PDA

View Full Version : Diet and Anxiety

glassgirlw
27-05-21, 03:00
Not really sure where to post this so I’ll do it here, in case it helps someone else!!

pretty much my whole life, my HA has centered around my heart. Is it beating too fast, too hard, random palps and skipped beats that cause more anxiety, exercise induced anxiety (heart rate speeds up as it should during exercise but in my mind it’s too fast and bad for me), etc… I’m sure if you have anxiety surrounding your heart you know where I’m coming from!!

This past weekend I decided I’ve had enough of this (after 20+ years, holy crap!!) and decided to put myself on a “lifestyle change” diet. Im horribly overweight, ankles and knees in pain just to walk, every day there’s a new ache and pain lol. What I find really interesting is that after only three days, my resting heart rate has decreased dramatically. Even my walking heart rate has gone down (I have an Apple Watch, I go thru periods where I have to just put it away in a drawer because I tend to obsess over the readings too much). My heart rate has decreased, all due to change of diet. I have cut out all fast food (was eating at minimum one fast food meal a day, sometimes more). Eating a TON more veggies. Watching sodium intake (not eliminating but just trying to make mindful choices). Biggest thing is portion control - all my food gets weighed and logged in an app that tracks my calorie intake.

Point being, it’s pretty amazing what just three days worth of a diet change does. Truly hoping I can stick with this this time and not fall off the proverbial wagon again. Just have to keep reminding myself of the positive changes I can see already. If you’re a heart worrier like myself, take a look at your diet. See if there are areas you could improve!

pulisa
27-05-21, 08:09
That's really good news, glassgirl and I just wanted to say well done for taking this step which is obviously working for you at this very early stage so really bodes well for both your anxiety and your cardiac health!

Keep up the good work and enjoy all the benefits of a healthier diet! Let us know how you are getting on as it will take determination and loads of motivation but I reckon you've got it cracked!

MandaIsAnxious
27-05-21, 16:44
Great Glassgirl! I have been doing the same after getting my blood taken at a physical and finding out I am pre-diabetic. I have not been taking good care of myself since having children and working from home for over a year during Covid has not helped! The day I got my results I started intermittent fasting and eating lower carbs and much less sugar and in just over 4 weeks I have lost 24 pounds! I have never in my life lost weight.

Good on you for making better life choices!

Catkins
27-05-21, 21:15
Well done both of you!

Fishmanpa
27-05-21, 21:28
Anxiety or not, a good/proper diet does wonders for you physically and mentally.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
27-05-21, 21:43
Well done glassgirlw :yesyes:

Speranza
27-05-21, 23:31
Wow, well done!!!! :yahoo: