PDA

View Full Version : Superstitious/feeling like things in the media are a “sign”

MaggieD8
24-05-21, 17:05
I struggle so hard with hearing/seeing things related to my current obsessions and feeling like wow. That has to mean my worry is true. I just read about a boy my child’s age, in my town, who was just diagnosed with the exact cancer I’m fearing/obsessing over her having. I don’t know how else to explain it. It makes my fear feel more real? Like wow this is happening to a real family. Right here. So who’s to say it isn’t actually happening to my child but it just hasn’t been diagnosed yet?

utrocket09
24-05-21, 18:33
I struggle so hard with hearing/seeing things related to my current obsessions and feeling like wow. That has to mean my worry is true. I just read about a boy my child’s age, in my town, who was just diagnosed with the exact cancer I’m fearing/obsessing over her having. I don’t know how else to explain it. It makes my fear feel more real? Like wow this is happening to a real family. Right here. So who’s to say it isn’t actually happening to my child but it just hasn’t been diagnosed yet?

But it isnt happening to your child. You are finding meaning and connecting things that do not need to be connected.

Fishmanpa
24-05-21, 18:50
I play the lottery and read about winners. Hasn't happened yet :shrug: :winks:

Positive thoughts

MaggieD8
24-05-21, 18:59
You are finding meaning and connecting things that do not need to be connected.

Correct. And I hate that I do it.

AbyssalStars
24-05-21, 19:53
I know two people with type 1 diabetes my age (something that used to be a worry for me). Does that mean that I am at a greater risk of having it just because I know people who do? Nope. It did make me realize something though; people can live through a heck of a lot. I would not know that these people had type 1 if they hadn't told me. One of them was the most bubbly and happy person I have ever met even though she was completely dependent on insulin injections for her day-to-day life.

Cancer is another issue entirely, and I can see where that might be a concern. However, think of it like this: if there is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that a child will get cancer X, and there is already a child with cancer X in your area, it seems less likely that your child will get it too.

glassgirlw
25-05-21, 00:08
I understand what you mean, because I struggle with this as well. Over the years I’ve learned it’s called “magical thinking” and I just do my best to stop the thoughts as soon as they come into my head.

this is something many people with HA deal with.

NoraB
25-05-21, 08:47

A thought, in itself, has no power. It's all about the emotion/attention we put into them. Obsessive thoughts like yours are triggering strong emotions and your body is responding as if your child having cancer is a reality because your brain doesn't know the difference between a threat that's real or imagined.

Bad things are happening to people around us all the time. We have no control over that; they have no control over it. All we can do is to control (or try to) how we think about the events in our own lives and those of others. Problem is that you have health anxiety, and this mental health issue - regardless if it's fear for ourselves or the people we love - requires fear, obsessive/catastrophic/magical thinking..

This isn't just about you and what you can or can't 'enjoy' with your kids, Maggie - this is also about them not being able to be kids because of your issues. This is also about the distinct possibility that your kids will develop health anxiety themselves if you don't do something about yours.

You owe it to your kids to be the best mother you can be, and I speak from experience (as a mother who has had a mental breakdown through HA) that this is no life for you either. It's exhausting to live with this level of fear all the time, right?

You'll get empathy and sympathy on here, for sure. You have both from me, but what you need is professional help with this issue. X