PDA

View Full Version : Back here after 2 years. So disappointed in myself. Need advice.

niknakx
22-05-21, 09:07
I’ve managed to beat 2 bouts of Heath anxiety in the past. I’ve had multiple rounds of therapy and medication. I thought I was doing so well but after a week of insane stress and anxiety I have noticed a twitch in my thumb that will not go away! It has literally twitched every second for the last 24 hours. Some of the twitches are so small I can’t even feel them but I can see them. I’m trying my hardest to tell myself that it’s just the stress of the last week but it won’t go away. No matter if I grip something or relax the muscle it twitches every second.
Has anyone here had an isolated muscle twitch in just one area that was just caused by anxiety?
I feel like if I had the twitches everywhere I wouldn’t be as worried, but it’s just one place constantly. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole again. I’m so disappointed with myself.

TKL04
22-05-21, 10:51
I’ve recently gone back down the rabbit hole too. It’s not a fun place to be.
Ive had the thumb twitch too. It’s my right thumb. Do you use your phone a lot?
I’m pretty sure it’s due to constantly being on my phone/repetitive use. I can even see the nerve twitch if I hold it still.
xxx

niknakx
22-05-21, 12:16
I do use my phone a lot but it’s my left thumb that’s twitching and I am left handed. I want to just say it is stress but health anxiety keeps telling me otherwise. I hate it so much.

pav1984
22-05-21, 14:02
You are doing well, as you have said you have overcome two bouts of health anxiety and you have just been tripped up with this. As will any addiction, dust yourself off and get back on the wagon.

You need to stop beating yourself up so much.

If you are concerned, talk to your doctor. They may be able to help you with the stress.

Sounds obvious but we all do it... Dont google.

OutOfExile
22-05-21, 20:57
I thought I was doing so well but after a week of insane stress and anxiety I have noticed a twitch in my thumb that will not go away!

My own past experience with twitching has been that it happens not when I'm actually anxious, but when I'm coming down from a really intense bout of anxiety - sounds like that's what's happening to you. Once after probably the worst most extended stretch of anxiety I've ever had, I had a twitch in my leg that was so intense and lasted so long it actually made my leg muscles sore.

Try to recognize it for what it is - just a normal physical response to stress - and don't let it push you into another anxiety hole

mark212312
22-05-21, 21:24
This was what kicked me back off about 5 years ago - basically my wife lost her job and I had an exam to pass to become a qualified adviser; my left thumb didnt stop twitching for near on three months. I passed, she got a new job thumb stopped twitching - I have noticed since though I do twitch all over from annkle to forehead and its been going on for years.

icantbestill81
23-05-21, 18:24
It's definitely stress, in my opinion. I've been under an awful amount of it this week myself and I've twitched so much. Our HA likes to persuade our bodies something is wrong 24/7 when it's just a natural response to stress. You're doing amazing...this is just a blip.

Sparky16
25-05-21, 05:16
I've definitely had the hand twitches when I've been under a lot of stress. I find that they sort of perpetuate themselves. One thing that I found helped a lot was to put a small piece of first aid tape or kinesio tape over the spot that is twitching. The feeling of the tape distracts you from the twitching, which helps the muscle calm down.

As far as being disappointed in yourself, one of the things that has helped me a lot with my health anxiety is realizing I don't have to be perfect. It's OK to have health anxiety once in a while. After talking with people I know, I think the occasional bit of health anxiety happens to a lot of people, and they just don't usually talk about it. Realizing this has taken a lot off pressure of me to be perfect, and lets me deal with the occasional worry and move on again.

Speranza
25-05-21, 08:12
Please don't be disappointed, I'm 'back here' too and I see it as a sign that I'm taking responsibility and a tiny bit of control over an ongoing issues.

ThrowawayLurker
06-06-21, 22:50
Sorry for the late bump, but I've been under a lot of stress lately and over the last week or so I've had finger and thumb twitches in my on hand that is driving my anxiety, which in turn is probably making it all worse because I'm so hyperaware now of every sensation in my hand. Now I'm just twitching everywhere but the hand one freaks me out to no end.

So count me in as being "back here" too.

Rluvz
07-06-21, 13:06
Count me in too. On and off i get random symptoms and back here again. But then it goes away and im away. We’re all here on and off when we or others need help. And it’s absolutely fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk