PDA

View Full Version : Parasite/roundworm worries.

WilyKitWilyKat
05-06-21, 16:33
Nothing too graphic)

Basically I’ve had this concern on and off for years ever since my brother and I started playing with the neighbours (sick looking) cat and my mum introduced poor hypochondriac me to worms, told us to wash our hands and change our clothes.

Since then we’ve taken this cat on and had a few vet visits. She was treated for fleas/skin condition and turned into a sleek healthy looking cat albeit a big belly. We have never wormed her as far as I know and the neighbours probably didn’t. So basically I’m afraid, generally in the summer when cat follows me around, that she might have worms and pass it onto us in some way.

Today I’ve had abdominal cramps/bloating and for months just felt very tired. Hopefully it’s just an iron deficiency. I’m particularly scared of roundworms/tapeworms. The thread type I can deal with.

Another thing that scares me the most is my baby sister- she’s about 1 and a half and loves playing out (under supervision). However with the cats business in one corner of the garden plus the fact she often chases the cat and tries to pet her, sometimes ending up touching her bottom, I’m really worried she might catch something. My mum is really unbothered about the whole thing and even if she’s touched her bottom she will only wash her hands when she’s ready to come inside, in which timeframe she will likely touch her face/mouth. I’ve tried appealing to her but she disregards me as paranoid. But I’m not, am I? How do I convince her? Also I wash my hands very (too) well after touching the cat myself so technically I should be fine. More worries for my sister.

Carys
05-06-21, 17:38
If she's never been wormed, she needs to be wormed and thereafter regularly. There is a simple and very easy solution to this, it is responsible pet ownership to do so for the safety of the family, the well being of the cat and for other people whose garden she might poo in. You of course know this, but your Mum isn't being very sensible. I don't think you are being paranoid actually on this one, I mean its unlikely your sudden stomach problem is worms, very unlikely as you are aware of the need for good hand hygiene, but you are quite right in that the risk isn't acceptable, particularly for a baby. How to convince your Mum ? I don't know how old you are, so not sure of an appropriate route, but is there someone else in the family you could talk to about it ?

WilyKitWilyKat
06-06-21, 22:28
Thank you so much for the advice! Yes you’re right, it’s very simple, she needs to be wormed. I will probably look into doing that/paying for it myself. Also send my mums a few links on the risks so she gets that this needs addressing and it’s not just paranoid me and maybe talk to my dad, who I know will be more concerned. Again, I really appreciate you’re perspective, feeling somewhat better now :)