PDA

View Full Version : Worries escalated in short amount of time

Tungatankar
03-07-21, 10:35
Hello everyone. I am new around here and have just introduced myself in the appropriate sub forum. Like I said there, I suffer from anxiety (mostly health related, but not linked to current symptoms - rather related to things that could hurt me or the ones I love) and probably OCD ad well. I've learned to manage the "flare ups" and can usually relax quickly after a scare. However, I deal VERY badly with unexpected events if I have any reason to believe they might affect my health.

I moved into a new apartment like 2 weeks ago. Things were fine, until I found strange silver stains in the carrier I used to take my new kitten home. I got some al over my hands when cleaning the carrier after the kitten released his bladder inside of it. The carrier is old, my logical brain knew it was probably just older paint peeling off the plastic, yet my anxiety brain thought *mercury*, *lead*, *random toxic paint *. The fear went over after a day thankfully. Then, as I was cleaning the bathtub, a metal part just crumbled under my wet sponge, and my brain went *lead*, which led to another 24h freakout.

I was mostly reassured going into the next day - yesterday - when a technician was set to come to my apartment to link the optical fiber from the building to my flat. Things were supposed to be simple : he was to use existing passages to get the cable from point A to B. Except it didn't work out that way : the tech had to drill holes through the wall between my apartment and the common corridor, and through the wall between my hallway and the living room.

My building was built in the 70s, though. It dawned on me after cleaning up : what if the walls had had asbestos in the cement and/or the concrete? The concrete blocks were literally pulverized and spewed fine dust all over the corridor and part of my hallway (neither has windows), while the cement was easily broken through with a hammer and a screwdriver and left larger pieces of debris and some dust in my hallway and the entrance to my living room. However, now I am terrified that there is asbestos all over my one room apartment, my hallway and in the corridor. I did the cleaning with wet paper towels thankfully, because I didn't want to put dust all over my broom, but that doesn't mean I'm freaking out any less. I've been all over Google and everyone is like "Asbestos is fine unless you drill through it or disturb it with power tools". Which is not helping, especially in combination with "one fiber may kill you" (which I understand is silly because we're all already breathing some fibers just by walking down the street), and the fact that so many fibers can exist in tiny amounts of asbestos-containing materials and their capacity to stick on surfaces and release in the air when disturbed.

The previous fears I've had in the past days were disturbing but objectively silly, though mostly I feel they've paved an uncomfortable way to this more realistic fear, because I am tired, haven't been eating well and my brain has been on overdrive for days now. I think I could use some advice about my asbestos situation as well as ways to cope with my anxiety right now. Deep breathing feels like a terrible idea when scared to breathe in asbestos fibers :doh:. My current state of mind is also sending the OCD in overdrive, which is a pain to deal with.

Feel free to move my post to another section if this is located in the wrong part of the forum.

Tungatankar
03-07-21, 23:31
I am double posting in my own thread, because I realize this whole worry situation is taking the OCD route. I'm still scared that there might be asbestos on surfaces in my apartment, but now I've also started obsessing about other aspects of the issue. First, the fact that the owner of my flat wasn't aware that drilling a common area concrete wall(loadbearing, I presume) was going to be involved. Neither was I, by the way. The tech took me unawares and I just didn't think to say no because he acted like it was normal, routine and like I didn't need extra permission, which I didn't realize I absolutely did. Which means it was perfectly illegal to have him drill without the consent of the building assembly :ohmy:

And then I started to wonder : what if drilling all the way through that concrete wall has weakened the whole structure of the building (or at least that wall) by sending cracks radiating from it?? I'm scared out of my mind of causing the building to come down, now. Like sure, other holes must have been drilled in it before, right? But what if my tech drilled in the wrong place or way?

Very OCD-like reasoning, with nothing to check to make me feel better, except the internet which reminds me how wrong it was to let him do it in the first place because it's not allowed. Haven't found answers about whether it's safe but I'm scared to look further. The owner of the flat should be coming tomorrow or next week to fix another problem. I've told him about what happened (he knew about the installation, but obviously wasn't aware they would be drilling since I wasn't either), I don't know if I should mention it again. As for the technician, he'll be coming back as well to redo his sticking work on my wall, because the cable fell right off a couple hours after he left (I hope he is better at drilling holes than at using his his glue pistol).

Scass
04-07-21, 03:46
Hello & welcome.
You wrote alot and it all makes “sense” to me, but excuse my shortish reply.
These kind of anxieties tend to flare up due to underlying stress that’s then somehow allowing you to take all your throwaway negative thoughts and decide that they are suddenly worth ruminating on.
I’m a bit like this too.
All I can say really is to address the stress. You’ve just moved and that’s very stressful.
Also, the workman drills a lot, his job is literally to run cable. He’d know if your walls were off.

Go cuddle the kitten and start coming up with a plan to tackle the anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccake79
04-07-21, 08:42
I can totally understand your anxieties. Asbestos is a massive one of mine at the moment (we have vermiculite in our loft, which has been tested and is negative (stopped me worrying 2 years ago but recently an issue again because of some severe underlying stress) and an old asbestos cement garage roof, which I'm insisting on having removed, even though it's low risk as it contains blue asbestos). I try to reassure myself that the nasty effects of the stuff happen with years of exposure - something I know to be true as I've treated mesothelioma patients and all of them had long term heavy exposure. I have to keep repeating this to myself but it is slowly helping.

Definitely let your kitten help. Cats are so good for stress!