PDA

View Full Version : New Here (not to panic but to forums) help!

irenehester
05-11-03, 22:18
I know loads, academically and personally, about panic/anxiety/depression - big step forward to do this on the net. Am not able to go outside of the house for help at present so would really appreciate being able to get support online. Will obviously watch tonight's programme about agoraphobia. Like most people with these 'problems in living' I am a really interesting person. Would appreciate a reply from anyone but hve a real problem with religious types. Hope being able to do this online will help.

Meg
05-11-03, 22:39
Hello Irene,

Welcome. We look forward to getting to know you a bit better.
The chat room livens up from about 9pm which you may find a great help.

We all have personal spiritual beliefs but these have not overflowed onto this messageboard. I know some other boards have occasionally got a bit out of hand.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
06-11-03, 01:41
hello,irene,
welcome to this very supportive site,i also watched that prog tonite,but i thought it ended on a negative viewpoint...and was poor television...but thats just my oppinion...please feel free to post here,you will make friends,and get great advice from people like radar,who is a registered nurse..speak soon..bryan

kate
06-11-03, 10:57
Hi Irene, Welcome! I also watched the prog and found it facinating viewing. I'm sure that most sufferers sat watching saying" Thats me", "I do exactly the same as her!". I twas also refreshing to see the programme ending with the lady not "cured" but determined to overcome her probs. It also showed that there is no miracle cure but that any therapy entered into takes tremendous hard work and perserverance and above all , TIME.
Kate x

nomorepanic
06-11-03, 13:49
Hi Irene

Welcome to the site :-)

I watched the programme too - I thought it was good. Like Kate said it was nice to see that she wasn't completely cured or we would all think it was that easy. I wonder when they filmed it and how she is now ?

Nicola

irenehester
06-11-03, 15:56
Thanks to everyone who replied to welcome me - I am sure the site will help. When I get the hang of how it operates I 'll be a little more confident.
On the subject of last night's programme on agoraphobia I too found it interesting but very dissapointing. Glad that no instant 'cure' was evident too - would hate anyone to think it that easy or that progress is always constant. I felt it obvious that the woman's mother was a huge part of the problem as she had a rather negative attitude when talking about 'the old Julie' and bemoaning the slow progress. People who live with these problems never return to the person they were but that can be for the better. Although I would rather no-one ever suffered I do feel that panic and anxiety often are warning us that we need to make changes. I have seen people come out the other side much stronger, more self-aware and always more empathetic. Look forward to getting into the chat room.

benoo5
06-11-03, 16:58
i think i should explain my reasons for saying this was <poor television>
the producers,and researchers,didnt put enough thought into what is a very complex illness,surely if your going to make a documentary as important as this,then it deserves more than 40mins of viewing time.
i would have liked to have seen another episode next week,and a third the week after that,showing two more sufferers,and their treatment,by other therapies etc.
i found the therapist last nite,un-inspiring,and to be honest,i thought he himself was rather depressed.
there were a few million people watching last nite,and the programme didnt explain once,why this poor lady suffers the way she does,ime sure there were an awful lot of viewers,who are not sufferers thinking <she needs to pull herself together>.
that attitude is common,its unfair,its ignorant,and the programme had a chance to really open peoples eyes to the illness,but failed to do so.
they also had the opportunity to give hope to people,there are success stories out there(radar is just one of many)
panic/anxiety/phobias etc can be sometimes long term conditions,and its important that a light,no matter how dim,can be seen at the end of the tunnel,if theres no light,then depression can be added to the other conditions.
sorry this has been long,but i feel strongly that more should have been done to show that its beatable,even though the road may be long,and bumpy.
best wishes...bryan.

nomorepanic
06-11-03, 21:23
Hi Bryan - thanks for that and I agree.

When I filmed my TV programme, it looked like I was cured at the end just by seeing one woman for therapy. As you all know, I wasn't. We had complications with this woman who refused to let me be shown have other treatments whilst she was treating me! It all got very legal.

I was filming from April - July and all for a 12 minute programme.

I did not feel that I was portrayed very well and this woman (last night) may feel the same.

Nicola

nlancashire
06-11-03, 23:31
Hello Irene

Welcome to our world !

Neil

[:o)]