PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt I panic?

jude
09-02-05, 17:01
Hello everyone,
Last night my neighbour shouted me over because her boyfriend had collapsed. I ran over, checked his breathing, pulse and temp and called the doctor. The doctor admitted him by ambulance into hospital. I stayed with their son until his girlfriend returned home (11.30 last night)
When I got back home I suddenly realised that I hadnt panicked or felt anxiety during the time I was there..
I got up this morning feeling a lot better than I have in months.
I expected to be a nervous wreck today, but I actually went to the shopping centre without panicking. Normally I cant go up the street without feeling weird.
Does anyone know why this has happened. Im not complaining, its been nice to feel normal for a few hours. Im not saying the symptoms have gone away, I can feel them lurking in the background, The are just a little easier to manage.

Jude x

bluebottle
09-02-05, 17:09
You forgot yourself, you helped someone, and you did a good thing.
I'd say that is pretty amazing and you should be proud.

I'm sure this experience could be something you refer to when you need clarity.

Regards,

Blue
--
Take little steps

FAN
09-02-05, 17:11
hey you had a great day...i think last night you were too busy helping out your friend and was distracted from thinking about yourself im not sure about today but just hope it carries on for you

fan x

seh1980
09-02-05, 18:57
hello there,

The reason you didn't panic is because someone was in a worse position than you and you helped and completely forgot about your own troubles. Well done!! I hope your neighbour is ok..

Sarah :D

jude
10-02-05, 10:12
Thanks for replying.
To update you on the condition of my neighbour;
He has been kept in hospital, but they cant find out whats wrong. His illness started with a headache at lunchtime that got worse. After a while he started to feel dizzy and sick. By 4pm he was vomiting and sweating. His mate drove him home in the van, which took an hour. He was sick four times on the way home. By the time he got home, he was sweating profusely, his heart was racing, he had blurred vision and the headache was unbearable. He also felt like he couldnt breath.
After the doctor came and called for an ambulance to take him into hospital, the sickness and sweating stopped.
While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, he smoked 3 cigarettes and was smiling and joking.
It sounds familiar doesnt it, what do you think.
I darent suggest that it was a panic attack in case they find something else wrong, but I have my suspicions that they wont.
If it was, then at least I can help him.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded,
Take care everyone
Jude x

tessa
10-02-05, 16:58
Hi Jude,
The same exact thing happened to my dad about 2 weeks ago. The conditions you spoke of described his experience to a T. Any way they sent him home and told him it was vertigo. Sounded like a panic attack to me.

tessa

Tracy68
10-02-05, 17:02
Hi Jude
Bit difficult to say, but if they've run tests and can't find out the problem then it could well of been a panic attack. Might be worth at a later date talking to your neighbour to see if he has experienced any of these symptoms before. Oh and well done to you for helping him out. You done well :D
Tracy
xx

nomorepanic
12-02-05, 16:02
Jude

You did great to help out. The panic didn't come because you were focusing on something else. We tend to panic when we focus on ourselves - our breathing, any aches etc.

You could approach him sometime in the future and ask how he is and had it happened before etc. Maybe the panic conversation will come up sometime.

Well done on the shopping centre trip too.

Nicola

mico
13-02-05, 13:31
Hi Jude

Once we are set into regular panic cycles, much of the time they come on because we expect them too. In other words, the fear of panic makes you panic. In this case, it sounds like you didn't have time to panic. It's amazing how we all cope when presented with 'real' situations.

Anyway, hope your neighbour doing ok.

mico

jude
13-02-05, 17:13
Hello everyone,
The hospital have decided that my neighbour had a mini stoke, whatever that means. Im not sure.
Hes OK and due home on monday.

The horrid feelings have come back, but I kinda guessed they would.
Take care

Jude x

~S~
13-02-05, 18:01
Hi Jude

Sorry to hear the bad feelings have crept back again. Try and remember how great you felt that you were able to get to the shopping centre. Use that achievement to maybe try and go again when you feel strong enough, I always feel fab when I have gone out somewhere, if I have a day at home I always feel so much worse. I totally know what you mean about those hours of feeling 'normal', those hours are so precious to me now! :)

TC,

Luv ~Sarah~ xxx