PDA

View Full Version : Is it best to avoid taking medication if a person can?

MrAlexander88
18-06-21, 13:55
I can't say I'm a big fan of taking medication for my anxiety, but in the past I've taken beta blockers, from 40mg to 60mg. I think they did help, but I always thought I mainly got over my anxiety because I stopped overthinking about every little thing. Just wondered what you guys thought?

Catkins
18-06-21, 14:00
I take antidepressants and promethazine for my anxiety at the moment. They have helped me a lot - I'm by no means cured, currently started a CBT course and started seeing a new therapist. Still have a long way to go.

I guess it's personal choice and what works best for you. I wouldn't condemn someone for taking or not taking something, it's what works best for you.

BlueIris
18-06-21, 14:04
Exactly. I couldn't manage without my ADs, but more power to you if you can.

pulisa
18-06-21, 14:17
I think that if you can manage your anxiety without medication then you are doing all the right things and that's great but if you can't and are still doing everything that's advised then maybe that's the time to consider help from meds.

Anxiouscow
18-06-21, 14:19
Didn't like them until I started taking 15mg Mirtzapine mainly for sleep. I found that my anxiety was mostly caused by poor sleep, and so in that way, Mirtazapine saved my life. Having said that, the key to beating anxiety is in your own head. If you can unlock it and beat it on your own, all power to you.

Fishmanpa
18-06-21, 14:42
I take a half a dozen prescriptions (as well as vitamins and supplements) for my physical issues. I've taken psych meds as well when I dealt with some depression and had some for 'scanxiety' after my cancer. I have a pill box with AM and PM compartments as I take so many. I'm not fond of it but as my doctor said when I complained about it....

"Be thankful we live in a time when a little pill can improve the quality of our lives."

So my thoughts are just that. You may not want to but the benefit far outweighs your preference.

FMP