PDA

View Full Version : Stressed I may have caused pancreatic cancer

LG18
04-07-21, 14:15
Hi,

I read a study the other day: researchers have now found that the fungus Malassezia (which is the predominant fungus on our skin) plays a large role in pancreatic cancer.

Apparently, it can colonise in the stomach and then pass the barrier into the pancreas, where it is instrumental in the development and progression of pancreatic cancer.

I have been a nail biter for years, but have now stopped. I also have a fungal nail infection which I’m treating. A few weeks ago I noticed that my thumb nails on both hands looked a bit discoloured, and the only explaination I can think of is that the nail infection from my foot has spread to my finger nails somewhat. Being a nail biter, I will have inevitably consumed whatever fungus was on my nail by biting them, which may well be the Malassezia fungus.

Further more, this fungus is all over our skin, and for years I have compulsively bitten the skin on my fingers.

Basically I will have inevitably swallowed bits of nail and skin, and I’m worried that I may have caused this fungus to colonise in my stomach, which may spread to my pancreas and cause cancer to develop. Do you think I should go and get my pancreas checked out?

Many thanks.

pulisa
04-07-21, 14:28
No...but I do think you should try to resist being drawn to research and analyse such subjects. How on earth did you "come across" such a topic? You've made huge assumptions here which will only distress and panic you completely unnecessarily/

Sophia_cindy
04-07-21, 14:29
Hi,

I read a study the other day: researchers have now found that the fungus Malassezia (which is the predominant fungus on our skin) plays a large role in pancreatic cancer.

Apparently, it can colonise in the stomach and then pass the barrier into the pancreas, where it is instrumental in the development and progression of pancreatic cancer.

I have been a nail biter for years, but have now stopped. I also have a fungal nail infection which I’m treating. A few weeks ago I noticed that my thumb nails on both hands looked a bit discoloured, and the only explaination I can think of is that the nail infection from my foot has spread to my finger nails somewhat. Being a nail biter, I will have inevitably consumed whatever fungus was on my nail by biting them, which may well be the Malassezia fungus.

Further more, this fungus is all over our skin, and for years I have compulsively bitten the skin on my fingers.

Basically I will have inevitably swallowed bits of nail and skin, and I’m worried that I may have caused this fungus to colonise in my stomach, which may spread to my pancreas and cause cancer to develop. Do you think I should go and get my pancreas checked out?

Many thanks.
No! Come on! A lot of people bite their nails ! We would have all died had it been so easy!

fizzymoon86
04-07-21, 21:49
Nope nope nope and did I mention…nope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lofwyr
09-07-21, 04:51
The thing that needs to be brought up here is avoiding triggers. Knowing you have health anxiety, you have got to learn to quit digging up research, especially research this obscure. One doesn't simply stumble across these things, and when you do, learn not to click on it.

I know the news loves to lead with scary stuff, and sometimes those triggers jump out at us from nowhere, but this sort of study and research can and should be avoided unless it is somehow important to your life.

bin tenn
09-07-21, 05:28
The thing that needs to be brought up here is avoiding triggers. Knowing you have health anxiety, you have got to learn to quit digging up research, especially research this obscure. One doesn't simply stumble across these things, and when you do, learn not to click on it.

I know the news loves to lead with scary stuff, and sometimes those triggers jump out at us from nowhere, but this sort of study and research can and should be avoided unless it is somehow important to your life.

I agree, in the short term. However IMO the long term solution should be to change the way we react (or don't react at all) to said triggers.

NoraB
09-07-21, 06:44
I agree, in the short term. However IMO the long term solution should be to change the way we react (or don't react at all) to said triggers.

Exactly this!

lofwyr
10-07-21, 03:57
Oh, absolutely. I guess I sort of assumed that I guess, so my fault for not being clearer there. Good call.