PDA

View Full Version : Going to court .....

Krakers
11-11-07, 04:41
I'm currently taking my building society to court over the fees they have charged me in the last six years.

They have tried to set it to one side, given they are allowed to until a test case next year, but I have successfully had this lifted given the hardship rules.

Why this may be gobbledegook to most of you I have a court appearance on Dec 7th - Me vs Multibillion global company.

I'll be representing myself, and to be quite honest I am bricking it.

Has anyone else done this, if so any tips ?

While I know this isn't exactly on thread, I've had the court moved to my local one on health reasons (GAD), but me versus the monster (Building Society in this case), has got me concerned (the anx is at level 3, but in 4 weeks, it'll be through the roof) and is escalating daily.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Krakers.

Insomniac
11-11-07, 09:51
Hi there. I can't think of any advice I'm afraid but wanted to offer my support. I am also in the waiting line for extortionate fees. Its the ones who have least that suffer isn't it?

My husband got in quick and got his charges back through the courts. Now this one big case is going on, the rest of us are waiting. Good for you for taking them on!

Krakers
13-11-07, 03:24
Hi Lisa - seems I haven't got my facts exactly right.

Even though I requested the appeal without a hearing and without the defendant being involved (ex-party), the judge has stilll set a date to determine whether or not the stay should be lifted.

This is what I've got to go to on Dec 7th. I can't believe they're going to send 2 solicitors up from Wales, let alone try and demonstrate I'm not suffering hardship (reposession, 2 CCJ's, 1 MCJ, 2 defaults and others looming).

What puzzled me the most is that the courts granted the stay without me being informed (ex-party / no hearing), yet in doing exactly the same to have it removed I now have a hearing.

Sounds like a sympathetic Bank judge to me, but it will cost them more to show up than to settle. I'm just bewildered at the lengths banks will go to.

Krakers.

HazyMind
13-11-07, 09:06
Hi Krakers,

I recently reclaimed most of my bank charges, I settled for an out of court settlement and even though it wasn't the full ammount I tried to claim back I was so desperate for money I decided to accept it.

Good on you for sticking with it and fighting back for what is rightfully yours!

I'm sorry I can't help you more but if you havn't already it's worth checking out Martin Lewis's site... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=102

You can get lots of help there too!

Best of Luck to you!!

x

Krakers
13-11-07, 16:43
Hi Hazymind - thanks fir that.

I have posted to the forums you mentioned, but they do need seriously pruning. For example my post sits on one of over 250 pages. Unlike here, its very easy for your thread to be lost in the volume of posts.

Krakers.