PDA

View Full Version : Delta variant

NancyW
19-06-21, 16:41
The CDC has now said this a variant of concern for the US.

My friends across the pond, what are you seeing with this variant? I believe it is the dominant strain in the UK now.

AntsyVee
19-06-21, 16:56
It's important to remember that here in the US, the delta variant is really only spreading through those who are unvaccinated. So get all adults vaccinated, and use precautions like masks and social distancing around children until they can be vaccinated.

https://patch.com/california/los-angeles/delta-coronavirus-variant-appears-be-spreading-los-angeles

Fishmanpa
19-06-21, 17:04
The CDC has now said this a a varrient of concern for the US.

I read that too and thus far, those that are vaxxed appear to have protection. It's those that aren't that are at the most risk.

FMP

Catkins
19-06-21, 17:35
It does seem to be spreading quite rapidly, but so far due to the vaccine programme this hasn't translated into vastly increased hospital admissions.

Hospital admissions is the main area of concern for me, if the hospitals get too full then the government will put in measures to stop the spread.

So far so good.

pulisa
19-06-21, 17:44
I don't think that there's been too much information released about the double vaxxed who have been hospitalised here but I'm sure there soon will be because questions will inevitably be asked as numbers aren't negligable.

pulisa
19-06-21, 18:03
https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1513

elizabethalice
19-06-21, 21:50
The CDC has now said this a a varrient of concern for the US.

My friends across the pond, what are you seeing with this varrient? I believe it is the dominant strain in the UK now.

Yes, 99% of cases are now Delta! It is spreading a lot in the unvaccinated population but luckily nearly all vulnerable people have been fully vaccinated. Have you had yours yet Nancy? I'd really recommend doing it if not in the face of this variant, vaccines are very effective against it. :)

Fishmanpa
19-06-21, 22:12
https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1513

That affirms what I said. Those that have been fully vaxxed have not been affected. With one vax or unvaxxed, yeah, you're at risk.

GET VAXXED!

FMP

NancyW
19-06-21, 23:12
Have you had yours yet Nancy? I'd really recommend doing it if not in the face of this variant, vaccines are very effective against it. :)

No I haven't. I am such a chicken. We have walk in locations all over and the mear thought sends me into an anxiety attack. How do I get around that?

Fishmanpa
19-06-21, 23:40
F OFF!

Not feeling the love eh?

FMP

Gary A
20-06-21, 02:50
60% more transmissible but if you’ve had two doses of ANY vaccine it won’t hurt you.

If anyone wants to disagree with that then they can show me the data that suggests otherwise. Right wing lunatics need not apply.

NancyW
20-06-21, 03:18
I haven't yet Gary, I need to and it's looming over my head. Every day I tell myself I'm going to go and every day I find an excuse not to.
Didn't go today because Father's day is tomorrow our kids are coming over and what if the vaccine makes me not feel good? I find an excuse every day.
Pitiful.

.Poppy.
20-06-21, 04:07
Nancy, why exactly are you afraid? That might be a good place to start.

They are SO careful with this vaccine. It’s honestly probably overkill, but no complaints here. They make you stay after your shot to ensure no reaction. They have medical teams standing by in case but for the VAST majority it isn’t needed.

I got the Moderna vax. First shot, only a sore arm. Second shot, I had a fever for a couple of days, felt crummy, sore arm, and a bit of a brain fog/fatigue. It dissipated in a few days and all is well now. So much better than covid, especially with all of these new and terrifying variants.

Keep in mind too that they’ve been studying SARS viruses for many years and mRNA technology for even longer. It’s not something they just whipped up in a year, they tweaked it, that’s it.

Lencoboy
20-06-21, 08:59
F OFF!

Charming!

spectrum123
20-06-21, 10:10
F OFF!

Not feeling the love eh?

FMP

Charming!

To be fair, it's taken him 6 years to come up with that.

NancyW
20-06-21, 11:54
Nancy, why exactly are you afraid? That might be a good place to start.

Poppy its the long lists of possible adverse affects.. clots, heart, paralysis, changes to our innate immune system. I feel like once I get it, the anxiety of having it in my system and waiting for a catastrophe to happen will spiral my anxiety out of control. I've made a bigger deal out of this then I needed to.

pulisa
20-06-21, 12:43
I reckon you have, Nancy but it's your choice. Do you actually want to be vaccinated?

pulisa
20-06-21, 12:44

Nice one Cyril..

nomorepanic
20-06-21, 12:58
Cyril - that is totally uncalled for.

Lencoboy
20-06-21, 14:05
Cyril - that is totally uncalled for.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Of course, if he doesn't want the jab then that's his choice, but telling us to eff off over it is definitely out of order.

Lencoboy
20-06-21, 14:08

What?

Covid and these jabs didn't even exist back in 2015!

NancyW
20-06-21, 14:30
I reckon you have, Nancy but it's your choice. Do you actually want to be vaccinated?

Yes and no. That's the problem.

pulisa
20-06-21, 14:33
What?

"Cyril" last posted under this username back in 2015

pulisa
20-06-21, 14:34
Yes and no. That's the problem.

You want to be vaccinated but without the risk of any adverse reactions?

Lencoboy
20-06-21, 14:40

Oh that makes sense now.

So he had essentially been in hibernation between then and now?

spectrum123
20-06-21, 14:44
What?

He joined in 2015, this is his second post.

MyNameIsTerry
20-06-21, 15:01
Oh that makes sense now.

So he had essentially been in hibernation between then and now?

No, some members use Chat or PM rather than the forum. Sometimes someone pops up on the forum who seems not to have used it in years but I've seen a few, and had contact with some, that use this place for it's other facilities so it could just be one of them.

So, it doesn't mean a duplicate account.

Regardless, agree with Nic.

NancyW
20-06-21, 15:50
You want to be vaccinated but without the risk of any adverse reactions?

In a perfect world, yes.

Not realistic I understand that.

.Poppy.
20-06-21, 16:35
There is certainly the possibility of adverse effects, but it is insanely low, especially with Moderna and Pfizer. The chances of adverse effects are much higher with covid, which is concerning and is what got me to get the vaccine. Plus, any adverse effects with the vax are going to happen quickly, so after a few days if you’re fine you’re fine. Not the same with Covid. That helped me out - I was nervous but told myself after three days if I was okay I was in the clear.

elizabethalice
20-06-21, 16:45
In a perfect world, yes.

Not realistic I understand that.

Nancy, am I right in thinking you had covid before? I think we spoke about it when I had it too.

If so, I would say that the side effects from the vaccine were 50x better (not exaggerating) than how I felt when I had covid. I did feel particularly awful when I had covid, but it was definitely only a mild case and I still feel lucky for that. I wouldn't want to risk having a more severe case - my boyfriend was really quite unwell and we both want to do anything possible to avoid that again - but even the mild case I did have was horrible and I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I don't think there is a risk of clots for Moderna and Pfizer, and all other side effects are very very manageable.

On the other hand, there is a huge risk of clots from severe covid, as well as countless other illnesses. The Delta variant in the UK is really getting through the unvaccinated population, so I would really really recommend getting it.

I know its scary - especially when people are spouting anti vax nonsense everywhere, but try to just focus on the facts. The vaccine WILL protect you.

If you use instagram, I recommend taking a look at these profiles:
science.sam
sciencewhizliz
twodustytravelers

The first two are scientists involved in immunology and the last account is an ICU nurse (she was a travel nurse before covid hit hence the name). They have lots of great info saved in their highlights :)

You can do it!

nomorepanic
20-06-21, 16:59
Cyril had done loads of posts over the years but then deleted them all.

AntsyVee
20-06-21, 17:35
Also, Nancy, you're assuming that you will have adverse reactions. Many of us on here, myself included, had no adverse reactions, not even a sore arm.

Fishmanpa
20-06-21, 17:53

I just found it a bit odd as it had a familiar anti-vax ring to it, appeared to be targeted and the country flag is very familiar too :whistles:

FMP

pulisa
20-06-21, 17:57
Cyril had done loads of posts over the years but then deleted them all.

Just about sums up Cyril's contribution to NMP then.

Not sure that any of the anti vaxxers' argument on here has ever been persuasive or well presented. Mostly aggressive threats and dramatic prophecies of doom and impending death better suited to the big screen. It would be good to hear from someone reasonable who has chosen not to be vaccinated.

NancyW
21-06-21, 03:13
Nancy, am I right in thinking you had covid before? I think we spoke about it when I had it too.

If so, I would say that the side effects from the vaccine were 50x better (not exaggerating) than how I felt when I had covid. I did feel particularly awful when I had covid, but it was definitely only a mild case and I still feel lucky for that. I wouldn't want to risk having a more severe case - my boyfriend was really quite unwell and we both want to do anything possible to avoid that again - but even the mild case I did have was horrible and I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I don't think there is a risk of clots for Moderna and Pfizer, and all other side effects are very very manageable.

On the other hand, there is a huge risk of clots from severe covid, as well as countless other illnesses. The Delta variant in the UK is really getting through the unvaccinated population, so I would really really recommend getting it.

I know its scary - especially when people are spouting anti vax nonsense everywhere, but try to just focus on the facts. The vaccine WILL protect you.

If you use instagram, I recommend taking a look at these profiles:
science.sam
sciencewhizliz
twodustytravelers

The first two are scientists involved in immunology and the last account is an ICU nurse (she was a travel nurse before covid hit hence the name). They have lots of great info saved in their highlights :)

You can do it!

elizabethalice thank you so much for your reply, yes I did have covid last November.

I am going to do some reading on the profiles you shared. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
ox

NancyW
21-06-21, 03:16
Also, Nancy, you're assuming that you will have adverse reactions. Many of us on here, myself included, had no adverse reactions, not even a sore arm.

Yes, of course I am, thats the way the anxious mind works and its exhausting. :-(

pulisa
21-06-21, 08:00
Let your anxious mind digest some of the information which elizabethalice has posted? Don't base your decision on social media speculation. It's your choice and you have to weigh up the pros of getting protection from the vaccine against the cons of living in fear of getting a rare adverse reaction which will make you very anxious. Illness versus anxiety versus uncertainty.

Gary A
22-06-21, 23:03
The people in this thread... LoL. I'm not against the vaccine. I'm against peer pressure. People can choose to do whatever they want.

Maybe would’ve been a better idea to reply with that in the first place then, no?

phil06
23-06-21, 15:04
Cases in Scotland have doubled in a day 2,000 to almost 3,000 yet 82% vaccinated how worried should we be could maybe see much higher infections than lockdown?

AntsyVee
23-06-21, 15:58
Cases in Scotland have doubled in a day 2,000 to almost 3,000 yet 82% vaccinated how worried should we be could maybe see much higher infections than lockdown?

Dude, a quick look at your Scotland gov't website shows it's 2,167. That's not "almost 3,000". You have got to stop this. You watch the news all day long an catastrophize. It's time to get some professional help Phil.

Gary A
23-06-21, 16:06
Dude, a quick look at your Scotland gov't website shows it's 2,167. That's not "almost 3,000". You have got to stop this. You watch the news all day long an catastrophize. It's time to get some professional help Phil.

That’s yesterday’s cases. Today’s are indeed closer to 3000. It still doesn’t change the fact that new cases don’t have the same impact as they once did, and it’s also a fact that these new cases are almost exclusively in those not fully vaccinated.

I don’t know how many times I can say “hospitalisations and deaths are now much more of a focal point than new cases”, but I guess I’m just going to have to keep saying it for now.

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-21, 16:08

2969, Vee. 2167 was up to yesterday.

But regardless looking at those infection rates is not very helpful when hospitalisations and deaths are so low now.

Lencoboy
23-06-21, 16:23
2969, Vee. 2167 was up to yesterday.

But regardless looking at those infection rates is not very helpful when hospitalisations and deaths are so low now.

Like I said yesterday hospitalisations and deaths now seem to be the 'gold standard', whereas daily cases, despite being higher once again ATM, don't seem to carry the same weight they did previously.

AntsyVee
23-06-21, 16:34
Sorry guys, I can only see yesterday's stats here.

But Phil, I still think you're obsessing.

MyNameIsTerry
23-06-21, 16:38
We're onto Delta "Plus" now!

pulisa
23-06-21, 17:45
Is that the renamed Nepalese variant?

Maybe there will be a Euros variant? Or a Saltyre variant?

Carys
23-06-21, 18:48
How many variants do we have now ? (Like officially MEDIA-DISCUSSED ones that is LOL)

Carys
23-06-21, 18:53
“hospitalisations and deaths are now much more of a focal point than new cases”, but I guess I’m just going to have to keep saying it for now.

Hey, allow me to repeat that for you :yesyes:

Green_tea
23-06-21, 18:58
How many variants do we have now ? (Like officially MEDIA-DISCUSSED ones that is LOL)

There are five variants of concern at the moment, alpha, a variant of alpha without its own designation, beta, gamma and delta . Then there are others being watched and investigated.

source https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/variants-concern

phil06
23-06-21, 19:18
Sorry guys, I can only see yesterday's stats here.

But Phil, I still think you're obsessing.

Switzerland recoded about 170 cases today and everything including night clubs open. We recorded 16k cases in UK it’s rising and rising fast. It’s a strange virus as case numbers are much lower elsewhere UK must have some of the highest case rates currently in the world? We all know why he left the borders open.

pulisa
23-06-21, 19:46
It will be interesting to see how Israel copes with increasing cases of the delta variant.

Carys
23-06-21, 20:09
Thank you Green tea for the info, that is a good link also.

As the saying used, in many media outlets today, states - 'The race is on to get as many double vaccinated as possible'. Vaccine hesitancy in some ethnic minority groups is reducing at a good rate also, which is great to hear.

Nancy, your thread has deviated a little, just wondering how you are doing with your issue ?

NancyW
23-06-21, 21:30
Nancy, your thread has deviated a little, just wondering how you are doing with your issue ?

Thank you for asking, still pondering and trying to work up the nerve. I wish a door to door salesman would come over shot in hand. I shock myself on how much of a baby I am.

Green_tea
23-06-21, 21:55
Thank you for asking, still pondering and trying to work up the nerve. I wish a door to door salesman would come over shot in hand. I shock myself on on how much of a baby I am.

do you have to make an appointment or can you just walk in for vaccinations in your area?

phil06
23-06-21, 22:16
Read this

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1407807681994313733?s=21

2/3rd cases young men upto 44 with scotland’s cases so it’s blamed on the euros. I watch the football myself or with my wife but seems we know the reason for the rises perhaps we are not as disciplined as other countries?

Gary A
23-06-21, 22:17
Switzerland recoded about 170 cases today and everything including night clubs open. We recorded 16k cases in UK it’s rising and rising fast. It’s a strange virus as case numbers are much lower elsewhere UK must have some of the highest case rates currently in the world? We all know why he left the borders open.

We have a variant of coronavirus on our shores that is around 60% more transmissible than the variants that caused the first and second waves and there are still tens of millions of people who have not yet been fully vaccinated.

How many times can you ask the same question and be given the same answer, Phil? Every time the cases rise, you pop up asking why. It’s really not that hard to understand.

Carys
23-06-21, 22:19
Thank you for asking, still pondering and trying to work up the nerve. I wish a door to door salesman would come over shot in hand. I shock myself on on how much of a baby I am.

Yeah, I thought that when building up to mine, I didn't want the thinking time. If somebody came and did it quickly when I was at the 'right point' in my rationalisation process, before I swung back the other way :winks:, it would have been much better. As Green tea has asked, do you have a walk in centre ?

NancyW
23-06-21, 22:20
do you have to make an appointment or can you just walk in for vaccinations in your area?

We have many walk in locations as well as locations you can make an appointment.

phil06
23-06-21, 22:33
We have a variant of coronavirus on our shores that is around 60% more transmissible than the variants that caused the first and second waves and there are still tens of millions of people who have not yet been fully vaccinated.

How many times can you ask the same question and be given the same answer, Phil? Every time the cases rise, you pop up asking why. It’s really not that hard to understand.

82% are vaccinated 60 odd percent will have two doses by freedom day seemingly. Not sure the target for 1st dose why not tell us how many millions have yet to have the jab? I read something like 60% of cases are unjabbed so 40% either had one dose or two doses not working. I believe Australia have said the jabs don’t stop you getting the virus. Percentage wise we have under 18’s and 18% of adults unjabbed is that enough to record more cases than pre lockdown? I asked before but how can you be sure once people are double jabbed cases will fall when I am reading vaccinated people getting this?

Carys
23-06-21, 22:41
Phil, (apparently) your ability to post on the other covid thread has been removed, and now you have simply moved to this thread to do the same thing exactly. This is Nancy's thread about her fears and indecision, the agenda on this thread isn't the same as your agenda to keep asking the same questions over and over.

Gary A
23-06-21, 22:51
82% are vaccinated 60 odd percent will have two doses by freedom day seemingly. Not sure the target for 1st dose why not tell us how many millions have yet to have the jab? I read something like 60% of cases are unjabbed so 40% either had one dose or two doses not working. I believe Australia have said the jabs don’t stop you getting the virus. Percentage wise we have under 18’s and 18% of adults unjabbed is that enough to record more cases than pre lockdown? I asked before but how can you be sure once people are double jabbed cases will fall when I am reading vaccinated people getting this?

A positive test doesn’t always equate to an active infection. PCR tests are designed to detect the presence or lack thereof of viral particles. It does not mean that the virus is either multiplying or shedding. It just means the virus is present. It could even be dead viral particles that the immune system has taken out.

The fact that either unvaccinated or single dose vaccinated people are making up the vast majority of cases points toward two doses providing sterilising immunity. However, we just won’t know for sure until an adequate amount of people have received two doses.

And once again, new cases simply DO NOT have the same impact as they once did. With both the first and second waves, meteoric rises in cases such as we’re seeing now would have the country in strict lockdown. Yet, we’re hearing of ALL restrictions being abandoned within the next two months. Why do you think that is?

New cases are far less relevant when upwards of 90% of them experience either mild illness or nothing at all. The remaining 10% might have worse symptoms, even spend a day or two in hospital, but the threat of hospital wards stacked full of poor souls fighting for breath will be reduced to the point of being far less likely than a slightly rough flu season.

Gary A
23-06-21, 22:55
To be fair, Carys makes a good point. This thread has been hijacked by us both. Perhaps take this elsewhere or start another thread, if allowed of course.

phil06
23-06-21, 23:01
A positive test doesn’t always equate to an active infection. PCR tests are designed to detect the presence or lack thereof of viral particles. It does not mean that the virus is either multiplying or shedding. It just means the virus is present. It could even be dead viral particles that the immune system has taken out.

The fact that either unvaccinated or single dose vaccinated people are making up the vast majority of cases points toward two doses providing sterilising immunity. However, we just won’t know for sure until an adequate amount of people have received two doses.

And once again, new cases simply DO NOT have the same impact as they once did. With both the first and second waves, meteoric rises in cases such as we’re seeing now would have the country in strict lockdown. Yet, we’re hearing of ALL restrictions being abandoned within the next two months. Why do you think that is?

New cases are far less relevant when upwards of 90% of them experience either mild illness or nothing at all. The remaining 10% might have worse symptoms, even spend a day or two in hospital, but the threat of hospital wards stacked full of poor souls fighting for breath will be reduced to the point of being far less likely than a slightly rough flu season.

Ok thanks that makes sense so cases mean less as people get less ill spend less time in hospital. Apologies for posting here just wanted to ask the question somewhere. When I see cases rising it’s been a trigger for my anxiety.

NancyW
24-06-21, 01:59
Yeah, I thought that when building up to mine, I didn't want the thinking time. If somebody came and did it quickly when I was at the 'right point' in my rationalisation process, before I swung back the other way :winks:, it would have been much better. As Green tea has asked, do you have a walk in centre ?

EXACTLY Carys the thinking time is wreaking havoc and absolutely do it quickly when I'm in the right frame of mind.. the swinging back in forth is exhausting. In case you did not see my reply to Green tea, yes we have many walk in locations. All corner pharmacies and many grocery stores are walk in. I was told tonight that in some stores the pharmacy technicians are walking around in the store asking customers shopping if they'd like their covid shot.

Lencoboy
24-06-21, 08:04
Ok thanks that makes sense so cases mean less as people get less ill spend less time in hospital. Apologies for posting here just wanted to ask the question somewhere. When I see cases rising it’s been a trigger for my anxiety.

Phil, it is a cause for concern when daily cases rise, but as Gary keeps suggesting, case increases in general don't carry the same weight now that they did during the first two waves, plus the media are now barely making a song and dancing over it.

If there were still no jabs (which I know you're still not enthusiastic about), it would be a very different story and probably would have meant an automatic full-on national lockdown for the umpteenth time, of which there's still no talk of this time round.

pulisa
24-06-21, 08:20
EXACTLY Carys the thinking time is wreaking havoc and absolutely do it quickly when I'm in the right frame of mind.. the swinging back in forth is exhausting. In case you did not see my reply to Green tea, yes we have many walk in locations. All corner pharmacies and many grocery stores are walk in. I was told tonight that in some stores the pharmacy technicians are walking around in the store asking customers shopping if they'd like their covid shot.

That would be ideal for you, Nancy. No time to think about it..just get it done. That's if you really want the jab and I think you do.

Door to door jabs would be such a good idea for a lot of people, wouldn't it?

NancyW
24-06-21, 12:20
That would be ideal for you, Nancy. No time to think about it..just get it done. That's if you really want the jab and I think you do.

Door to door jabs would be such a good idea for a lot of people, wouldn't it?

Yes it would and yes I do.

I think I have some sort of anticipation anxiety, what ever it is its like a brick wall.

pulisa
24-06-21, 12:41
Anticipatory anxiety is the worst thing to have to deal with when you're really stressed and fearful about something. Once it's actually happening it's not so bad because you're dealing with it rather than worrying about it.

Maybe you could pay a random visit to a pharmacy just to buy something routine and then see whether you could literally just get a jab without any waiting whatsoever? If you can't then come away again. You only went to the pharmacy to buy something anyway.

Carys
24-06-21, 13:00
Maybe you could pay a random visit to a pharmacy just to buy something routine and then see whether you could literally just get a jab without any waiting whatsoever? If you can't then come away again. You only went to the pharmacy to buy something anyway.

Great idea. You have in all honesty thought about it all you need to think about it now. In your heart you want this (I think ?), there are going to be no new facts or anything ground breaking or earth shattering that comes up and changes your ability to accept more easily. So, might as well as just 'have a try' at a quick zap.

pulisa
24-06-21, 13:40
It would just be a "try", Nancy? Don't tell anyone, just go and see how you feel when you are there?

Catkins
24-06-21, 14:33
Well there's mass PCR testing in schools locally today.

But, I was relieved to see on the staff newsletter that there are still less than 5 people in hospital in North Cumbria. So still maintaining low hospital admissions - this is good news.

NancyW
24-06-21, 15:06
It would just be a "try", Nancy? Don't tell anyone, just go and see how you feel when you are there?

I think it would, I can't believe I'm such a baby. Thank you, ill keep you posted. ox

phil06
24-06-21, 15:20
I was at the shops today and people almost bump into you which is annoying as I always worry a simple touch can spread the virus any thoughts? I am hearing of people cancelling plans due to knowing someone who had the virus so social things not happening either. Cases are still high which has made me feel like delaying my hotel booking a few months..I was in a busy shopping centre today but I want to enjoy my holiday without worrying COVID has gone high again?

Fishmanpa
24-06-21, 15:57
I always worry a simple touch can spread the virus any thoughts? .... I want to enjoy my holiday without worrying COVID has gone high again?

I don't know... just a thought... GET VAXXED? :shrug:

Ohhh right... I forgot... Sorry

It’s pointless arguing with people like you are are pro lockdown pro mask pro vaccine. The forum is a cult and doesn’t respect the views of all in society. So on that basis I will not bother wasting my time arguing with people with a one sided opinion maybe argue with yourselves about that will work well.

Yawn. I will click off this argument got better things to do. This topic is toxic as is the entire forum. I’ve gave my opinion I don’t care if you don’t like it.

FMP

Carys
24-06-21, 16:16
I was at the shops today and people almost bump into you which is annoying as I always worry a simple touch can spread the virus any thoughts? I am hearing of people cancelling plans due to knowing someone who had the virus so social things not happening either. Cases are still high which has made me feel like delaying my hotel booking a few months..I was in a busy shopping centre today but I want to enjoy my holiday without worrying COVID has gone high again?

Phil, you have asked this question a number of times in different ways, and last time I gave you this answer (and previous times) you have become annoyed. You keep asking what can I do to solve these problems, there is ONLY ONE solution, well a few really - wear masks, use hand gel, keep your distance - but most importantly get vaccinated. Getting your vaccines will solve all your concerns and mean you can go on holiday without fear AND it will mean future holidays outside the UK can be done. The consequences of non-vaccination are the fears you have and curtailing of life experiences in the coming months. There is NO OTHER ANSWER. (Apart from to sit at home and don't go anywhere for another year or more instead ?)

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-21, 16:24
I think it would, I can't believe I'm such a baby. Thank you, ill keep you posted. ox

Nancy, we all have our weak spots on here so don't kick yourself, as hard as that is for us.

I think pulisa's suggestion is a great one. Don't put a big scary deadline in your head. With this you still have the choice to go through with it or if it's too much you can walk away. That's less pressure. Go in and do a bit of shopping in there and perhaps a bit of grounding & self talk.

It's what works for us. Sometimes it's best to fix a date as it makes us step up and not back out. Anticipatory anxiety can change from worrying about the booking part and now moves onto getting to the day and the event itself. Sometimes the closer you get, the easier it gets because we are closer to taking action as opposed to sitting thinking about it.

But that's not the only way. Sometimes leaving yourself an exit route can help reduce the pressure.

Make it smaller to you. Smaller goals are more likely achieved. Let them add up to the bigger goal. So maybe go for a walk first or do some other shopping that helps get you ready? Or warm up in the days before by getting closer to the venue itself with the later goals being going in and finally the jab (you can always create a reason to go in e.g. only to buy something this time or to ask advice on something).

Best of luck. No one here will judge you either way, I'm sure we're all used to the battle of doing what others take for granted.

phil06
24-06-21, 16:24
Phil, you have asked this question a number of times in different ways, and last time I gave you this answer (and previous times) you have become annoyed. You keep asking what can I do to solve these problems, there is ONLY ONE solution, well a few really - wear masks, use hand gel, keep your distance - but most importantly get vaccinated. Getting your vaccines will solve all your concerns and mean you can go on holiday without fear AND it will mean future holidays outside the UK can be done. The consequences of non-vaccination are the fears you have and curtailing of life experiences in the coming months. There is NO OTHER ANSWER. (Apart from to sit at home and don't go anywhere for another year or more instead ?)

Even if I took the vaccine i am afraid I will still worry. Double jabbed people can still get covid yes mild but to be honest I don’t even want mild COVID. You still have to social distance and mask up if you had two vaccines it I believe USA has different rules for jabbed people.

Lencoboy
24-06-21, 16:43
The BBC have barely mentioned the newer Delta Plus variant on their website today, plus the 40-odd (culminative) cases of it confirmed in the UK so far are allegedly in Scotland and Wales, but not England or NI so far.

Dr JC explained in his latest video last night that as a consequence, there has been surge testing in Scotland in particular, which probably partly explains the sudden jump to 16k+ cases UK-wide over the past couple of days, which obviously accounts for existing variants in the main, plus he admitted to not being overly concerned about Delta Plus ATM.

The BBC website still isn't making a song and dancing over cases being over 16k since yesterday, neither have the national daily papers on their front pages so far, as obviously (like Gary keeps reiterating) daily cases don't seem to have the same impact now that they used to.

What's more, I can't sense any major public panic over the situation in the UK right now, unlike during the first two waves, especially the first one.

MyNameIsTerry
24-06-21, 16:51
Is that the renamed Nepalese variant?

Maybe there will be a Euros variant? Or a Saltyre variant?

Yes, that's the one.

A Scottish variant would probably be named Westminster since it's the woeful cause of all ills up there :biggrin:

Fishmanpa
24-06-21, 16:56
The OP is in the US where the Delta variant is poised to become the dominant strain. As I said earlier in the thread. All indications point to the vaccine being an effective deterrent and protection against it.

FMP

NancyW
24-06-21, 17:11
The OP is in the US where the Delta variant is poised to become the dominant strain. As I said earlier in the thread. All indications point to the vaccine being an effective deterrent and protection against it.

FMP

Fishman !! Send me some bravery .. I feel like I need to get dragged by the hair and dumped in the pharmacy ! (so dumb grrrrr)

Gary A
24-06-21, 17:17
Even if I took the vaccine i am afraid I will still worry. Double jabbed people can still get covid yes mild but to be honest I don’t even want mild COVID. You still have to social distance and mask up if you had two vaccines it I believe USA has different rules for jabbed people.

So what is it you want, exactly?

AntsyVee
24-06-21, 17:29

FMP

Yes, the hotspot right now is the Ozarks, in southwest Missouri, especially the Springfield to Branson area. Many of them didn't get the vaccine because of their "politics" and the Delta variant is now running rampant there. For those who were vaccinated, they are not having issues. A few have been infected that were also vaccinated, but due to the vaccine, their symptoms were very mild and they avoided the hospital.

I was also reading that getting more people vaccinated lowers the possibility for new variants. The less people who have active infections, the less chance for mutations.

Carys
24-06-21, 17:30
Even if I took the vaccine i am afraid I will still worry. Double jabbed people can still get covid yes mild but to be honest I don’t even want mild COVID.

Oh come on Phil, this is quite frankly a silly statement. Would you rather a running nose and cough or being hospitalised ? I'd also rather not have ANY COVID AT ALL, but if I'm going to then I'll have the very mild one please thanks to my vaccine. The one thing you most certainly won't get around is when vaccine passports are needed, you won't be able to bend the rules to suit yourself then (Yes, of course I still wear my mask and distance as I have a social responsibility.)

You have 2 choices to solve your problems in your question -

1. Vaccination.

2. Stay holed-up for as long as COVID lasts.

Gary A
24-06-21, 17:45
1. Vaccination.

2. Stay holed-up for as long as COVID lasts.

3. Become God himself and end Covid.

I’m thinking option 3 is probably more likely than option 1 to be honest.

pulisa
24-06-21, 17:46
Fishman !! Send me some bravery .. I feel like I need to get dragged by the hair and dumped in the pharmacy ! (so dumb grrrrr)

You're not dumb or a baby. Don't make a special trip to the pharmacy..Just go when you next need something and get your bearings re their arrangements for giving the vaccine. That's all. No need to do anything other than take a look and come away again. You'll then have a visual picture of how things will look should you decide to go ahead one day..

AntsyVee
24-06-21, 17:54
3. Become God himself and end Covid.

I’m thinking option 3 is probably more likely than option 1 to be honest.

How do I get option 3???

pulisa
24-06-21, 18:03
Just get yourself a little Divine Intervention and the world's your oyster, Vee....

.Poppy.
24-06-21, 18:05
Yes, the hotspot right now is the Ozarks, in southwest Missouri, especially the Springfield to Branson area. Many of them didn't get the vaccine because of their "politics" and the Delta variant is now running rampant there. For those who were vaccinated, they are not having issues. A few have been infected that were also vaccinated, but due to the vaccine, their symptoms were very mild and they avoided the hospital.

I was also reading that getting more people vaccinated lowers the possibility for new variants. The less people who have active infections, the less chance for mutations.

YEP, and I am supposed to go to a bachlorette party at the Lake of the Ozarks in early July. I so badly want to go, it's one of my best friends, and I'm vaccinated but....I don't even want a mild case of covid, frankly. I don't want to bring it back to my older parents. I have another best friend who isn't vaccinated at all yet as she is only eligible for a specific vaccine....so I honestly have no idea what to do.

AntsyVee
24-06-21, 18:09
YEP, and I am supposed to go to a bachlorette party at the Lake of the Ozarks in early July. I so badly want to go, it's one of my best friends, and I'm vaccinated but....I don't even want a mild case of covid, frankly. I don't want to bring it back to my older parents. I have another best friend who isn't vaccinated at all yet as she is only eligible for a specific vaccine....so I honestly have no idea what to do.

If it were me, I would encourage the bride to change her plans. Are you good friends with her? I wouldn't want my friends to go to a hotspot and get sick, especially with a wedding coming up.

AntsyVee
24-06-21, 18:10
Just get yourself a little Divine Intervention and the world's your oyster, Vee....

Do you know how hard it is to get Divine Intervention, P???? I've been on the waiting list for years!!

pulisa
24-06-21, 19:20
Me too...but maybe you could get bumped up the list if you mentioned your outstanding contribution to educating the masses on NMP?

Fishmanpa
24-06-21, 19:33

I hear you Nancy. Fear of the vaccine seems to be a common theme here although many have pushed through and got it done. My wife and I had the two Pfizer jabs and other than a bit of yuck feeling for a day or two we were fine. That seems to be the common side effect. Pretty much like the flu jab TBH. Also, when you go, they have medical staff and such to watch over things and make you wait around for 15 minutes or so and make sure you're good. On top of that, it really is an in and out deal, no long waiting lines so that should help minimize the anticipatory anxiety about it.

You can do it! :yesyes:

Bravery sent! :winks:

Positive thoughts

phil06
25-06-21, 10:37
They say (newspapers) a simple sneeze or blocked nose is covid these days but none on nhs symptoms page. It’s so easy to worry about covid these days as anything cold related you think is COVID.

Carys
25-06-21, 10:55
Nancy, you will have such a feeling of achievement and be so relieved if you manage this.

Lencoboy
25-06-21, 12:46
They say (newspapers) a simple sneeze or blocked nose is covid these days but none on nhs symptoms page. It’s so easy to worry about covid these days as anything cold related you think is COVID.

Phil, I suggest you avoid reading the papers and try to concentrate mostly on reputable sources like the BBC and the NHS websites if you really feel so compelled to keep abreast of the pandemic situation.

Many of the national daily rags have a lot to answer for, even during less troubled times.

pulisa
25-06-21, 13:10
There's some good photographic evidence on the front page of today's Sun of Matt Hancock's approach to social distancing...He's been keeping abreast of the pandemic:winks:

Carys
25-06-21, 13:33
From the image I saw he was simply keeping busy reviewing NHS ASS-ets, a real hands-on approach.

pulisa
25-06-21, 13:55
Indeed, Carys..I think he was clinching a new deal with an interested party. An unprecedented deal of course.

spectrum123
25-06-21, 14:33
Indeed, Carys..I think he was clinching a new deal with an interested party. An unprecedented deal of course.

I think he was getting to the bottom of the matter at hand (or hands).

pulisa
25-06-21, 14:43
The Handcock Manoeuvre?

elizabethalice
25-06-21, 14:49

Nancy do you have anyone around you who is keen for you to get the vaccine? You could maybe chat to them and see if they can pop to the pharmacy with you. It's also a good idea to go there first and get the lay of the land! But it might help you to have someone who can go through the process with you. My boyfriend doesn't even have HA or anything usually but he wanted me to go with him still! Don't feel bad about it, as someone else said we all have our triggers (I have panic attacks every time I need to see a dr about anything!) And this is just one of yours. But I do think you will feel way better once you've had it :D

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-21, 15:32
There's some good photographic evidence on the front page of today's Sun of Matt Hancock's approach to social distancing...He's been keeping abreast of the pandemic:winks:

Rule of six. He's allowed 5 more :biggrin:

Could it be classed as outdoor exercise? :whistles:

.Poppy.
25-06-21, 15:53
If it were me, I would encourage the bride to change her plans. Are you good friends with her? I wouldn't want my friends to go to a hotspot and get sick, especially with a wedding coming up.

I am good friends with her, as well as the maid of honor who is planning the trip. But I don't know that they'll be easily persuaded to change plans. The bride already had Covid and pretty much everyone going is vaccinated I think, so they'll probably believe that's good enough. Also, bride and maid of honor weren't really careful before either - lots of social events and parties.

I feel like it will be easier if my unvaccinated friend backs out because, well, she's unvaccinated but I do fear the fall out if I say I'm not willing to go. I know the vax makes it less likely people will shed the virus, so I suppose I could go and just stay outside and away from people as much as possible but idk. I do trust the vaccine and I do feel comfortable starting to do smaller, normal things but a trip to a packed hotspot just seems really risky to me, vaccinated or not.

Nancy - I know you have a lot of fears, but one thing that helped me too when I got vaccinated was that if I had side effects I knew I'd get a free pass :). I don't have an SO but I went to my parents' house, they watched my dog, and I got some good sleep, watched movies, ate yummy foods. I felt a bit crummy but overall it was pretty nice.

Lencoboy
25-06-21, 16:25
I have read on the BBC website a few minutes ago that so far no one in the UK under the age of 50 who is double-jabbed has died of the Delta variant so far.

Also just 18 Covid deaths in total today. I know it's edged up very slightly compared to recent weeks but still fairly low nevertheless, and still a far cry from back in January when daily deaths were in excess of 1k.

pulisa
25-06-21, 18:09
Rule of six. He's allowed 5 more :biggrin:

Could it be classed as outdoor exercise? :whistles:

I believe that social distancing isn't compulsory in the workplace...They could of course have been conducting an experiment under the watchful eye of the Sage scientists..Line of duty stuff?

No one has mentioned his poor wife. Awful to have that splashed all over a tabloid for everyone to lap up. Public humiliation.

Gary A
25-06-21, 18:35
Brings a whole new meaning to “eat out to help out”, really.

AntsyVee
25-06-21, 18:37
I am good friends with her, as well as the maid of honor who is planning the trip. But I don't know that they'll be easily persuaded to change plans. The bride already had Covid and pretty much everyone going is vaccinated I think, so they'll probably believe that's good enough. Also, bride and maid of honor weren't really careful before either - lots of social events and parties.

I feel like it will be easier if my unvaccinated friend backs out because, well, she's unvaccinated but I do fear the fall out if I say I'm not willing to go. I know the vax makes it less likely people will shed the virus, so I suppose I could go and just stay outside and away from people as much as possible but idk. I do trust the vaccine and I do feel comfortable starting to do smaller, normal things but a trip to a packed hotspot just seems really risky to me, vaccinated or not.

Your unvaccinated friend SHOULD NOT go. You should just tell that person that right now. As for the rest of you, the vaccine should protect you. Even if you were to get Covid, it would be a mild case. The worry is who you could pass it to coming back home. If you're going to go party in a hotspot, you all should quarantine for the week you get back, as children are not vaccinated yet.

AntsyVee
25-06-21, 18:38
Me too...but maybe you could get bumped up the list if you mentioned your outstanding contribution to educating the masses on NMP?

I did send them my CV...maybe it's time I mailed cookies?? Grease the wheels so to speak?

Carys
25-06-21, 19:00
They could of course have been conducting an experiment under the watchful eye of the Sage scientists..Line of duty stuff?

This govt are so awful, I'd honestly not put it past them to actually say this publically.

pulisa
25-06-21, 19:36
I think he should resign in view of the hypocrisy. I wonder who leaked the image? Someone in league with Cummings?

Lencoboy
25-06-21, 21:37
I think he should resign in view of the hypocrisy. I wonder who leaked the image? Someone in league with Cummings?

Little wonder a sizeable proportion of the British public are so disobedient of late!

Lencoboy
25-06-21, 21:42
This govt are so awful, I'd honestly not put it past them to actually say this publically.

Mark my words, this will all be water under the bridge this time next week and the Tories will be back on top in the opinion polls once again, then all forgiven and forgotten!

And at the same time it will probably be someone in the Labour Party or the Lib Dems that will no doubt be copping it in the neck over some 'scandal' or other by then, and dubbed the 'bogeymen'!!

MyNameIsTerry
25-06-21, 23:26
I believe that social distancing isn't compulsory in the workplace...They could of course have been conducting an experiment under the watchful eye of the Sage scientists..Line of duty stuff?

No one has mentioned his poor wife. Awful to have that splashed all over a tabloid for everyone to lap up. Public humiliation.

I'm imagining a load of white coats with clipboards ticking boxes as he's grabbing her bum. It's hard being a volunteer...

I'm not bothered about the social distancing thing in this but how in normal times he should resign for his misconduct.

glassgirlw
26-06-21, 02:11
So I live about three hours from the current “hotspot” in the US - Springfield MO. The vax uptake rate down there is something around 20%?? Crazy low. Their hospitalization rates are through the roof. Our vax uptake rate where I live is around 60%. So not really super high, however the 15 hospitals in my region all have less than 10 Covid patients each - and none of the patients are fully vaxxed. This is glaring proof that the vax protects you from covid. You’ll never convince me otherwise, even though there are plenty of CT’ers in my area that do their best to spew nonsense reasoning against the vaccine. Get vaxxed.

Nancy - I’m like you, was terrified of side effects or what it might do to me 10 years down the road. But I realized I’m not interested in spending those years constantly wondering if the tickle in my throat was Covid and oh what if I end up in icu on a vent, and on, and on, and on. So - I took the first available appt I could get and got the vaccine. Sore arm with first shot of Pfizer, second shot felt a little crummy for about 12 hours and then was back to normal. My second dose was in April. The number of times I’ve worried about Covid since then is close to zero lol. Such an odd feeling after spending the last year plus worried about it daily. It’s crazy how much better I feel mentally, post vaccine. I promise you it will be worth it.

Lencoboy
26-06-21, 07:41
So I live about three hours from the current “hotspot” in the US - Springfield MO. The vax uptake rate down there is something around 20%?? Crazy low. Their hospitalization rates are through the roof. Our vax uptake rate where I live is around 60%. So not really super high, however the 15 hospitals in my region all have less than 10 Covid patients each - and none of the patients are fully vaxxed. This is glaring proof that the vax protects you from covid. You’ll never convince me otherwise, even though there are plenty of CT’ers in my area that do their best to spew nonsense reasoning against the vaccine. Get vaxxed.

Nancy - I’m like you, was terrified of side effects or what it might do to me 10 years down the road. But I realized I’m not interested in spending those years constantly wondering if the tickle in my throat was Covid and oh what if I end up in icu on a vent, and on, and on, and on. So - I took the first available appt I could get and got the vaccine. Sore arm with first shot of Pfizer, second shot felt a little crummy for about 12 hours and then was back to normal. My second dose was in April. The number of times I’ve worried about Covid since then is close to zero lol. Such an odd feeling after spending the last year plus worried about it daily. It’s crazy how much better I feel mentally, post vaccine. I promise you it will be worth it.

Good on you.

As far as I'm concerned (and as harsh as it sounds) the serial antivaxx conspiracy theorists are the ones who are most liable to face the music eventually when it comes to being infected with Covid, let alone being a bad influence on the vulnerable and gullible.

With regards their irresponsible scaremongering BS propaganda concerning jabs, plus being non-believers in Covid in general, they need to own it!

pulisa
26-06-21, 07:59
I tend to think that those who try to convince others that the vaccines are toxic and poisonous will be absolutely fine but not so the more naive and vulnerable who could take the rap for being easily suggestible.

elizabethalice
26-06-21, 09:36
The number of times I’ve worried about Covid since then is close to zero lol. Such an odd feeling after spending the last year plus worried about it daily. It’s crazy how much better I feel mentally, post vaccine. I promise you it will be worth it.

Totally agree with this! I was SO worried about getting covid, then I ended up actually getting it and the next 2 months were focused on recovery. After 3 months, I worried that my natural immunity was waning and I'd get it again! I've had my first jab now and feel less worried about contracting it again, and I'm sure I'll feel even better by my 2nd jab. Its nice not to have to worry about it after spending over a year obsessing! So I would really really really recommend it. It's one of those things, it's like a huge amount of anxiety first and then you'll start to feel lots better very quickly.

Regarding long term side effects, I'm no expert but I do have some dr friends and have been working with scientists recently and everything I've heard says that vaccines don't produce long term side effects - because you only have them twice, that's not how long term side effects work. Remember that while this vaccine is new, mRNA technology has been around for ages :)

NancyW
26-06-21, 11:37
Glassgirl and Elizabeth Thank you! I appreciate your responses more than you know :-)

NancyW
28-06-21, 18:16
#1 is done. I went this morning. Got Pfizer.
Thank you for all of the encouragement.

Now let's see if I freak out over side-effects. Anxiety is so lame. 🙄

AntsyVee
28-06-21, 18:34
Good job, Nancy!!!

Carys
28-06-21, 19:32
Woooaaahhhhhh, go Nancy !

pulisa
28-06-21, 19:41
Fantastic news, Nancy!!!:yahoo:Here's the place for instant Freak Out Therapy but maybe you won't need it...

Fishmanpa
28-06-21, 19:47
Way to go and Thank You! :yesyes:

FMP

elizabethalice
28-06-21, 20:31

Now let's see if I freak out over side-effects. Anxiety is so lame. 🙄

Congratulations Nancy!!!! That's incredible news! 😁 well done, it's a huge thing to be able to face your fears like you've done and you've taken an amazing step to protect yourself and others.

Don't worry if you feel rough for a few days, it's very normal especially as you've already had covid. I felt achy and tired and my boyfriend had a low grade fever. All completely normal :) equally my friend had had covid before and was completely fine apart from a sore arm so you may be fine too!

NancyW
28-06-21, 22:35
Thank you !!
I have a low level of anxiety brewing waiting for side affects. Trying to go about my normal day.

I made up my mind to go this morning, called 1 pharmacy, they had moderna, called the 2nd pharmacy, they had moderna and J&J, went to the 3rd pharmacy, my friend works there, they had all 3, moderna, J&J and Pfizer.
She went back with me, rubbed my shoulder while pharmacist gave me the vaccine then sat with me for 15 minutes.

Now that's a friend <3

elizabethalice
28-06-21, 22:45
Thank you !!
I have a low level of anxiety brewing waiting for side affects. Trying to go about my normal day.

I made up my mind to go this morning, called 1 pharmacy, they had moderna, called the 2nd pharmacy, they had moderna and J&J, went to the 3rd pharmacy, my friend works there, they had all 3, moderna, J&J and Pfizer.
She went back with me, rubbed my shoulder while pharmacist gave me the vaccine then sat with me for 15 minutes.

Now that's a friend <3

That's so lovely! If you get any side effects you should notice them by the end of the day or latest tomorrow morning but they will be mild. Just make sure you have some paracetamol and keep us updated on here :)

NancyW
28-06-21, 23:10
Just make sure you have some paracetamol and keep us updated on here :)

Is that tylenol? Acetaminophen?

When is it ok to take it? I thought we are to wait? I didnt think to ask the pharmacist.

AntsyVee
29-06-21, 00:15
Is that tylenol? Acetaminophen?

When is it ok to take it? I thought we are to wait? I didnt think to ask the pharmacist.

Yes it is. You can take it any time after you get the shot.

glassgirlw
29-06-21, 03:35
Nancy, amazing - good for you for pushing thru the fear!!!

I didn’t need any Tylenol with #1, but I did with #2. My doc told me it could be taken anytime after the shot as needed.

NancyW
29-06-21, 03:58
Nancy, amazing - good for you for pushing thru the fear!!!

I didn’t need any Tylenol with #1, but I did with #2. My doc told me it could be taken anytime after the shot as needed.

I'm at 12 hours and ready to go to bed, my arm hurts and I'm tired but it is the end of the day.

I did not take any tylenol yet, we'll see how tomorrow goes.

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-21, 06:40
Well done, Nancy :yesyes::yahoo:

You beat it getting there. Wanting to do something that is important can override the horrible symptoms. Taking action is often better than sitting thinking making you feel powerless. You're not powerless as you have proved. Remember that when it's trying to upset you over potential side effects which you may never even have or are transient & manageable.

It's great your friend helped too. It's not just support but involving someone else can make us find the strength and commit ourselves to get it done.

When your 2nd comes around you will get it done too.

Lencoboy
29-06-21, 08:35
Well done, Nancy :yesyes::yahoo:

You beat it getting there. Wanting to do something that is important can override the horrible symptoms. Taking action is often better than sitting thinking making you feel powerless. You're not powerless as you have proved. Remember that when it's trying to upset you over potential side effects which you may never even have or are transient & manageable.

It's great your friend helped too. It's not just support but involving someone else can make us find the strength and commit ourselves to get it done.

When your 2nd comes around you will get it done too.

Definitely. Nancy's second jab will be far easier than the first.

In the meantime, I seriously suggest that she (and everyone else) ignores the serial conspiracy theorists and general rubbish circulating online.

Gary A
29-06-21, 09:21
Something I’ve read a bit about over the past few days that I think needs addressing, is the apparent discovery that 62% of people who’ve died of the Delta variant were fully vaccinated. People not vaccinated at all account for a much lower death toll. This, in the eyes of the “told you so” brigade, is confirmation that the vaccines are more dangerous than the virus.

What we first have to look at here is who exactly are the people who are fully vaccinated. The first group were the most vulnerable, those over the age of 80 and those with serious underlying conditions. Deaths in this group, unfortunately, are ALWAYS going to be more common regardless of vaccination.

It’s estimated that this group have upwards of 95% uptake of two doses of vaccine. So, of course with that level of uptake in this group, anyone who does die is far far more likely to be fully vaccinated.

Remember, no vaccine is 100% effective, and with efficacy levels of around 90% this of course still leaves a fair number of people who won’t have that protection. Even more so in people over the age of 80 and with serious underlying conditions. That’s just a medical fact that nobody has ever denied.

Those not fully vaccinated now are those under the age of 40 with no underlying conditions. Again, these people are at a very low risk regardless of vaccination. I do hope people can see how these folk are warping this data to suit their agenda.

It’s rather like saying most people who die in car accidents are wearing a seatbelt, therefore proving that wearing a seatbelt is more dangerous than not wearing one. Of course, that’s not the case at all, it’s just that the vast majority of those driving are wearing seatbelts. The same goes for this apparent 62%. The vast majority of them are fully vaccinated, but they are still by far the most likely group to succumb to the virus due to other factors.

We’re living in a world right now that must see each and every one of us apply very high levels of critical thinking when we see things like this. These people are very good at twisting data to suit themselves, right now is a good time to ensure that you take these claims with a very large pinch of salt.

Lencoboy
29-06-21, 09:47
Something I’ve read a bit about over the past few days that I think needs addressing, is the apparent discovery that 62% of people who’ve died of the Delta variant were fully vaccinated. People not vaccinated at all account for a much lower death toll. This, in the eyes of the “told you so” brigade, is confirmation that the vaccines are more dangerous than the virus.

What we first have to look at here is who exactly are the people who are fully vaccinated. The first group were the most vulnerable, those over the age of 80 and those with serious underlying conditions. Deaths in this group, unfortunately, are ALWAYS going to be more common regardless of vaccination.

It’s estimated that this group have upwards of 95% uptake of two doses of vaccine. So, of course with that level of uptake in this group, anyone who does die is far far more likely to be fully vaccinated.

Remember, no vaccine is 100% effective, and with efficacy levels of around 90% this of course still leaves a fair number of people who won’t have that protection. Even more so in people over the age of 80 and with serious underlying conditions. That’s just a medical fact that nobody has ever denied.

Those not fully vaccinated now are those under the age of 40 with no underlying conditions. Again, these people are at a very low risk regardless of vaccination. I do hope people can see how these folk are warping this data to suit their agenda.

It’s rather like saying most people who die in car accidents are wearing a seatbelt, therefore proving that wearing a seatbelt is more dangerous than not wearing one. Of course, that’s not the case at all, it’s just that the vast majority of those driving are wearing seatbelts. The same goes for this apparent 62%. The vast majority of them are fully vaccinated, but they are still by far the most likely group to succumb to the virus due to other factors.

We’re living in a world right now that must see each and every one of us apply very high levels of critical thinking when we see things like this. These people are very good at twisting data to suit themselves, right now is a good time to ensure that you take these claims with a very large pinch of salt.

Very wise words there Gary.

It's almost as ludicrous as the myth that was circulating very early on in the pandemic that taking up smoking lessened the risk of catching Covid, which of course was disproven and discredited as a load of old pony, and nothing more than playing into the agendas of the likes of FOREST, who are a pro-smokers' group in the UK and the typical 'smoking never did past generations any harm' brigades!

pulisa
29-06-21, 13:25
How are you doing, Nancy?

NancyW
29-06-21, 13:29
How are you doing, Nancy?

Doing ok, arm is sore and I feel a little blah. I didnt sleep very well, arm hurt. My fitbit says I slept 5 hours and 38 minutes probably why I feel blah lol.

Thank you for checking on me <3

elizabethalice
29-06-21, 14:01
Doing ok, arm is sore and I feel a little blah. I didnt sleep very well, arm hurt. My fitbit says I slept 5 hours and 38 minutes probably why I feel blah lol.

Thank you for checking on me <3

Blah was definitely how I felt after mine! If you were going to have a fever or anything you would have probably noticed it by now. Just rest up and you'll be ok in a few days :)

NancyW
29-06-21, 14:07
Blah was definitely how I felt after mine! If you were going to have a fever or anything you would have probably noticed it by now. Just rest up and you'll be ok in a few days :)

No fever my temp was 97.03 this morning. Im up and around its 9am. Just find myself going right back to the couch. I have been watching the updates on this horrible condo collapse in Florida. I keep hoping they pull someone out alive, its day 6 sadly hope is declining.

pulisa
29-06-21, 14:10
I think blah is quite acceptable! You're probably exhausted from all the anxiety anyway.

I got nothing more dramatic than a sore arm on both occasions (Pfizer-early sixties).

Well done again!

elizabethalice
29-06-21, 14:21

I like the seatbelt analogy! Also as deaths are so low now (obviously even one is too many) but 62% of 50 in a week is very different to 50% of 10000 like we had at the peak (just pulled those numbers out of thin air, they might not be right). But if 100% of the population is vaccinated, 100% of deaths will be in vaccinated people, and that's just because the vaccine isn't perfect - but looking at the rates shows how effective it is!

No vaccine is completely perfect - I got bit by a dog in Laos a few years back and even though I'd had 2 rabies jabs I still needed to get 2 boosters. But I was so glad I'd had the pre jabs because if I didn't I would have had to get immunoglobulin as well which they don't have much of in Laos - I would have probably had to go to Thailand to get it sorted!

But despite vaccines not being perfect, they are WELL worth getting when necessary. Covid and the rest!

NancyW
29-06-21, 14:46
I think blah is quite acceptable! You're probably exhausted from all the anxiety anyway.

I got nothing more dramatic than a sore arm on both occasions (Pfizer-early sixties).

Well done again!

Me too.. 61

On another note, my good friend needed to get bloodwork done, she had extreme anxiety due to a bad experience. I didn't go with her this morning but last night and while she was waiting we kept in touch by text. She said it really helped her get through it, as did my friend coming with me yesterday.

Maybe we are on to something here. Anxiety can be so isolating and we can feel shame and weak.. allowing someone inside the circle of fear with us to lean on may be the help at least some of us need.

MyNameIsTerry
29-06-21, 16:24

I saw The Guardian do a poor follow up to this from the DM. They missed everything you say here. The double jabbed % is under half and it's these who are most likely fitting the more vulnerable groups.

Vaccination or not even a mild infection in someone with serious health problems can be problematic. And until they analyse this all we have are vague facts without qualification of whether nothing would have stopped these deaths.

The glaring fact is with vaccination everything has changed for vulnerable people. Imagine pre vaccination with barely any lockdown measures with Delta? Deaths would be even higher than before.

Doing half hearted media reports only feeds the agendas of those who want to pick holes for their anti vaxxer causes.

Lencoboy
29-06-21, 16:42
I saw The Guardian do a poor follow up to this from the DM. They missed everything you say here. The double jabbed % is under half and it's these who are most likely fitting the more vulnerable groups.

Vaccination or not even a mild infection in someone with serious health problems can be problematic. And until they analyse this all we have are vague facts without qualification of whether nothing would have stopped these deaths.

The glaring fact is with vaccination everything has changed for vulnerable people. Imagine pre vaccination with barely any lockdown measures with Delta? Deaths would be even higher than before.

Doing half hearted media reports only feeds the agendas of those who want to pick holes for their anti vaxxer causes.

Lazy journalism me thinks, Terry.

I really dread to imagine what the Covid situation might have been like right now if the jabs were still non-existent.

pulisa
29-06-21, 18:00
Me too.. 61

On another note, my good friend needed to get bloodwork done, she had extreme anxiety due to a bad experience. I didn't go with her this morning but last night and while she was waiting we kept in touch by text. She said it really helped her get through it, as did my friend coming with me yesterday.

Maybe we are on to something here. Anxiety can be so isolating and we can feel shame and weak.. allowing someone inside the circle of fear with us to lean on may be the help at least some of us need.

I agree, Nancy. It could make all the difference especially with older people who are used to keeping their issues secret.

phil06
01-07-21, 16:13
I read cases could rise to 80,000 by mid July. Looking at the figures and the rises seems this will happen. Also heard people say the virus will burn itself out and run out of hosts soon and this may be the last big wave what’s everybody’s thoughts?

Lencoboy
01-07-21, 17:24
I read cases could rise to 80,000 by mid July. Looking at the figures and the rises seems this will happen. Also heard people say the virus will burn itself out and run out of hosts soon and this may be the last big wave what’s everybody’s thoughts?

I dunno about that, but I do find it most ironic that Covid cases in Scotland are at their highest levels (4k today) so far during this entire pandemic, considering they seemed to be far more on the case (no pun intended) than England at controlling the situation during the first two waves.

I know England have also got it pretty dire right now but cases in both Wales and NI have fallen today, neither has there have been any Covid deaths in those two UK nations today.

The overall rise in cases UK-wide today (27k) is quite a bit slower than yesterdays rise (26k yesterday vs 20k on Tuesday).

phil06
01-07-21, 17:34
I dunno about that, but I do find it most ironic that Covid cases in Scotland are at their highest levels (4k today) so far during this entire pandemic, considering they seemed to be far more on the case (no pun intended) than England at controlling the situation during the first two waves.

I know England have also got it pretty dire right now but cases in both Wales and NI have fallen today, neither has there have been any Covid deaths in those two UK nations today.

The overall rise in cases UK-wide today (27k) is quite a bit slower than yesterdays rise (26k yesterday vs 20k on Tuesday).

Sounds like it’s slowing in UK. 2,000 cases were scotland fans but perhaps we have a lack of herd immunity in Scotland if less people caught the virus? Or perhaps people are not sticking to the rules?

Lencoboy
01-07-21, 18:00
Sounds like it’s slowing in UK. 2,000 cases were scotland fans but perhaps we have a lack of herd immunity in Scotland if less people caught the virus? Or perhaps people are not sticking to the rules?

I think many people have simply stopped caring now period.

And many of those will no doubt be the ones having epic hissy fits and protesting en masse in central London if (heaven forbid) we're forced into a fourth national lockdown later on!

phil06
01-07-21, 19:54
What was the rise last Wednesday to Thursday I am sure it was a bigger increase mid week I wonder if it’s slowing?

Lencoboy
01-07-21, 20:17
What was the rise last Wednesday to Thursday I am sure it was a bigger increase mid week I wonder if it’s slowing?

Check out:
coronavirus.data.gov.uk

phil06
02-07-21, 10:10
I’ve had a pain in my leg yesterday and today I read the news about scare stories of people with pain with COVID could my leg pain me covid?

spectrum123
02-07-21, 10:36
I’ve had a pain in my leg yesterday and today I read the news about scare stories of people with pain with COVID could my leg pain me covid?

We all get aches and pains, without any other symptoms, very unlikely to be covid.

Lencoboy
02-07-21, 10:44
We all get aches and pains, without any other symptoms, very unlikely to be covid.

Exactly, Spectrum, bodily aches and pains have existed as long as humanity itself.

Squishchips
02-07-21, 19:11

Now let's see if I freak out over side-effects. Anxiety is so lame. 

Was just catching up with this thread - well done Nancy! I know that must have been tough.

My top tip for the second jab is drink lots of water the day before and on the day of the jab do some arm windmills (it really helps with the arm pain!)

At least you being in the US means you dont have long to wait for the second jab which is good :)

Carys
02-07-21, 21:15
I’ve had a pain in my leg yesterday and today I read the news about scare stories of people with pain with COVID could my leg pain me covid

No idea PHil, do an instant home test and find out if you have covid.

Fishmanpa
02-07-21, 23:05
No idea PHil, do an instant home test and find out if you have covid.

OR... get the vax :whistles:

FMP

NancyW
02-07-21, 23:08
Was just catching up with this thread - well done Nancy! I know that must have been tough.

My top tip for the second jab is drink lots of water the day before and on the day of the jab do some arm windmills (it really helps with the arm pain!)

At least you being in the US means you dont have long to wait for the second jab which is good :)

Thank you ! I keep hearing about the fluids, I sure will do that. I wonder why it helps.

I do feel we are fortunate here.
Choice of vaccine
Walk in no apt needed
3 weeks between 1 & 2

#2 will be July 19th.

pulisa
03-07-21, 07:49
I'm so glad that you took that step, Nancy. It was huge for you but hopefully you are now more comfortable with a date for number 2?

Your set up for jabs sounds very accessible which must help significantly with uptake.

NancyW
03-07-21, 12:24
I'm so glad that you took that step, Nancy. It was huge for you but hopefully you are now more comfortable with a date for number 2?

Your set up for jabs sounds very accessible which must help significantly with uptake.
We seem very divided..

Those that are vaccinated
Those considering it (formerly me)
Those that refuse

It's hanging us up at around 50%

I have concerns about the fall and winter and sliding back to restrictions and high numbers.

.Poppy.
03-07-21, 15:46
Nancy, I'm in KS and we have a 40% vaccinated rate. We have had vaccines available to 12+ for a good while now, so it's not an accessibility issue, it's a choice. We had counties sending vaccines back because no one would take them.

It's probably because I work in research administration, so I work alongside some awesome researchers who study vaccines like this. But I do get frustrated when people say they've "done their research" and don't want to get vaccinated, usually spouting lack of studies done for this vaccine, or things that are put in it. For one thing, 30 minutes of Googling is not research on par with what these scientists are doing. For another, most (nearly all) don't have the education required to truly understand how they work or the "ingredients" in the vaccine. That's not a dig, it's just a fact - unless someone has studied biology and chemistry extensively they're likely not going to get it.

They also totally disregard that they've been studying SARS vaccines for awhile - they knew something like this was coming based on past outbreaks. They likely didn't expect it to this scale, but then I work with a man who has a PhD in biochemistry and he has said that based on historical pandemics we were long overdue.

I am also very concerned. I'm mainly concerned for those who cannot get vaccinated or who are high risk. I don't personally have a lot of patience for deniers anymore - don't get vaccinated; I am, I'll be careful, and you can take your chances I suppose. I know there are people, like yourself, who had valid fears - and you are not the demographic I am frustrated with; I'm just tired of the "covid's not real", "covid is just a cold/flu", "covid is over" types or those who just like to stir up a fuss for attention.

NancyW
03-07-21, 18:33
Thank you for your reply Poppy. I am in Northeast Ohio, not far from you :-)

I may need to read your words everyday to block out the negativity .. I try but it's hard to do consistently, that little seed of doubt gets in my head and it's like lighter fluid on my anxiety.

AntsyVee
03-07-21, 18:57
I 100% agree with you Poppy. Apparently Biden is going to be sending teams into the "hotspots" where the vaccination rate is pretty low. But I don't know how they're going to convince people. I think the only way they could convince people is if Fox News told them all to get vaccinated.

pulisa
03-07-21, 20:01
Trump's been vaccinated (secretly). I do doubt whether he ever had Covid though. I reckon that hospitalisation charade could have been an attempt to belittle covid and to emphasise his "indestructibility".

Lencoboy
03-07-21, 20:03
Trump's been vaccinated (secretly). I do doubt whether he ever had Covid though. I reckon that hospitalisation charade could have been an attempt to belittle covid and to emphasise his "indestructibility".

Yeah, probably trying to sound 'ard!

PanickyGuy
04-07-21, 01:58

Oh it's more than just the Ozarks and Southwest Missouri, AntsyVee. The whole state of Arkansas is the worst right now. Even my parents, in their 70's are being stubborn about it. :wall:I'm glad I got my J&J vax about two months ago. I was like Nancy about it at first, I did a lot research on it, but in the end, I said "F" it! It's either the hammer or the nail, which one is gonna be worse? I said 'Covid' and that was it for me. Lol. My parents tried to talk me out of getting the vax.

I 100% agree with you Poppy. Apparently Biden is going to be sending teams into the "hotspots" where the vaccination rate is pretty low. But I don't know how they're going to convince people. I think the only way they could convince people is if Fox News told them all to get vaccinated.

I hope they have marksman that are good shots with dart guns or dart rifles, because that's what it's gonna take with these stubborn ass people where I live (Arkansas/Ozarks).:lac:

NancyW
06-07-21, 15:09
My husband is getting #2 tomorrow afternoon .. :huh:

AntsyVee
06-07-21, 18:23
I hope they have marksman that are good shots with dart guns or dart rifles, because that's what it's gonna take with these stubborn ass people where I live (Arkansas/Ozarks).:lac:

Well, good for you PG for getting it. Thank you.

Yeah, I think the only way that we will get states like yours vaccinated is truly if Fox News and some of the other conservative "news" outlets, like OAN, started telling them to... I really think that Biden should be trying to persuade them to do that.

spectrum123
06-07-21, 19:19

Yeah, I think the only way that we will get states like yours vaccinated is truly if Fox News and some of the other conservative "news" outlets, like OAN, started telling them to... I really think that Biden should be trying to persuade them to do that.

Now you've got out of the fly bitten sh1t hole that is Afghanistan, you could offer a 1000 rounds of 5.56 with a jab, or how about a heavy discount on a slightly used and a bit sandy M4 rifle (I think it due up for replacement in US forces)?

Pamplemousse
06-07-21, 19:25

The last person on Earth that those folks would listen to is Joe Biden...

pulisa
06-07-21, 19:44
Is Vee referring to Biden talking to the news outlets about attempting to approach the "hesitant"?

AntsyVee
06-07-21, 21:01
Is Vee referring to Biden talking to the news outlets about attempting to approach the "hesitant"?

Yes. I know they won't listen to Biden. Instead of Biden visiting the "hotspot" states, he should be working on trying to persuade Fox News and OAN to put out a media campaign urging vaccinations.

But no one listens to me...

AntsyVee
06-07-21, 21:04
Now you've got out of the fly bitten sh1t hole that is Afghanistan, you could offer a 1000 rounds of 5.56 with a jab, or how about a heavy discount on a slightly used and a bit sandy M4 rifle (I think it due up for replacement in US forces)?

Some of the more gun-loving states have offered guns as vaccine compensations already :/ I know Alabama did. Arizona and Washington gave away free marijuana for their vaccine incentives.

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-21, 22:52
Some of the more gun-loving states have offered guns as vaccine compensations already :/ I know Alabama did. Arizona and Washington gave away free marijuana for their vaccine incentives.

I didn't even get a badge :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-21, 22:57

Makes sense and worth a try.

We have areas of the capital at 29% second jab despite it being 60% or close in many areas. I wonder how badly Delta will hit these lagging areas.

Mine is lagging at 57%, my brothers is near 70%, and it's spiking here. The hospitals in vaccine hesitant areas must be bracing themselves.

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 00:47
I didn't even get a badge :weep:

LOL me either, Terry

PanickyGuy
07-07-21, 06:57

Well maybe we should thank my anxiety instead. :D It was hounding me like a relentless monkey on my back, all during the pandemic before the vaccines came out. 'Gotta get the vaccine! Gotta get the vaccine!! What's taking so long!! Arrr-aarrrrrgh!!!'

Yeah and don't forget NewsmaxTV, I'd wager that extreme right news show is the worse. It's like Fox on steroids.

pulisa
07-07-21, 07:46

I'd settle for a regular supply of diazepam:)

NoraB
07-07-21, 09:16
Some of the more gun-loving states have offered guns as vaccine compensations already :/ I know Alabama did.

I'm still asleep, right? :huh:

Arizona and Washington gave away free marijuana for their vaccine incentives.

I got shit all Vee. Not even a lolly! :lac:

Carys
07-07-21, 10:26
I got a sticker, both times. :yesyes:

NancyW
07-07-21, 16:49
My poor little thread got lost in the shuffle. 🥺

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 18:11
My poor little thread got lost in the shuffle. 梁

Sorry, but what should we be discussing now, Nancy? You were afraid of the Delta variant, and getting the vaccine, and now you and your husband have both gotten it. Problem solved for you. Now if you can just convince others to get vaccinated so we don't get any more mutations.

NancyW
07-07-21, 18:52
Sorry, but what should we be discussing now, Nancy? You were afraid of the Delta variant, and getting the vaccine, and now you and your husband have both gotten it. Problem solved for you. Now if you can just convince others to get vaccinated so we don't get any more mutations.

I posted earlier that my husband is going for #2 today, was hoping for some feedback.

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 18:54
I posted earlier that my husband is going for #2 today, was hoping for some feedback.

I think that's great! What are you concerned about?

NancyW
07-07-21, 18:56
I think that's great! What are you concerned about?

All the horror stories about the second vaccine.. my #2 will be the 19th, guess I'm not quite done being anxious about it.

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 19:06
All the horror stories about the second vaccine.. my #2 will be the 19th, guess I'm not quite done being anxious about it.

Well, they're just that...horror stories. You know from getting the first dose that the worry is greater than the side effects.

Carys
07-07-21, 19:38
What are the horror stories ? If we know what they are that is concerning you.......this is the Pfizer isn't it ?

NancyW
07-07-21, 20:03
What are the horror stories ? If we know what they are that is concerning you.......this is the Pfizer isn't it ?

My husband and I both are getting pfizer.
Just last night my friend's son asked me, when is your second shot? When I said the 19th, he looked at a calendar and said.. Monday huh? I don't want to scare you but I never felt so sick in my life after my second shot, you might want to reschedule for the weekend.

Thanks a lot pal 😟

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 20:25
My husband and I both are getting pfizer.
Just last night my friend's son asked me, when is your second shot? When I said the 19th, he looked at a calendar and said.. Monday huh? I don't want to scare you but I never felt so sick in my life after my second shot, you might want to reschedule for the weekend.

Thanks a lot pal 

Your best indicator of how you will respond to dose #2 is how you responded to dose#1. But even if you do feel sick after dose#2, so you take a couple days off work, rest in bed, you'll still be okay. You'll know why you got sick and that it'll pass in a few days. And since you know the date already, tell work you might be out those days, and you can go to the store before hand and buy liquids and tissues.

pulisa
07-07-21, 20:33
There was no drama for me with the 2nd Pfizer, Nancy. Another option?

Of course this young man didn't want to scare you...:winks: You've already had Covid. This vaccine just gives you even more antibodies for your future good health.

Carys
07-07-21, 20:41
Can I also say - you aren't actually 'sick' anyway. Its an immune response, you don't actually have an illness. Its your body responding to the vaccine in order to create protection, that puts a much more positive spin on it and makes it worthwhile even if you are a tad 'unwell'.

NancyW
07-07-21, 21:00
2 things that are stirring my anxiety..

1 my husband's appointment today.
2 I hate waiting it creates a whirlwind of overthinking and anticipation anxiety.

I do appreciate your responses, I may need to reread them as the days get closer to the 19th.

Thank you

mez
07-07-21, 21:17

2 I hate waiting it creates a whirlwind of overthinking and anticipation anxiety.

I do appreciate your responses, I may need to reread them as the days get closer to the 19th.

Thank you

The word on the street is, the first pfizer is the worst if you've had covid as opposed to the second. So you've already had the hardest one :)
My husband has his second tomorrow too. Alas I'm still plucking up the courage to have one at all...
They are vaccinating in my local surgery at the weekend 200m away as opposed to an hours drive each way..) but I'm off on holiday a couple of days later and don't want to risk it :/ hopefully when I get back.

AntsyVee
07-07-21, 21:42
The word on the street is, the first pfizer is the worst if you've had covid as opposed to the second. So you've already had the hardest one :)
My husband has his second tomorrow too. Alas I'm still plucking up the courage to have one at all...
They are vaccinating in my local surgery at the weekend 200m away as opposed to an hours drive each way..) but I'm off on holiday a couple of days later and don't want to risk it :/ hopefully when I get back.

Honestly, I'd be more afraid of going for a vacation holiday and catching covid while traveling. Please wear a mask and be careful.

NancyW
07-07-21, 21:46
That would be great Mez, but I heard the opposite too, sigh. 😕

Hoping your husband does well, I'll keep you posted on mine.

I am still very glad I got the first one, also still shocked I did not feel the needle.

I wish I could just walk in and get it over with instead of the dreaded wait.

mez
07-07-21, 22:13
Honestly, I'd be more afraid of going for a vacation holiday and catching covid while traveling. Please wear a mask and be careful.

I will be. I'm a bit apprehensive but I had covid a few months ago and took part in an antibody study a few weeks ago that shows I did develop antibodies to it. It seems these should last 'at least 8 months', so I'm hoping this'll keep me at least partly protected for a couple more months. We're going camping, so at least we'll be in the fresh air.

Squishchips
08-07-21, 07:15

Thank you

I hope his appointment went well Nancy

I completely understand the waiting - I overthink everything and the buildup is always worse than the actual event!

With the second jab, I also got quite nervous so read up on other peoples experiences and made sure I was well hydrated and moved my arm the day of the jab. I made my husband do the same

Barely got any side effects, arm hurt for about half a day (!) and felt mildly hungover for about 3/4 hours in the morning after and that was it - same with my husband

Chances are your experience will be very mild like most. And even if not, will probably only be a day of feeling a little unwell and then back to normal - have some paracetamol on hand just in case and you'll be fine!

Hopefully not much longer to wait and soon it'll be over :)

NancyW
08-07-21, 12:09
Thank you Squishchips ox

My husband so far is ok just sore arm, but it's early.. just 13 hours since his shot.

The waiting is what gets to me, I absolutely hate it.

.Poppy.
08-07-21, 14:31
Honestly, I felt pretty bad after my second shot, but I always do after my flu shots so I was expecting it. I felt terrible in the middle of the night afterward, so less than 8 hours after. If your husband is fine 13 hours later I'd say he'll be just fine, maybe a bit tired, but nothing too bad.

AntsyVee
08-07-21, 17:54
Well, just remember, it can't be worse than Covid...and you two already survived that!

NancyW
08-07-21, 18:01
Your best indicator of how you will respond to dose #2 is how you responded to dose#1. But even if you do feel sick after dose#2, so you take a couple days off work, rest in bed, you'll still be okay. You'll know why you got sick and that it'll pass in a few days. And since you know the date already, tell work you might be out those days, and you can go to the store before hand and buy liquids and tissues.

Well, no, not really. I know many personally who had no side affects with #1 and were ill with #2.

It's not even really about feeling bad at this point, I have had my share of that through my life, it's the anticipation anxiety .. whether it's a covid shot, a dr apt, worst of all waiting for medical test results for myself or any of my loved ones, it's all anticipation anxiety. I'd really like to know what triggered me to be like this. Pretty annoying.

pulisa
08-07-21, 18:08
I think we all have anticipatory anxiety with things like this, Nancy. It's the worst bit.

NancyW
08-07-21, 18:39
I think we all have anticipatory anxiety with things like this, Nancy. It's the worst bit.

I sure wish we had like/love tabs on here lol.

Thank you Pulisa ox

Carys
08-07-21, 19:05
Yeah, even medics have said they have anxiety in anticipation - its kinda not natural feeling is it, to put something in your arm that might make you feel not good, when you feel fine. LOL

NancyW
09-07-21, 01:20
My husband is at 27 hours after #2 and no side affects. 😊

Scass
09-07-21, 02:35
Great news Nancy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
09-07-21, 16:54
Ditto.

elizabethalice
11-07-21, 08:15
My husband is at 27 hours after #2 and no side affects. 😊

Yay! Glad he feels fine :) my parents and gran both had pfizer and none of them had any side effects for both doses :)

Well done to both of your for getting it!

NancyW
12-07-21, 02:01
Thank you elizabethalice :-)

#2 for me is July 19th. 1 week from tomorrow.

Tick tock...tick tock...tick tock

How I hate waiting.

elizabethalice
12-07-21, 09:48
Thank you elizabethalice :-)

#2 for me is July 19th. 1 week from tomorrow.

Tick tock...tick tock...tick tock

How I hate waiting.

You'll be fine Nancy! And we are all on here if you feel anxious before or after.

I'm still waiting for my 2nd! It was definitely a good system when the vaccines first got released because it helped us a lot with the colossal second wave, but it's a but frustrating waiting now especially when vaccine uptake seems to have slowed!

NancyW
12-07-21, 11:57
elizabethalice how much longer do you have to wait?

elizabethalice
12-07-21, 13:39
elizabethalice how much longer do you have to wait?

Just over a month now! It'll get there, but a bit worrying when they are releasing all restrictions next week!

NancyW
12-07-21, 15:05
Just over a month now! It'll get there, but a bit worrying when they are releasing all restrictions next week!

Our restrictions were lifted a couple of months ago, remember you are still in control of where you go and if you feel more comfortable with a mask. I felt worried about it when ours were lifted but it seems to be ok for now. Not sure what the fall and winter will bring, if the virus numbers are bad I'll revert back to staying home more and shopping less frequently.

elizabethalice
12-07-21, 22:52
Our restrictions were lifted a couple of months ago, remember you are still in control of where you go and if you feel more comfortable with a mask. I felt worried about it when ours were lifted but it seems to be ok for now. Not sure what the fall and winter will bring, if the virus numbers are bad I'll revert back to staying home more and shopping less frequently.

That's good to hear! Yes I will definitely still be wearing my mask and distancing from people in shops etc, I'll probably do a few more social things as I have missed them, but will keep tabs on it. Honestly, after the euros last night there will probably be a huge increase here either way!

fishman65
18-07-21, 18:31
This guy is good, he provides clinical reports to virologist Vincent Racaniello. Around the 5 minute mark states that 99% of their patients admitted with covid are unvaccinated. The report was made yesterday the 17th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_ptkq8JoI

Lencoboy
18-07-21, 22:10
This guy is good, he provides clinical reports to virologist Vincent Racaniello. Around the 5 minute mark states that 99% of their patients admitted with covid are unvaccinated. The report was made yesterday the 17th.

Yes, very reassuring.

Thanks for posting that link.

pulisa
19-07-21, 07:42
Hoping that you manage to get your 2nd jab today, Nancy and wishing you all the very best..If you want the vaccine you will get it done and I hope things go as smoothly and quickly as possible for you with minimal waiting time:hugs:

NancyW
19-07-21, 11:38
Hoping that you manage to get your 2nd jab today, Nancy and wishing you all the very best..If you want the vaccine you will get it done and I hope things go as smoothly and quickly as possible for you with minimal waiting time:hugs:

Thank you Pulisa ox
It's 635 am and I will be at the pharmacy at 1030 am. Hoping all will go ok over the next couple of days.

I have to say, the reports of breakthrough covid cases are disheartening 😔

Squishchips
19-07-21, 13:33
Thank you Pulisa ox
It's 635 am and I will be at the pharmacy at 1030 am. Hoping all will go ok over the next couple of days.

I have to say, the reports of breakthrough covid cases are disheartening 😔

Good luck Nancy - nearly all done! :)
Hopefully all fine on the side effects today - lots of water and move your arm about and you should be fine :yesyes:

pulisa
19-07-21, 13:55
Nearly there now, Nancy...The waiting is always the worst bit as you know so well...

glassgirlw
19-07-21, 15:00
You’ll do great, Nancy. I was a little anxious waiting for my second as well, not knowing what side effects I’d have after. Everyone is different of course but my side effects with dose 2 of Pfizer didn’t really start till about 36 hrs post vax. Low grade temp and slight chills for about 12 hours, then was back to normal. My parents all had Pfizer and their experiences were similar. It will be fine! Just remind yourself it’s a sign your body is developing the needed immune response to the vax. And even if you don’t get side effects, that’s ok too! You’ll be well protected. The breakthrough cases are extremely few and far between.

pulisa
19-07-21, 15:46
If all went to plan you should be on your way home very soon...Please keep us posted?

MyNameIsTerry
19-07-21, 17:18

By unvaccinated does that mean everyone who hasn't had both jabs?

MyNameIsTerry
19-07-21, 17:20
You've got this, Nancy. You can do it!

NancyW
19-07-21, 17:37
Post #2, 2 hours. I stopped to visit an elderly friend.

I'm ok but nervous

pulisa
19-07-21, 17:43
Very well done!!! Good idea to distract yourself...Don't keep monitoring yourself now? You've done so well today!:hugs:

Catkins
19-07-21, 18:15
Well done Nancy!!!

Lencoboy
19-07-21, 19:11
Well done Nancy!!!

Ditto from me.

Remember the breakthrough cases are only in a small minority so far, and in most instances, only mild.

NancyW
19-07-21, 19:30
Thank you all for the support, wish I coukd fast forward a few days so I could have some peace of mind.

4 hours in, my arm hurts. (Not a big deal just posting for reporting and comparison to others)

pulisa
19-07-21, 19:36
I just kept moving my arm regardless of the discomfort. It lasted for about a day but I was expecting some "proof" that the needle had hit the right spot.

fishman65
19-07-21, 20:06
By unvaccinated does that mean everyone who hasn't had both jabs?That's an excellent point Terry. If the 1% includes those having only had one dose, that would make the double jabbed percentage even smaller.

elizabethalice
19-07-21, 20:06
Well done Nancy! This is an incredible step you've taken to protect yourself and others and you should be very proud of yourself for overcoming your anxieties:)

Try not to worry about breakthrough cases. They are very mild if they do occur - and as you've already had it as well, you've got super antibodies now!

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-21, 07:25
That's an excellent point Terry. If the 1% includes those having only had one dose, that would make the double jabbed percentage even smaller.

An excellent point by you actually, fishman. I was get mixed up with phil's 47% thinking they are hospitalised when in actual fact they were only infected.

So, even if that guy didn't count single jabbed people it would put fully vaccinated people at 1% hospitalisation. If we did count them too, as you thought I was saying, it's even lower.

I know our hospitalisations are running around the 2-3% of infections mark last time I worked it out. If you looked at the graph for this you would see our hospital took a far more massive hammering late last year. Despite Delta, and reaching our peak hopefully, our hospital has admitted very few people and doesn't really standout from lockdown periods.

pulisa
20-07-21, 08:05
Hope you had a decent night's sleep, Nancy..

NancyW
20-07-21, 11:28
It's 630 am, I'm feeling a bit rough. Groggy, stomach not great, no fever. Sipping coffee to see if I can shake it a bit. Anxiety is high, worrying this is going to get worse or not go away.

20 hours post vaccine.

Squishchips
20-07-21, 11:59
It's 630 am, I'm feeling a bit rough. Groggy, stomach not great, no fever. Sipping coffee to see if I can shake it a bit. Anxiety is high, worrying this is going to get worse or not go away.

20 hours post vaccine.

I felt like this when I woke up after my 2nd as well - almost like I was hungover. Lasted about 3 hours and then felt completely fine. :)

NancyW
20-07-21, 12:04
Squishchips thank you for responding so quickly. I sure hope this is short lived. Its put me right on the couch sitting here like a zombie. I'm working from home today I hope I can manage that.

pulisa
20-07-21, 13:59
It may be better for you to try to concentrate on your work rather than monitoring yourself?

NancyW
20-07-21, 14:04
It may be better for you to try to concentrate on your work rather than monitoring yourself?

Always.

I had some coffee and a little breakfast, took an advil. I felt sort of better for a bit and now feel like I could sleep. So tired. Head feels spacey.

pulisa
20-07-21, 14:14
Bear in mind the role that anxiety will play in how you feel as well though. You will feel tired from all the build up of pre-jab adrenaline. Try to normalise your anxiety symptoms?

AntsyVee
20-07-21, 17:42
Glad you got it, Nancy. I agree with P, above.

Lencoboy
27-08-21, 08:49
Whilst Delta has so far proved to be the most contagious Covid variant of all, there's still no empirical evidence of it being any more deadly than the other previously dominant variants.

Surely if it was proved to be more deadly, restrictions would have no doubt been re-imposed by now, or at least discussed by the govt.

Catkins
27-08-21, 15:17
Did I read on here or somewhere else that what usually happens with viruses is that as they mutate to try and become easier to transmit they become weaker? I don't know if this is true or not.

Pamplemousse
27-08-21, 15:49
Did I read on here or somewhere else that what usually happens with viruses is that as they mutate to try and become easier to transmit they become weaker? I don't know if this is true or not.

Untrue, I'm afraid.

A good read here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/will-coronavirus-evolve-be-less-deadly-180976288/

Catkins
27-08-21, 16:47
Untrue, I'm afraid.

A good read here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/will-coronavirus-evolve-be-less-deadly-180976288/

Thanks I'll have a read later.

Lencoboy
27-08-21, 17:03
Untrue, I'm afraid.

An interesting read, PM.

One slight caveat, the article was published last November when the Alpha variant was only just starting to take over and (apart from in India) also predates the Delta variant.

Pamplemousse
28-08-21, 14:29
Assuming Lencoboy doesn't pick idiotic and irrelevant holes in this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58354342

Current enough for you? :mad:

Lencoboy
28-08-21, 16:32
Assuming Lencoboy doesn't pick idiotic and irrelevant holes in this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58354342

Current enough for you? :mad:

Yes, especially as it's only been published today.

Still doesn't tell us as to whether or not more people are actually dying of the Delta variant though.

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-21, 07:18

Yes, Gary, PM, AntysVee, fishman, Poppy and pulisa debated it:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?237887-Covid-19-discussion-thread/page518

Some do, some don't. In PM's link one part says Covid may follow the path of influenza. They just don't know.