PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my vaccine! (A happy thread)

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 08:28
I finally got my first vaccine yesterday! It was incredibly easy (although I did have to drive to another town to get it - based in the UK). I sent a message to my boyfriend when I arrived and then again when it was all done and i was waiting after and the time in between them was a grand total of 7 minutes!

I had Pfizer, I'm ok with needles but I barely even felt it so I think anyone who's scared of needles would be fine. The nurse was very helpful and went through everything with me, even though they are busy she was happy to answer any questions.

In the UK when you book appointments they don't say it on the platform but they give under 40s appointments for Pfizer or Moderna only (over 40s may get AZ but I know lots of over 40s who have had the others) and when you arrive at the vaccination centre you get sent to the Pfizer/ Moderna/ AZ building or section. All very self explanatory and everyone was really friendly and helpful.

I felt fine after and on the drive back, I got a little tired/ achy last night and today my arm hurts and I feel a bit run down but that's all. No fever or anything - and I've already had covid so the side effects are meant to be worse! My boyfriend had his jab 2 days before me and he did feel feverish for a day but he's fine now. The side effects of the vaccine were 1000x better than actually having covid!

I know lots of people have had their vaccine now but I just thought I'd share my experience in case there are people on here who are still worried. I can't speak for other countries, but in the UK the NHS are doing it marvelously and I felt completely reassured 😊

Second dose booked in August!

NoraB
09-06-21, 08:37
Way to go!! :yahoo:

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 08:38
Way to go!! :yahoo:
Thankyou!

NancyW
09-06-21, 11:59
That's great to hear! I'm working up the nerve to get mine and this helps encourage me. Do you know why they are only giving pfizer and moderna to those under 40? Seems kind of odd. What are they giving those over 40?

When I do go, I'm going to get pfizer, I'm over 40 and grateful there's no such rule here.

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 12:19
That's great to hear! I'm working up the nerve to get mine and this helps encourage me. Do you know why they are only giving pfizer and moderna to those under 40? Seems kind of odd. What are they giving those over 40?

When I do go, I'm going to get pfizer, I'm over 40 and grateful there's no such rule here.

I'm glad it helped! In the UK they are still giving over 40s pfizer and moderna too, but they are also giving them AZ. Both my parents and grandma had pfizer but other people I know over 40 had AZ.

They just aren't giving under 40s AZ because of the very very rare risk of blood clots with it, I think under 40s are ever so slightly more at risk of developing them but it's still a minuscule risk. I think this move to only give under 40s pfizer or moderna was more to inspire vaccine confidence than anything!

I'm glad I had pfizer not because I think AZ is unsafe but because I know I would get anxious if I had it! I would have taken AZ if there was nothing else though.

Hope you can get your vax soon, you'll be absolutely fine!

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 12:28

I just re read my original post and it was worded poorly! I will edit it. I meant to say under 40s will only get pfizer or moderna, over 40s may get AZ, pfizer or moderna 😅

Scass
09-06-21, 12:49
Yay! Happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
09-06-21, 13:26
Good job and thank you!

Positive thoughts

Speranza
09-06-21, 13:27
Well done! My 33 year old daughter had AZ before they changed the regs, and she's actually had a blood clot in the past following a C-section.

She was fine.

pulisa
09-06-21, 13:40
Great news and what a positive thread!

My nearly 30 year old daughter has had both AZ jabs as well and is absolutely blood clot-free one month on from 2nd jab. She is autistic and was terrified about having the 2nd jab in view of "developments" but made the decision to go ahead as she wanted to have as much protection as possible.

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 15:20
Well done! My 33 year old daughter had AZ before they changed the regs, and she's actually had a blood clot in the past following a C-section.

She was fine.

Yes, I would have definitely had AZ if it was the only option as the risks are tiny! Glad your daughter is vaxxed and all good!

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 15:21
Great news and what a positive thread!

My nearly 30 year old daughter has had both AZ jabs as well and is absolutely blood clot-free one month on from 2nd jab. She is autistic and was terrified about having the 2nd jab in view of "developments" but made the decision to go ahead as she wanted to have as much protection as possible.

Definitely the right thing to do! Glad she's all good, I would definitely have had AZ if it was the only option as the risks are so small!

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 17:14
Thanks again Scass. Definitely, I know she's wrong :) agree, she way overstepped the mark.

On a lighter note, I just put a magnet on my arm (not believing the theories at all, just having a laugh 😂). Sadly it is not magnetic! Would be quite handy to be able to keep my to do list there!

Pamplemousse
09-06-21, 17:19
Thanks again Scass. Definitely, I know she's wrong :) agree, she way overstepped the mark.

On a lighter note, I just put a magnet on my arm (not believing the theories at all, just having a laugh ��). Sadly it is not magnetic! Would be quite handy to be able to keep my to do list there!

What about all the iron in your blood? Shouldn't a magnet stick to that? :roflmao:

Once again I'm reminded of AnkietyJoe's comment about the Internet giving you all the tools you need to become as misinformed as you wish.

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 17:31
What about all the iron in your blood? Shouldn't a magnet stick to that? :roflmao:

Once again I'm reminded of AnkietyJoe's comment about the Internet giving you all the tools you need to become as misinformed as you wish.

Hahaha apparently not! Maybe I'll develop some more superhuman powers, who knows ;)

MyNameIsTerry
09-06-21, 18:33
It’s ok, she’s blocked from the thread now & she’s wrong.

With all respect you just pulled Lenco up in public for a comment but you’re just going to PM FTL for telling a forum member that she’s probably going to die? I block her but I can see her comments because they have been quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scass, probably anticipating the likely response. Lenco is a reasonable guy. There's also some other stuff with FTL's husband posting in the past who Admin said was very unpleasant to them.

Probably saved us seeing more of this nastiness that has again happened. Saves encouraging a pile on from some too.

But yeah, I get what you mean.

Fishmanpa
09-06-21, 18:49
On a lighter note, I just put a magnet on my arm (not believing the theories at all, just having a laugh ��). Sadly it is not magnetic! Would be quite handy to be able to keep my to do list there!

One of the BDay presents I bought for my wife was an iPhone armband so she can just strap it to her arm along with her keys and such when she does her walks. Could have saved a few bucks if that were true eh? :winks:

Positive thoughts

Pamplemousse
09-06-21, 19:14
One of the BDay presents I bought for my wife was an iPhone armband so she can just strap it to her arm along with her keys and such when she does her walks. Could have saved a few bucks if that were true eh? :winks:

Positive thoughts

True story: took a high-end Sony amplifier to pieces a couple of weeks ago to repair a fault. Upon reassembly, I had one screw missing (and this thing had a LOT of screws). Looked everywhere for it; in the end, my phone rang so I picked it up to answer it.

The missing screw was attached (but hidden) to the magnetic flap that keeps the case closed...

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 19:42

Positive thoughts

Haha definitely!

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 19:42
True story: took a high-end Sony amplifier to pieces a couple of weeks ago to repair a fault. Upon reassembly, I had one screw missing (and this thing had a LOT of screws). Looked everywhere for it; in the end, my phone rang so I picked it up to answer it.

The missing screw was attached (but hidden) to the magnetic flap that keeps the case closed...

Haha that was well hidden!

Pamplemousse
09-06-21, 19:59
Haha that was well hidden!

Oh, it was! I was grovelling about on the floor looking for it (and it wasn't exactly hard to spot, being a sort of rose gold colour) but when you've just put back what felt like forty screws...

Catkins
09-06-21, 20:30
Excellent, well done you!

NancyW
09-06-21, 20:40
What the heck happened in this thread? I came back for a dose of positive courage and I see a bunch of deleted posts?? :-(

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 20:46
What the heck happened in this thread? I came back for a dose of positive courage and I see a bunch of deleted posts?? :-(

A troll happened! Don't worry, it's all been resolved now and they've been removed from NMP. Just spouting normal anti vax nonsense! All good over here :)

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 20:47
Oh, it was! I was grovelling about on the floor looking for it (and it wasn't exactly hard to spot, being a sort of rose gold colour) but when you've just put back what felt like forty screws...

Haha sounds like a nightmare!

pulisa
09-06-21, 20:47

A heavy dose of unpleasantness from an angry individual who has since been banned.

Plenty of positivity left to absorb though, Nancy.

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 20:48
Excellent, well done you!

:D

elizabethalice
09-06-21, 20:49
A heavy dose of unpleasantness from an angry individual who has since been banned.

Plenty of positivity left to absorb though, Nancy.

Completely agree! I'm still over the moon that I've had my vax!

NancyW
09-06-21, 22:18
❤ still working on building my nerve up.

I might just need to go to a walk in. We have them here now, do all of you ?

NancyW
09-06-21, 22:30

Not understanding why August, pfizer is my choice of vaccine so I've been reading up on it. Recommended second dose is 21 days. Did I miss something?

Fishmanpa
09-06-21, 22:36
Not understanding why August, pfizer is my choice of vaccine so I've been reading up on it. Recommended second dose is 21 days. Did I miss something?

It seems to vary by country but here in the US, we had ours two weeks between. The bottom line is still getting the two doses regardless of the time between.

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
09-06-21, 23:10

It's because at Christmas our government, on the advice of our experts, decided that it would be safe to extend all our vaccine dosing to 12 weeks. This was because we were faced with 21 dosing of very few people or single dosing of a much larger number if our most vulnerable people. The strategy paid off and a single dose was enough to stop the thousands if deaths.

Recently more vulnerable groups that remain (over 50s, some over 60s and less clinically vulnerable groups) were speeded up to 8 weeks because of the Indian variant. But this is a precaution and covers the hospitals since it's the over 50s and clinically vulnerable groups that make up 99% of all admissions.

Other countries do things differently. The 21 days was by the manufacturer but it has since been found it doesn't have to be that strictly adhered too...and our government's strategy has proven that in the real world.

MyNameIsTerry
09-06-21, 23:16

It's about weighing up the risk of a blood clot vs the risk of serious illness through Covid. Since younger groups experience milder illness there comes a point at which the risk of a clot from AZ becomes greater than the benefits brought by the vaccine from Covid.

The 40s are where that line was found. So they avoid that risk by switching to a vaccine that doesn't bring that risk factor.

MyNameIsTerry
09-06-21, 23:18
I finally got my first vaccine yesterday! It was incredibly easy (although I did have to drive to another town to get it - based in the UK). I sent a message to my boyfriend when I arrived and then again when it was all done and i was waiting after and the time in between them was a grand total of 7 minutes!

I had Pfizer, I'm ok with needles but I barely even felt it so I think anyone who's scared of needles would be fine. The nurse was very helpful and went through everything with me, even though they are busy she was happy to answer any questions.

In the UK when you book appointments they don't say it on the platform but they give under 40s appointments for Pfizer or Moderna only (over 40s may get AZ but I know lots of over 40s who have had the others) and when you arrive at the vaccination centre you get sent to the Pfizer/ Moderna/ AZ building or section. All very self explanatory and everyone was really friendly and helpful.

I felt fine after and on the drive back, I got a little tired/ achy last night and today my arm hurts and I feel a bit run down but that's all. No fever or anything - and I've already had covid so the side effects are meant to be worse! My boyfriend had his jab 2 days before me and he did feel feverish for a day but he's fine now. The side effects of the vaccine were 1000x better than actually having covid!

I know lots of people have had their vaccine now but I just thought I'd share my experience in case there are people on here who are still worried. I can't speak for other countries, but in the UK the NHS are doing it marvelously and I felt completely reassured ��

Well done! :yesyes::yahoo:

It sounds like the vaccination centre was really well organised too. So many of these people are volunteers who are doing a great job for society.

elizabethalice
10-06-21, 08:54
Well done! :yesyes::yahoo:

It sounds like the vaccination centre was really well organised too. So many of these people are volunteers who are doing a great job for society.

Thankyou! Yes, amazing isn't it! :D Such an incredible thing to do

elizabethalice
10-06-21, 08:57

Like Terry said, they decided to do things differently in the UK to get the first dose out to as many people as quickly as they could... it was a gamble and it did pay off - we were in a bad situation in January and rates fell quite rapidly - but it's still vaccine advice to give it a 21 day gap. We did have 12 week gaps at one point but they are trying to do it a bit quicker now due to the Delta variant. Apparently they are doing the same in Canada. But the most important thing is getting both jabs whenever possible in your country :)

Speranza
15-06-21, 09:01
Wow, she did really well! Glad everything is fine.