PDA

View Full Version : Just had my GP appt

Mrsriley79
25-06-21, 14:00
Hi everyone,

So I saw my very kind and understanding GP this morning, I really am so grateful that I get to seem him with all my issues and HA, that I’ve had over the last 10 years, he knows me so well and has learned over the years how to deal with me!

He started by taking my blood pressure which was slightly high, so he took it again and it was higher, so he said he won’t bother with that anymore, he sat and listened to me, tried to reassure me, but also agreed to run full bloods and tests to find a cause of my concerns or if all bloods are fine then he will help me work on my anxiety. He said he isn’t just going to tell me it’s anxiety and send me on my way, so I was so very grateful. He really was so kind.

sadly I’m a little bit concerned about my blood pressure…. Anyone else blood pressure sly rocket when it’s checked? Or have it raise due to stress, as I’m a little concerned that could it be raised all the time?!

Sarah x

Catkins
25-06-21, 14:56
White coat syndrome is a common phenomenon. There are an awful lot of people whose blood pressure goes up when they see a medical professional. My mum used to have it terribly but whenever she took it herself at home she got much better readings.

ccake79
25-06-21, 17:24
Mine always does ever since I got pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy. For me it's the stressful memory of having my BP checked over and over. If it's taken more than once, my second reading is always worse.

flatterycat
25-06-21, 19:12
Hello Sarah (from another Sarah!)

Lovely that your GP is so understanding, it makes such a difference doesn’t it. Since my HA began to get out of hand, my GP has started calling me to check how I’m coping. She tends to ring every 3 weeks, unless I’m feeling particularly anxious. If I tell her something that she needs to see or check, she invites me in. I recently had a few blood test done and it did help hearing they were normal, although my HA brain can see hundreds of different scenarios all of which end with the worst possible thing!

x

Mrsriley79
25-06-21, 19:38
Hello Sarah (from another Sarah!)

Lovely that your GP is so understanding, it makes such a difference doesn’t it. Since my HA began to get out of hand, my GP has started calling me to check how I’m coping. She tends to ring every 3 weeks, unless I’m feeling particularly anxious. If I tell her something that she needs to see or check, she invites me in. I recently had a few blood test done and it did help hearing they were normal, although my HA brain can see hundreds of different scenarios all of which end with the worst possible thing!

x

Hey Sarah!!
Yes, I really appreciate my Gp so much, this is the second time I’ve seen him in this 6 month episode (it’s the biggest I’ve had but I thought I could do it myself, clearly not!), but it will be a few more times I can imagine after this, because although hes reasonably confident it’s wear and tear of HA, he also says there can also be underlying causes that he can’t be negligent about, and I know that, thanks to my HA I could probably be a doctor if it wasn’t for my catastrophic thinking.
I try to think rationally, that all the scenarios I’ve concocted over the last 15 year of HA, how many have come true, Actually only one, so I really do have to think I am really irrational, but then the troublemaker ‘what if’ comes knocking on my brain!!

im really pleased your GP is supportive too, makes all the difference and also keeps frustration at bay, I find if I feel I’ve been listened to, I settle down much quicker.

Sarah x

Mrsriley79
25-06-21, 19:40
Mine always does ever since I got pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy. For me it's the stressful memory of having my BP checked over and over. If it's taken more than once, my second reading is always worse.
Ccake79

I think your absolutely right, it only takes a traumatic time and our brain won’t let us forget it!!

Sarah x

Mrsriley79
25-06-21, 19:41
White coat syndrome is a common phenomenon. There are an awful lot of people whose blood pressure goes up when they see a medical professional. My mum used to have it terribly but whenever she took it herself at home she got much better readings.

catkins

yes absolutely, but then how do I know if it’s white coat or actually HP, and then with HA I make myself worse, thinking the worse! My mum also get white coat syndrome too x

Sarah x

Catkins
25-06-21, 20:59
I think it's a matter of understanding and coming to terms with the fact it's happening. If your GP is concerned they will act on it and further do tests.