.v. ? Shall I do some of my craft later ? ....AND.....that is the fact, your life will continue just fine after the vaccine :)

pulisa
16-05-21, 14:14
That's excellent advice from Carys. Have a plan for later on and don't make it all about the vaccine. Keep yourself occupied. You don't want to walk away but if you do, you do. There's always another chance.

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 14:52
You know what Jenn, try to think beyond the vaccine. These things become so huge and overwhelming that that is all you focus on and it is the big brick wall facing you with nothing beyond it. I found that thinking beyond the vaccine (or any event you find negative) helps to retrain your brain into being less fearful as life will continue after the appointment - e.g. when I get home I am going to cook some biscuits, later on tonight what will I watch on t.v. ? Shall I do some of my craft later ? ....AND.....that is the fact, your life will continue just fine after the vaccine :)

Hello Carys, thank you for this. That’s exactly how I was thinking, like this is a huge brick wall. My Life will definitely continue after the vaccine, and with a more peace of mind to think my body is building some protection against this virus. Getting that would make my anxiety much worse than the short anxiety I will feel before and after receiving the vaccine, so it’s worth it. Thank you!

Lencoboy
16-05-21, 14:52
That's excellent advice from Carys. Have a plan for later on and don't make it all about the vaccine. Keep yourself occupied. You don't want to walk away but if you do, you do. There's always another chance.

I still feel the same dread at the thought of having an operation with a full-on general anaesthetic, as I am still quite emetophobic, and when I had my adenoids removed back in 1981 when I was 4, I puked all over the pillow of my bed back in the ward as soon as I started to come round again.

The general anaesthetic was sourced from the older type 'gas' inhaled via a face mask, and it tasted bloody vile!

Though of course it's very likely that things have changed and even improved markedly over the 40 years that have since elapsed, it still gives me the heebies thinking about it today, in case some hospitals might still be using older equipment/methods and/or anaesthetics of older types/formulations.

Sorry to digress and hijack this thread for my own other personal anxieties.

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 14:54

Yes, it’s great advice. I really needed someone to talk to about it before going today, so thank you for the support, pulisa!

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 18:47
I went to my appointment and just couldn’t do it. I wasn’t able to even make it out of my car and I was in panic mode.

I saw about 80 people standing outside waiting in line. I just couldn’t see myself waiting in that line for so long already anxious to begin with. I feel terrible about it and hopefully one day soon I’ll be able to work up the courage and rebook :(.

I think I will try again next month, maybe at a different and smaller location.

Carys
16-05-21, 19:04
urrrrgh 80 odd people waiting in line, thats pretty poorly managed appointment-ing ! Not sure waiting that long would be something I could do, gives you a chance to ponder and worry far too much. I was able to walk straight into the building with 3 people infront of me only booking in.

pulisa
16-05-21, 19:38
At least you took yourself there and I certainly don't blame you for not going ahead in those circumstances.

It sounds really badly organised. I hope you manage to find somewhere more appropriate and more suited to what you need. Maybe avoid the weekend and choose a time which would be quieter ie during the working day?

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 21:56
urrrrgh 80 odd people waiting in line, thats pretty poorly managed appointment-ing ! Not sure waiting that long would be something I could do, gives you a chance to ponder and worry far too much. I was able to walk straight into the building with 3 people infront of me only booking in.

I agree! VERY poorly managed. These weren’t walk ins either, we had to have an appointment. I don’t get how they had that many people to go inside one building. It was large but I still felt uncomfortable even going inside there.

As soon as I saw that line up i made my boyfriend drive by and I had a panic attack. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to wait there already anxious with so many people around. I think my brain felt over stimulated. I didn’t get out of the car. We sat in the parking lot watching as so many people were coming and going.

My parents went on a week day and only had maybe 5-10 in front of them last month. I’m going to hopefully try again probably next month. People 18+ only recently are able to get it from over a week ago so I think that’s why it’s so packed. I’m hoping by next month maybe most people would have gone already and it won’t be as bad...bleh I’ve been feeling so sad ever since.

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 22:00
Carys- I was thinking the same! Sounds like some huge inner city place possibly? Might just be worth driving out of the city if that's the case to a smaller town vaccination place or finding a small pharmacy in the city that will do it... a line with 80 people sounds horrendous!

Really hope you can find somewhere you feel more comfortable going soon Jen, I know today was very difficult for you and I can fully relate to that horrible depressing feeling after not being able to go ahead with an appointment but I'm confident if you can find a more easy going place to get your vaccine that you'll be able to get this done, perhaps even sooner than next month :)

So terribly managed. I live in the suburbs outside of Toronto but still a lot of people live here. I went to a vaccine clinic they opened at a college by my house. I can’t believe the amount of people considering it was by appointment and not like one of the pop ups they’ve been doing across Toronto.

The thing is I can’t really go outside of my area code because you are supposed to be going to the locations nearest to you. I really wish I could go to a smaller town and do it there. The pharmacies are also starting to do walk ins and appointments but I will see if they have Pfizer. I heard they had Moderna and completely stopped AZ. I still would prefer to get Pfizer.

I’ll just wait and see how it goes. I might book again during a week day and just take time off work.

anxious_thoughts
16-05-21, 22:02
At least you took yourself there and I certainly don't blame you for not going ahead in those circumstances.

It sounds really badly organised. I hope you manage to find somewhere more appropriate and more suited to what you need. Maybe avoid the weekend and choose a time which would be quieter ie during the working day?

Yes, I’m happy I tried but also still feeling very down that I didn’t go in and get it. I actually want the vaccine, but with how things are managed so poorly it makes it so hard for people like me.

I went home after the incident. I might see if I can book during the week, it’s just such a pain to book. The system they have isn’t the greatest.

Chica18
16-05-21, 22:49
Hi, I just came on this site to see if there were any threads about this as it will be my turn to have one very soon (they're doing the 38 year olds this week here in the UK & I'm 37). I have to say, the first thing I thought of when I read about the man passing out was it could be anxiety. I have severe health anxiety & I know from my past experiences of having blood tests, smears, even a simple eye test, my anxiety does not go straight after having them done. I always have to wait 10 minutes or so before I can get up as I feel so woozy, the nurse gives me a cup of water & tells me to take my time (even though they probably want me to hurry up & get my arse out of there lol, I'm a tricky patient). If I didn't take that time to calm down I'd more than likely faint. Needle phobia is extremely common & that rush of adrenaline could definitely cause someone to pass out. Well done for taking those steps to book the appointment & turn up! When you feel ready try again. There's no rush. And if people are pressuring you explain that's it's difficult for you & that it's your body not theirs.

Take care & keep us updated xx

anxious_thoughts
27-05-21, 20:22
Hi, I just came on this site to see if there were any threads about this as it will be my turn to have one very soon (they're doing the 38 year olds this week here in the UK & I'm 37). I have to say, the first thing I thought of when I read about the man passing out was it could be anxiety. I have severe health anxiety & I know from my past experiences of having blood tests, smears, even a simple eye test, my anxiety does not go straight after having them done. I always have to wait 10 minutes or so before I can get up as I feel so woozy, the nurse gives me a cup of water & tells me to take my time (even though they probably want me to hurry up & get my arse out of there lol, I'm a tricky patient). If I didn't take that time to calm down I'd more than likely faint. Needle phobia is extremely common & that rush of adrenaline could definitely cause someone to pass out. Well done for taking those steps to book the appointment & turn up! When you feel ready try again. There's no rush. And if people are pressuring you explain that's it's difficult for you & that it's your body not theirs.

Take care & keep us updated xx

Hello Chica,
Thank you for the advice and for sharing! You’re right about the needle phobia. I’ve never had it before from other needles so I hope I will be okay.

anxious_thoughts
27-05-21, 20:23
I finally have another appointment booked for the vaccine this Saturday. I will be going to a small pharmacy close by to my house. My boyfriend and I have appointments 10 minutes apart, his is first so I’m hoping that will help me a bit after seeing him get it.

Im so nervous again, but I’m going to go to the pharmacy tomorrow after work and just look around to see how they do it. I think it will calm my nerves for the next day.

EKB
28-05-21, 13:06
I finally have another appointment booked for the vaccine this Saturday. I will be going to a small pharmacy close by to my house. My boyfriend and I have appointments 10 minutes apart, his is first so I’m hoping that will help me a bit after seeing him get it.

Im so nervous again, but I’m going to go to the pharmacy tomorrow after work and just look around to see how they do it. I think it will calm my nerves for the next day.

Good luck! If it’s any comfort, if you and your boyfriend are in the same household, see if they’ll let you go in together. That way you can do the 15 minute wait together too. My husband and I did that and it was quite helpful. You’ve got this!

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 13:22
Good luck! If it’s any comfort, if you and your boyfriend are in the same household, see if they’ll let you go in together. That way you can do the 15 minute wait together too. My husband and I did that and it was quite helpful. You’ve got this!

Thank you! I’m hoping they will let us stay together.

I am extremely anxious today. Finding it hard to function this morning. I feel like calling in sick to work and staying in bed all day. I made the mistake of reading things about the Pfizer vaccine that I shouldn’t have. Is that what you and your husband got?

pulisa
28-05-21, 13:49
Please don't read "things" about the Pfizer vaccine if that's the one you are having..It's asking for trouble and if you really want to have this vaccine you need to have it done without complicating matters. If you don't want it then that's fine but don't make things difficult for yourself.

StephA
28-05-21, 15:14
If it’s any comfort, most people I know who have had the vaccine, which is a lot, had the Pfizer one and they all did just fine. My family and I had the Moderna one and did fine. I look at it like medication. They list potential side effects because they have to, BUT most people will not get the severe ones. Even if you read about potential side effects of Tylenol it can freak you out, yet billions of people still probably take it daily. Even though Covid has a high survival rate, the benefit of the vaccines still outweigh the risk.

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 16:18
Please don't read "things" about the Pfizer vaccine if that's the one you are having..It's asking for trouble and if you really want to have this vaccine you need to have it done without complicating matters. If you don't want it then that's fine but don't make things difficult for yourself.

Yesterday's YouTube video from Dr JC is basically a warning to us about 'disinformation' currently circulating online about the vaccines, originating from France in particular.

Essentially, he is urging us to 'avoid like the plague' such dubious videos and campaigns currently doing the rounds on YouTube, Facebook, etc!

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 18:55

Ugh I know! I need to stop, I’m not helping anyone by reading things about it. It’s like a sick game I play to myself, I need to stop. I told myself I wouldn’t search things today and I have been okay so far. I was able to go to work, I’m done now and working from home so I’m going to try to continue to keep myself occupied.

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 18:58
If it’s any comfort, most people I know who have had the vaccine, which is a lot, had the Pfizer one and they all did just fine. My family and I had the Moderna one and did fine. I look at it like medication. They list potential side effects because they have to, BUT most people will not get the severe ones. Even if you read about potential side effects of Tylenol it can freak you out, yet billions of people still probably take it daily. Even though Covid has a high survival rate, the benefit of the vaccines still outweigh the risk.

Hello Steph, thank you so much. That is very comforting to know! Most people I know including my family all have had Pfizer. I don’t know how much more proof I need to realize how many people had had the shot and have been okay. I brain always likes to think the worst, I need to break that pattern.
You’re so right about the Tylenol! I’ve always been so afraid to take any new medication so that’s why it’s been a little rough about the vaccine. It took me a year and many tries to feel comfortable enough to even take my birth control. But I’m okay and was able to do it. So I’m hoping I really have the courage tomorrow. I’m going to stop by the pharmacy soon and just check it out.

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 18:59
Yesterday's YouTube video from Dr JC is basically a warning to us about 'disinformation' currently circulating online about the vaccines, originating from France in particular.

Essentially, he is urging us to 'avoid like the plague' such dubious videos and campaigns currently doing the rounds on YouTube, Facebook, etc!

You’re right! It’s just the media and people always feel the need to scare everyone. I hate that so much! I even heard that people were paid to say some bad things about Pfizer just because they have been doing so well. Ridiculous!

pulisa
28-05-21, 19:48
So will you stop researching "things" about Pfizer now?

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 19:51
So will you stop researching "things" about Pfizer now?

I haven’t researched since last night. If I feel the need to read about it, instead I’ve been looking at this forum and seeing all the positive responses about it!
I am still quite nervous for tomorrow, but at the same time I wish to have it done and over with. I can’t live with this fear and anxiety anymore, it makes me sick.

pulisa
28-05-21, 20:42
A very good reason to overcome your anxiety about the jab and start protecting yourself against covid.

I'm 4 weeks post 2nd Pfizer jab and still standing. I'm sure there are plenty of scare stories out there but I chose not to seek them out because there was no point. My decision was the only one that mattered and I wanted any protection that a vaccine could offer.

anxious_thoughts
28-05-21, 21:46
A very good reason to overcome your anxiety about the jab and start protecting yourself against covid.

I'm 4 weeks post 2nd Pfizer jab and still standing. I'm sure there are plenty of scare stories out there but I chose not to seek them out because there was no point. My decision was the only one that mattered and I wanted any protection that a vaccine could offer.

Im so happy to hear about your experience, Pulisa. That’s so great and you’re right. The only thing that matters is your own decision. And I actually want the vaccine.

I just got back from stopping by the pharmacy. I spoke with the pharmacist for a little bit I also got to see the waiting area, which had no more than 10 chairs, probably less. The pharmacist told me I have nothing to worry about and that he already has both jabs of Pfizer. I’m praying my anxiety tomorrow isn’t terrible and I go through with it. Feeling a little calmer now after visiting.

EKB
29-05-21, 00:54
Thank you! I’m hoping they will let us stay together.

I am extremely anxious today. Finding it hard to function this morning. I feel like calling in sick to work and staying in bed all day. I made the mistake of reading things about the Pfizer vaccine that I shouldn’t have. Is that what you and your husband got?

We got the AstraZeneca one when it opened up for 40+… and then the news went nuts about the very rare serious side effect. So I had a lot of anxiety after… but I’m okay now. I really don’t know what my second dose will be, or what my choices will be when it’s time though, so that’s on my mind.

The rest of my family got Pfizer, and they all were just fine. Just sore arms and no other side effects. And Pfizer is probably going to be what Canada gets the most of going forward, so you’re probably guaranteed getting Pfizer for your second as well.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 04:06
We got the AstraZeneca one when it opened up for 40+… and then the news went nuts about the very rare serious side effect. So I had a lot of anxiety after… but I’m okay now. I really don’t know what my second dose will be, or what my choices will be when it’s time though, so that’s on my mind.

The rest of my family got Pfizer, and they all were just fine. Just sore arms and no other side effects. And Pfizer is probably going to be what Canada gets the most of going forward, so you’re probably guaranteed getting Pfizer for your second as well.

I’m so sorry that you had to go through all of that anxiety. I know how terrible that must have felt. I truly hope that these vaccines are actually safe and won’t cause anything terrible in the years to come. I think I heard that you could get a different vaccine and should still be okay for the second dose.

Most of my family and friends have gotten Pfizer too. But I have such a terrible feeling in my stomach right now. It’s 11pm and I’m so dreading tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 10:30 so less than 12 hours. I feel so sick to my stomach thinking about it…I know with my anxiety I’m going to get that weird light feeling in my legs where it feels like I’m going to faint. I’m so scared I’ll faint or something. I wish that they would do the drive thru for the vaccine like I’ve seen in the states. Are you in Ontario as well?

EKB
29-05-21, 13:53
I’m so sorry that you had to go through all of that anxiety. I know how terrible that must have felt. I truly hope that these vaccines are actually safe and won’t cause anything terrible in the years to come. I think I heard that you could get a different vaccine and should still be okay for the second dose.

Most of my family and friends have gotten Pfizer too. But I have such a terrible feeling in my stomach right now. It’s 11pm and I’m so dreading tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 10:30 so less than 12 hours. I feel so sick to my stomach thinking about it…I know with my anxiety I’m going to get that weird light feeling in my legs where it feels like I’m going to faint. I’m so scared I’ll faint or something. I wish that they would do the drive thru for the vaccine like I’ve seen in the states. Are you in Ontario as well?

Yup, I’m in Ontario. Locally we had a flu shot clinic last fall that was drive through and it was amazing. We need more of those.

You can let the pharmacist know you tend to feel faint in these situations and they’ll sit you down and watch out for that. My husband tends to pass out with needles and he just let the pharmacist know. But he was just fine.

As for vaccine safety, I do think AZ is safe, but has a horrible PR problem. There are rare issues with all sorts of drugs and the news media doesn’t cover them as intensely as they’re hyping the very rare instances of side effects with some of the vaccines. And with vaccines because they are preventative (even if preventing a terrible disease) people look at those risks with less tolerance - so vaccines almost suffer from their own success. But with HA it still really gets in your head… so even though rationally I don’t regret getting the shot when I did, irrationally I had a tough time.

Good luck this morning! You’re being very brave even if it doesn’t feel like it. HA sucks and that you’re taking these difficult steps is no small thing. And if for some reason you can’t go through with it, you can try again.

pulisa
29-05-21, 14:01
Good luck, Jenn..whatever happens and whatever you decide to do.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 14:05
Yup, I’m in Ontario. Locally we had a flu shot clinic last fall that was drive through and it was amazing. We need more of those.

You can let the pharmacist know you tend to feel faint in these situations and they’ll sit you down and watch out for that. My husband tends to pass out with needles and he just let the pharmacist know. But he was just fine.

As for vaccine safety, I do think AZ is safe, but has a horrible PR problem. There are rare issues with all sorts of drugs and the news media doesn’t cover them as intensely as they’re hyping the very rare instances of side effects with some of the vaccines. And with vaccines because they are preventative (even if preventing a terrible disease) people look at those risks with less tolerance - so vaccines almost suffer from their own success. But with HA it still really gets in your head… so even though rationally I don’t regret getting the shot when I did, irrationally I had a tough time.

Good luck this morning! You’re being very brave even if it doesn’t feel like it. HA sucks and that you’re taking these difficult steps is no small thing. And if for some reason you can’t go through with it, you can try again.

Im not sure why they haven’t done more of the drive thrus, i know I heard of one happening in Vaughn but that’s so far away from me.

I’ve never fainted before from a needle so it’s just an anxious fear I have. I know when I get that heavy rush of anxiety it feels like I’ll faint but it never actually happens. I’m going to Shoppers Drug Mart for my vaccine as they probably have a smaller crowd. I went to one of those vaccine clinics and I just couldn’t do it after seeing how large the crowd was. I’m glad your husband is okay!

It has been so rough with the media spitting out so many negative things. Nobody understands that there are people with health anxiety and fears about this and sometimes it puts them off on getting it.

Thank you! I’m actually feeling a lot better today than I did the first time I attempted to get it. I just hope this positivity continues. Luckily the place is only a 3 minute or less drive from my house. So after the waiting period I can’t wait to come home and just relax.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 14:06
Good luck, Jenn..whatever happens and whatever you decide to do.

Thanks so much Pulisa! I appreciate all the support from everyone. Surprisingly enough I feel good this morning and I hope it continues so I can go through with the vaccine.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 14:12
Im not sure how I ended up deleting the entire thread I had with such positive messages. :(
Is there any way a mod could put the original thread back up?

nomorepanic
29-05-21, 14:22
It is back now for you.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 14:24
It is back now for you.

Thanks so much Nicola!!

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 16:24
I have some amazing news, I got my Pfizer vaccine! The experience was so nice. My boyfriend and I went 15 minutes early and had only one person in front of us. It was a little 12 year old girl and her mother. She was so scared and her and I actually spoke about our anxiety. It was nice to know I wasn’t the only one scared! However prior to getting to the pharmacy I truly felt like I was going to chicken out again. I had terrible anxiety, racing heart, sweaty, throwing up, etc.

Anyways, we did the paper work and barely had to wait 10 minutes. The pharmacist that did it was so gentle and careful. I explained to him that I felt anxious and he took his time and allowed me to stay in the room a little longer before going out to the waiting area. The entire time my boyfriend who doesn’t have health anxiety was totally fine. He had his right before mine.

In the waiting area I called my grandma and spoke to her the entire 15 minutes. It made time go by so much faster and then we got the okay to leave. Now I’m home and my arm is a little sore. But I feel great to have finally overcome the fear of getting it. I feel so proud of myself. I just want to say thank you to all of you for being so supportive. I don’t think I would have been able to do it without this forum and the amazing people that are part of it.

Fishmanpa
29-05-21, 16:48
:yesyes: Good job!

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 16:50
:yesyes: Good job!

Positive thoughts

Thank you!!

spectrum123
29-05-21, 17:00
Well done.

Every single person like you who does this helps in the battle against this virus. Hold your head up high and know you've made a difference.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 17:11
Well done.

Every single person like you who does this helps in the battle against this virus. Hold your head up high and know you've made a difference.

Absolutely!! I am so proud of myself and happy to be part of helping against this virus.

anxious_thoughts
29-05-21, 17:21
Hey Jen just wanted to say this is so great to read. I know that you had such a lot of anxiety about getting the vaccine, just like I did, and I'm so happy to see you post this positive update! Lets hope some of the posts on here may even inspire other people who are nervous that it really is OK to go and get it done. Anyway, congrats! Take it easy over the next few days but this is a huge win and you must feel great pushing past all that anxiety :)

You truly helped me a lot these past few weeks! I hope our experiences will help all those other people that also are going through vaccine anxiety. It really is safe and okay! Congrats to the both of us for getting through the first shot!! I’m so proud of us. :)

pulisa
29-05-21, 17:42
That's fantastic news and really well done, Jenn! You took on HA and won! I know how hard it was for you to make that mental step but you did it and you certainly should feel very proud of yourself. For some getting the jab is just routine but for others it's a huge challenge. I'm sure that your victory will inspire others who are severely anxious about the jab..even if it takes them a few attempts to go ahead with it.

Take it easy now and enjoy the praise from us all on here! You've earned it!

Carys
29-05-21, 19:08
Fabulouso, you are credit to this forum Jen - you beat it, you beat the anxiety demon, and I hope there are others who can learn from your thread and move forwards as you have managed. Its NOT EASY, its damned hard work and there is no magic wand, but the rewards afterwards are so worth it.

EKB
29-05-21, 19:17
Hooray! Well done! I’m glad you did it and that you’re feeling good about it :) :) :)

anxious_thoughts
30-05-21, 20:47
That's fantastic news and really well done, Jenn! You took on HA and won! I know how hard it was for you to make that mental step but you did it and you certainly should feel very proud of yourself. For some getting the jab is just routine but for others it's a huge challenge. I'm sure that your victory will inspire others who are severely anxious about the jab..even if it takes them a few attempts to go ahead with it.

Take it easy now and enjoy the praise from us all on here! You've earned it!

Thank you!
Yes I am very happy for myself and the fact that I can inspire so many others!! Still feeling quite tired after the second day. Also feeling a littler warmer than usual, I might have a low grade fever but I don’t want to check as sometimes that could send my anxiety so I just took an Advil and relaxing today. I actually had energy to cook lunch and then took a nap after.

anxious_thoughts
30-05-21, 20:48
Fabulouso, you are credit to this forum Jen - you beat it, you beat the anxiety demon, and I hope there are others who can learn from your thread and move forwards as you have managed. Its NOT EASY, its damned hard work and there is no magic wand, but the rewards afterwards are so worth it.

Thank you! It was a struggle but the anxiety was way worse than the shot! I already feel a peace of mind having gone to get it, and so proud of myself!

anxious_thoughts
30-05-21, 20:50
Hooray! Well done! I’m glad you did it and that you’re feeling good about it :) :) :)

Thank you so much for the support leading up to it. I really appreciate it! It’s been over 24 hours since I had it and my arm is only slightly sore. I still feel low energy and I’m planning on taking the day off tomorrow from work just to put myself together again. Anxiety really messes with your head!
I think I may have a low grade fever also, but I’m too scared to check so I just took an Advil. I’m just feeling a little warmer than usual. I’m trying not to think too much about it because I don’t want to make the anxiety worse

anxious_thoughts
30-05-21, 21:15
I’m feeling a little anxious this evening. I don’t know if it’s my anxiety but I feel slightly dizzy when I move my head :(. Scared it’s high or low blood pressure or something from the vaccine…

Fishmanpa
30-05-21, 22:09
I’m feeling a little anxious this evening. I don’t know if it’s my anxiety but I feel slightly dizzy when I move my head :(. Scared it’s high or low blood pressure or something from the vaccine…

C'mon Jenn....It's your anxiety and you know it. Revel in the fact that you jumped over a mountain to help yourself and others.

FMP

anxious_thoughts
31-05-21, 19:06
C'mon Jenn....It's your anxiety and you know it. Revel in the fact that you jumped over a mountain to help yourself and others.

FMP

You’re right FMP, day three if my vaccine and I’m back to 100% my self. So happy I went through with it!

Fishmanpa
31-05-21, 21:03
You’re right FMP, day three if my vaccine and I’m back to 100% my self. So happy I went through with it!

:yesyes: And two more weeks and you're done and the 2nd is no worse than the 1st ;)

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
04-06-21, 22:48
Hello everyone,
I’ve been doing pretty good, almost one week since the vaccine. Although today I’m starting to worry…

I have this sore spot on my left leg on the back by my calf. I’m so scared of a blood clot related to the vaccine…the area feel odd and itchy. Just a weird sensation.

Fishmanpa
04-06-21, 23:19
Just a weird sensation.

And that's all :whistles:

FMP

anxious_thoughts
22-07-21, 18:51
Update:

Just went in for my second dose of Pfizer, two hours ago!
I was so nervous but I didn’t let that stop me. Feeling proud of myself!

NancyW
22-07-21, 19:57
Hello everyone,
I’ve been doing pretty good, almost one week since the vaccine. Although today I’m starting to worry…

I have this sore spot on my left leg on the back by my calf. I’m so scared of a blood clot related to the vaccine…the area feel odd and itchy. Just a weird sensation.

I'm 4 days past #2 and I am starting to wonder if now that I got both, I'll be thinking every little ache, pain or weird feeling is a side affect. What have they done to us Jenn? :-/

anxious_thoughts
22-07-21, 21:28
I'm 4 days past #2 and I am starting to wonder if now that I got both, I'll be thinking every little ache, pain or weird feeling is a side affect. What have they done to us Jenn? :-/

Hello Nancy,

I posted that a while ago and it stopped when I stopped stressing about it! Don’t worry. Everything is okay :). Don’t give in to those anxious thoughts.

I just went in for my second vaccine this morning. I’m feeling good, just a little tired. How have your side effects been?

NancyW
22-07-21, 23:19
I got #2 on Monday morning, Tuesday I felt flu-ish, Wednesday was a bit better, I feel good today.

I had the same time frame with #1 just felt it a little more with #2.

anxious_thoughts
23-07-21, 01:10
I got #2 on Monday morning, Tuesday I felt flu-ish, Wednesday was a bit better, I feel good today.

I had the same time frame with #1 just felt it a little more with #2.

That’s good, I’m feeling kind of feverish. I took an Advil, might be an early night! Lol

NancyW
23-07-21, 11:53
Jennclark how are you feeling ?

anxious_thoughts
23-07-21, 19:07
Jennclark how are you feeling ?

Very very warm last night but after I took an Advil I was much better. It’s finally the next day and I just feel sleepy and sluggish. Just have been resting in bed. A bit of a sore arm also. Thank you for asking!

NancyW
24-07-21, 01:42
Glad you're doing well, just like we've read, it doesn't last long. I was still a little sluggish at 48 hours but that was the end of it. I worked 12 hours today, relaxing in a hot bubble bath I'd say I'm back to normal.