PDA

View Full Version : Intense fear of 2nd Astra Zeneca vaccination my anxiety is spiralling out of control

sammiej123
24-06-21, 12:47
HI all. I had my first vaccination at the end of February, this took all the strength i had to go through with, the thought of something being injected in to my body fills me with intense horror! I went through with it finally after crying and being really stressed. Now I am due the 2nd one which i have been putting off for ages, i have reluctantly booked it for tomorrow :( Can anyone offer me some reassurance please i am desperate..
I am worried about, anaphalaxis, my immune system doing something drastic, being really sick ( i live on my own), blood clots (history of them) and any other awful thing that might happen.. Please help!

Green_tea
24-06-21, 13:01
You will be ok, it will be really difficult but you did the first shot so you can do this second one. As I’m sure you know the risks of the things you are worried about are far higher from getting covid than the vaccine. Once you have had that second dose you’ve actually lowered your chance of getting blood clots or any of the other things you are worried about.

In regards to the anaphylaxis, this is extremely rare and the centres are set up with that 15 minute wait and all the medical equipment necessary to deal with it. So while it almost certainly won’t happen it’s not something to worry about because you are in a place that’s well prepared. You also didn’t react to the first shot so I see no reason why this one would be any different.

You might feel rough for up to a week so I’d suggest getting some easy to prepare meals in the freezer just in case you don’t feel good. You aren’t going to feel so bad that you will be in bed for days but take care of yourself and make things as easy as possible.

You will do fine, you’ve already done one of the hardest bits by booking the appointment.

Carys
24-06-21, 13:09
Firstly anaphylaxis, it would have happened on your first vaccine, and anyway, even if it did happen - they have the equipment to deal with it immediately at the vaccination centre. Nurses and highly trained individuals onhand to deal with anybody who had a rare allergic reaction, so it wouldnt be life threatening. I had an anaphylaxis fear before mine and have your same fears, so asked the nurse what they do if it happens - 'we act and treat it immediately, everything is here to do that' and she added ' but its never happened to me in all my years of nursing'. The likelihood of being sick AT ALL after the second vaccine is very low. Most people if they get immunological reactions that make them feel ill with the AZ have them on the first vaccine. If there is a headache/chill type response, I betcha itll be reduced to last time (if you had any then).

Blood clots - I presume you have discussed this with your doctor and they have said it is ok for you to go ahead ? This is, I noticed, a question they now ask and discuss with you before the injection, so you will have the opportunity then to speak with a medical professional. I don't know anything about the blood clots you are referring to and the difference between those and this rare condition, there may be some considered increased risk, or none at all - sorry I can't answer that as not a medic. However, I will say - the level of awareness of the clotting condition is VERY high now and the treatments well known. It is also hugely vastly unlikely on the first vaccine, but even more rare on the second.

alcopop
24-06-21, 13:14
If it helps, I have my second AstraZeneca jab tomorrow too! I'm not nervous at all, and USUALLY I am nervous about EVERYTHING health-wise. I felt a bit fluey after my first jab, hoping I don't get the shivers again. But I really don't think you need to worry. Voice your concerns to the nurses at the vaccination centre before the jab if it makes you feel better, I'm sure they will be very reassuring and helpful. Good luck!

sammiej123
24-06-21, 13:15
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply i appreciate it so much.. I cant tell you how ill i am feeling with worry about it but your reassuring words are very helpful.. I was thinking that anaphylaxis would have happened the first time as it is the ingredients isnt it but I am still worried. and the other things i have mentioned.. The joys of anxiety it is really ruining my quality of life. thanks again i really appreciate any responses and am very grateful

Mrsriley79
24-06-21, 13:48
You can do this !! It’s all ok ♥️♥️

Carys
24-06-21, 15:03
Just to also say, all my family are now double vaccinated (7 with AZ and one with Pfizer), those who had an immunological response after the first AZ, didn't after the second AZ. Tell a lie, one person who had a very strong response to the first AZ had a much lesser response the second time.

sammiej123
24-06-21, 15:04
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me :) x

Carys
24-06-21, 15:07
Oh I forgot, the only thing that was the same - my arm hurt for flippin ages after both.

sammiej123
25-06-21, 11:01
So...lovely people.. I had my 2nd vaccination this morning, I was so so anxious that i felt physically ill! They were really nice, i had a doctor that did it for me. Although I feel i have escaped the fear around the jab and anaphalaxis I am now checking to see if something is going to happen to me :( I am really proud of myself but still have that anxiety around side effects and what might happen next. I have nothing but admiration for you guys, health anxiety is a beast you are all strong, amazing people to be managing it on a daily basis x

Catkins
25-06-21, 11:43
Congratulations!

sammiej123
25-06-21, 12:16
Thank you.. thats the first part done, now I am anxious about side effects you know what HA is like x

Carys
25-06-21, 12:46
You should be very proud Sammie, congratulations. :)

sammiej123
25-06-21, 12:50
Thank you Carys I am .. but wish i could stop waiting for something bad to happen to me now.. the last two weeks leading up to this has nearly sent me over the edge.. I am feeling really exhausted, i havent slept or been eating properly x

Carys
25-06-21, 13:10
Well, really, day by day you will feel better and less concerned......this will be the dim and distant past soon.

pulisa
25-06-21, 13:19
I agree with Carys..Easy for us to say when you are the one facing the anxiety but if you just keep yourself busy and try to avoid monitoring yourself constantly then it will be easier. Concentrate on the benefits of a 2nd jab, not on the potential side effects? You could waste a hell of a lot of time worrying about something which may never happen..instead of celebrating the fact that you've overcome your jab fear and have added to your protection against a very nasty virus.

sammiej123
25-06-21, 14:29
Thank you so much lovely people.. Sending you positive thoughts and wishing you all the very best. i am exhausted at the moment, the lead up to today has been horrendous my body is worn out.. I have been physically ill with worry this week. I think you are right, i must not forget why i have had the vaccine to stop myself from getting seriously ill or worse or spreading it to others. x

pulisa
25-06-21, 14:46
If you feel a bit grotty there will be a reason. A good reason. More likely thing is you'll be fine.
The main thing is that each day your antibodies will increase.

nomorepanic
25-06-21, 16:41
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

nomorepanic
25-06-21, 16:41
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239