PDA

View Full Version : Back again :( Pancreatic Cancer worries

LDHarv
25-05-21, 11:29
Hello,

I feel very stupid for posting this but hopefully someone can give me some reassurance.

Firstly I’m a 32 year old male who is approximately 15 stone.

I have suffered from acid reflux from 2015. The reflux was quite bad in 2015 and I went on 20mg of Omeprazole that went up to 40mg. I was very worried about pancreatic cancer at the time abut shortly after the medication started to work and my reflux was reduced. Over the coming years I had flare ups of reflux and would take Omeprazole that would work.

Back in December 2018/January 2019 I had stomach pains (like food poisoning) over a few days. Following this, for about a month I had acid reflux, sharp pains under both ribs, constant [pain/pressure under both ribs at different times, wind (burping and flatulence), stomach discomfort (mainly left sided) and burning heartburn. My stools and urine were both fine. I again took 20mg of Omeprazole which increased to 40mg. My energy levels were fine. I had blood tests which came back fine, especially good liver function but slightly low Vit D. I also had an ultrasound which I never got the results for, assumed it was fine or they’d have said something. After a few months this passed and I continued on.

Over the last few years my reflux has been present and I’ve taken Omeprazole on and off as required (for periods of time). Recently, since around Christmas 2020/January 2021 I’ve noticed my reflux has been quite bad the 20mg hasn’t really worked well. I’d have sore throat in the morning, croaky voice, heartburn and excess burping. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed I was having some constant discomfort in my lower stomaching, like a band of pressure (front and back) and some random band wind pains. Over the last few weeks this has progressed to random sharp pains in my ribs, an on and off stitch type feeling in my upper left abdomen, middle/upper back discomfort (feels like a knot/bruise) at times and continued reflux.

I am suffering massively with anxiety now and am worried about pancreatic cancer. I spoke to a nurse (my GP surgery does this where you talk to someone like that first rather than directly to a GP) and following asking some questions she has booked me in for a endoscopy – she said she wasn’t concerned about anything but wanted to see about my reflux as I’ve had it for so long. I’m now on 40mg of Omeprazole.

My stools are fine – I’m going as normal (1/2 times a day) and other than one quick trip to the loo with slightly looser stools, I’ve been having fine and normal poo to date.
My urine is fine.
I’m eating as normal, with a little discomfort and pain afterwards. I’ve not lost any weight.
I can asleep as normal and laying down doesn’t really change the back discomfort.
My energy levels are fine, I even did a 5k run this morning.

Is there anything in here that makes anyone worried/think about pancreatic cancer? Is there anything in the above that would basically suggest that pancreatic cancer is super unlikely? Other than my age. I’m waking up every morning down and it takes me a bit to get going. I have a constant pain or discomfort all day.

Thoughts and comments really welcome.

Thanks

mark212312
25-05-21, 17:49
I had a similar panic last year:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?239690-Bad-day-on-the-back-of-a-bad-quarter

You can almost watch blow by blow as my HA took hold of me - scary at the time but looking back equally worrying how it took hold of me so quickly.

The ribs thing - have a look at this:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?240339-Is-it-just-me-or-do-a-lot-of-people-have-cramps-and-twinges-under-ribs&p=1964913#post1964913

Hopefully they will help settle your mind - PC is super rare in 30's as its a slow growing cancer that takes years to develop, A&E doc told me 90% of presentation is painless jaundice so if your not p***ing coffee you're probably ok.

Good luck with the endo my Nan got diagnosed with gastritis :yesyes:

NoraB
26-05-21, 08:06
Is there anything in here that makes anyone worried/think about pancreatic cancer?

No.

Is there anything in the above that would basically suggest that pancreatic cancer is super unlikely?

The fact that, aside the pain which is to be expected with acid reflux, you have no other symptoms.

The band of pressure you describe is what I get with my IBS.

Me180
26-05-21, 09:47
Hi LDHarv, I have similar at the moment but I’m 41 and no reflux so I am so down as well. The thing I cannot bring myself to go to the Drs , unlike every lovely person here i just am so scared that I’ll be that one person that ends up not being fine and have either pancreatic stomach or bowel cancer which will be to late to get, so I’m living my life in a weird type of limbo.

well done for getting your tests done and good luck for your endoscopy, I’m sure you’ll be right as rain. Sending virtual hugs x

LDHarv
26-05-21, 10:43
Hi LDHarv, I have similar at the moment but I’m 41 and no reflux so I am so down as well. The thing I cannot bring myself to go to the Drs , unlike every lovely person here i just am so scared that I’ll be that one person that ends up not being fine and have either pancreatic stomach or bowel cancer which will be to late to get, so I’m living my life in a weird type of limbo.

well done for getting your tests done and good luck for your endoscopy, I’m sure you’ll be right as rain. Sending virtual hugs x

So sorry to hear you are going through this. Suck doesn't it?

Thanks for the virtual hugs, right back at you. I know it's hard but try and go to the GP - sometimes discussing the issues can help you anxiety wise. Bottling it up won't do you any good.

LDHarv
26-05-21, 10:45
Thanks for the words of wisdom and response Nora.