PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to Health Screen Clinic

Brandy snap
12-11-07, 02:49
I wonder if anyone else has received one of these? I have been sent a leaflet offering me an opportunity to be screened using ultrasound at a local hospital for Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke in order to 'make lifestyle changes and to notify my GP of any treatment necessary long before symptoms become apparent, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE'.

I was all set to make an appointment immediately when I noticed it said 'routine screening is not available on the NHS' and asked me to turn over the page for costs. My heart sank - it said heart and stroke screening combined was £145, abdominal aortic aneurysm test was £95, or all three tests was a special price of £169.

When I first read it, I thought it was free, rather like the 'Mole Clinic' which was held a few years ago at my local garden centre which put my mind at rest about a mole (a mole on my back, not a garden mole!).

We are struggling financially at present so it looks as though these tests which would put my mind at rest are now not possible.

On page 2 it shows a picture of furred up carotid arteries, furred up coronary arteries and an abdominal aortic aneurysm on the point of bursting. I was not even thinking about my arteries when I opened the letter, now it is all I have been able to think about all weekend. Surely if it is possible to get pictures of the exact state of your arteries it ought to be available to everyone as it would save thousands of lives? Worried sick now wondering about my arteries. I have seen advertisements for private screening at London Clinics which always seemed a luxury which only a select few could afford and journey would cause stress and I didn't think much about them, but to know this peace of mind is available locally (i.e. very close to me therefore far less stress than long journey) and it can spot problems BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE yet I can't go is like putting a large glass of water just out of reach of a dehydrated person tied to a chair.

Sorry needed a rant!! Any thoughts welcome.

Brandy Snap

neptuno
12-11-07, 15:56
Hello !

Does your GP understand you need this peace of mind ? If he/she does then ask about this screening and what benifit it may be to you. If you both agree the need for screening then it can be arranaged on the NHS at your local hospital
Be kind to yourself