PDA

View Full Version : Terrified to take new antibiotics - reaction after last lot

emmabombemma
14-06-21, 13:32
So I have a current kidney infection and I was on Macrobid and was fine then 2 days after stopping got bad hives for 48 hours. It was sorted with piriton.

I now have been prescribed Cephalexin as the infection still has not gone and I am terrified of a new reaction :(

My heart rate in GP office was 150 and now at home is hovering between 85-90. I just wish I could calm down.

Anxiouscow
14-06-21, 14:48
You need to take your medication. The damage that the kidney infection could do to your body far outweighs the perceived risk of a mild skin reaction. I understand the anxiety but I really can't stress how important it is to follow the advice of your doctor.

emmabombemma
14-06-21, 17:28
Thank you I took my first dose two hours ago and so far so good

Anxiouscow
14-06-21, 18:56
Any reaction that you were going to have would have happened by now, so well done for taking your medication and I hope you feel better soon :)

spectrum123
14-06-21, 19:54
I'm allergic to amoxicillin, get the same reaction as you, non-painful hives, which piriton sorts out. I had been given it for years when needed, then suddenly allergic to it, it isn't uncommon.

Probably like me, your Dr will just prescribe another antibiotic from a different class, there are a lot of different classes of antibiotic with little relation to each other, it's unlikely you will be allergic to one from a different class.

Your Dr will put a marker on your notes of the class of antibiotic you are allergic to, and you won't be prescribed that class again.

Let your dentist know on your next visit so they can update their records, and if you have to A&E for any reason let them know, although they will usually ask about allergies.

emmabombemma
15-06-21, 14:05
Thanks everyone

I am on day 2 of Cephlexin and thankfully no hives yet but the hives with Macrobid only happened after I had finished the course. It was caused a delay reaction. I am just hoping another delayed reaction does not occur. Every time I pop my next dose I am in a meltdown for about half an hour waiting for a major reaction.

Anxiouscow
15-06-21, 15:38
Even if you get hives, it's not such a big deal. Just let the medication run its course. I hope you feel better soon.

spectrum123
15-06-21, 17:47
If it's like my reaction, they start as red spots, then expand to the size of a 2p all over, face everywhere, then the centre goes back to normal, and they become rings of red that expand and fade away.

I took some antihistamines and did what every bloke would do in this situation and went to the pub and told everyone I had the plague!

emmabombemma
17-06-21, 16:43
I really keep having panic attacks that this will happen to me again after this lot of cephalexin it’s driving me mad

Fishmanpa
17-06-21, 17:33
It's been three days. I think you would have known by now if you were going to have a reaction ;)

FMP

emmabombemma
17-06-21, 18:40
Thank you the rash was last Friday and only lasted 24 hours but because I had some lymph node swelling i have managed to convince myself I have DRESS syndrome and I’m walking around with organ failure :( I didn’t have fever at the time