PDA

View Full Version : The Fear of Re-Occuring Attacks

Gryphoenix
12-11-07, 04:04
The fear of an attack after an attack, a sort of theoredical unstoppable panic attack that once you calmed down there was enough adrenaline in one to restart another attack: This is probably my biggest fear of late, even though I have beaten back a few of the fears I formerly had.

I had a bit of a short panic a few days ago and managed to make it through it alright, and I was fine, but I had the lingering thought with me for a few hours afterwards, since I remained tense and sort of on an adrenaline rush.

What if it happens again? I feel like it could happen again. I can't take it if it does, I'm already high strung and tired from the last one. Oh no, here comes another rush of adrenaline!

Face your fears: So what if it happens again? What WILL happen?

Nothing.

I've also been fearing not exactly the panic itself, but the sensations. The whole heart shebang and all that lovely exciting stuff. I know that panic will reach a peak and subside, it only lasts a few minutes anyway. But I hate the feeling of what it feels like. So I try to liken it to a cold. I hate the feeling of being on a cold, it's terrible and I feel like crap. Guess what I feel like when I have panics? Crap and terrible. Except when I have a cold I know that it's going to go away and not to worry about it.

So we should feel the same way about panics: simply a cold that will go away eventually. At least it only lasts for a few minutes--wish a cold would last only a few minutes!

(Writing this is a little therapudic for me, I've been having a bad go of it lately. :D Telling myself through this what to do, you know.)

youaremysunshine
12-11-07, 23:43
I hate those re-occuring attacks. So far rescue remedy has proven itself to calm myself down AFTER the panic attack, enough to make me relax a little more so I don't have another one so close to the last.

I guess it's just the case of getting rid of all that adrelanin, which is why we tend to shiver/shake. (This is what I read most recently) I've found walking round, anywhere, for just 5 minutes has helped. But of course, panic loves to pop up at the most awkward of times where we cannot walk freely around. Typical.

Gryphoenix
13-11-07, 00:59
Yeah I was thinking about getting some Rescue Remedy, looks promising, I gotta order it online cause they don't sell it here.

I agree, about the adrenaline too, I get the shakes when I get a big one. I sometimes even get shakes after watching a particuarly thrilling movie. Walking helps me so much, it really works wonders. But yeah, panic ends up popping up at lovely times where I just can't get out and walk...like in the car, or class, or some other fun thing. Or like in a movie, you're sitting down and the adrenaline's still circulating.

I heard that adrenaline metabolizes in 3-5 minutes, so that's good.

Bill
13-11-07, 03:41
Phoenix,

You're worrying about not just having an attack but suffering an attack after attack! Woah.....Slow down and go back to remembering the basic rule that you Know that you've put into practise- Attacks happen Because we worry about them happening whether it's just one or many.

I had the lingering thought with me for a few hours afterwards, since I remained tense and sort of on an adrenaline rush. Don't you think the "thought" maintained the tension and adrenaline rush because the "thought" was preparing you to run from a fear that you were worrying about???:winks:

So what's the answer phoenix?....Yep.....relax and chill out! You Know what to do phoenix!:winks: :D

youaremysunshine
13-11-07, 12:43
Maybe concentrating on tapping your fingers may help. You'll be doing movement, and tapping your fingers. I tried it when I decided to stand outside my classroom for a bit. I concentrated on making my thumb tap my forefinger, middle finger, ring finger, pinky finger, repeat.

Getting it right and as fast as you can is the key. I don't know how effective it really is, but it may help if it'll get you distracted.

And in the car I guess you could put on your music really loud and sing along to every single word, even if you don't know it.

It's easier said than done being distracted and relaxed, but I guess with practice it'll work (I'm still waiting for it to work)

x

Gryphoenix
15-11-07, 00:54
Distraction always works pretty good for me, that's not a bad idea. Singing loud (I have a terrible voice so it always gets hilarious reactions) also helps.

Thanks Bill, you always seem to know the right thing to say to shake me out of irrational thoughts! I managed to go to the dentist without any incident or even being scared a couple days ago. :D I've been thinking that when I do get anxious it's a good thing so that I can learn to not fear the feeling of anxiety and whatever activity I am doing. Riding in the car I sometimes get anxious cause of the velocity and I'm trying to train myself to not worry or be bothered about that feeling. On normal days I like going fast!

I'm trying not to get setbacks but I do have my hiccups here and there.

I have a meeting with my advisor tomorrow (for school), and we'll see how that goes. :D I think I'll be fine.

Bill
15-11-07, 02:30
Hi phoenix,

You're learning all the time.....even when you forget what you've learnt!:D

It's not I "think" I'll be fine.....it's I "Will" be fine! because you Will be just as you were at the dentists because as you remember, you don't go out with doubts thinking "what if" because if you do then it Does go wrong!

Just remember what you've learnt like at the convention, put it into practise and you Will be absolutely fine phoenix!:hugs: