View Full Version : UK members - how do you get skin cancer checks?

nervous95
09-06-21, 16:20
Hi all

I lived in Australia for a couple of years and got skin checks done while there. I now live back in the UK and want to get it done again as it’s been well over a year since my last one and its making me a bit anxious. I phoned my GP and they said they don’t offer these services - you can only come in if there’s a mole or part of your skin that is concerning you.

For me my biggest phobia at the moment is melanoma of the scalp. I have long hair and can’t check it properly and sometimes when I get headaches etc I get so worried that it’s cancer.

However the only option it seems is to go private and these skin checks are averaging around £175.

I wonder whether going to the hairdresser could be the sort of “scalp check” and then keeping a really close eye on the rest of my skin would do the trick? I would like to get it checked properly by a professional but not keen to pay so much.

Anyone have any tips?

The reason I’m anxious is because my sun habits have been very dangerous over the years and I feel like it’s only a matter of time before it catches up with me.

Anxiouscow
09-06-21, 18:37
Hi all

I lived in Australia for a couple of years and got skin checks done while there. I now live back in the UK and want to get it done again as it’s been well over a year since my last one and its making me a bit anxious. I phoned my GP and they said they don’t offer these services - you can only come in if there’s a mole or part of your skin that is concerning you.

For me my biggest phobia at the moment is melanoma of the scalp. I have long hair and can’t check it properly and sometimes when I get headaches etc I get so worried that it’s cancer.

However the only option it seems is to go private and these skin checks are averaging around £175.

I wonder whether going to the hairdresser could be the sort of “scalp check” and then keeping a really close eye on the rest of my skin would do the trick? I would like to get it checked properly by a professional but not keen to pay so much.

Anyone have any tips?

The reason I’m anxious is because my sun habits have been very dangerous over the years and I feel like it’s only a matter of time before it catches up with me.

I would suggest that if you are really worried about it and want to do a yearly check, then you probably should just pay for it.

In my experience of researching cancer, scalp melanoma is quite rare, even in people who have exposed themselves to a lot of UV over the years. Having said that, scalp melanoma does happen, and can happen. Usually, scalp melanoma usually presents itself a little differently to melanoma on your back or arms for example. As the skin area on your scalp is very different to the skin on the rest of your body, generally causing itchiness or sores that bleed, so it doesn't go completely undetected, like you may fear.

However as you have a legitimate reason for being cautious, I think I would just pay for your scalp check, or get a friend/family member to check it every now and then with a powerful torch!