PDA

View Full Version : Scared I'll have same health problems as mum

wasdhu
05-07-21, 22:51
Today my mum spent half an hour telling me in great detail about her vertigo and migranes and how horrible it is, and now I'm trying not to have an anxiety attack thinking about the same thing happening to me one day - I already have enough helath issues to worry about as it is. I wish I could've told her to stop but in the moment I couldn't manage it.... The fact we're related makes this really difficult, I have a hard time anxiety wise with diseases/problems that run in the family

Is anyone else like this? Anyone have any encouraging words? I think that's what I need most right now

chinesewall
06-07-21, 08:26
I don't have anxiety over them, but vertigo - tick! - and migraines - tick! and my mum gets them... I think when I developed them I recognised them immediately as what my mother was talking about, and possibly decided they weren't making such a big fuss as she did over them (hmm, not very kind with hindsight). For me they're an annoyance rather than a focus for fretting, which seems from her example to make them worse. Does your mum know about your HA? if not, maybe take half an hour to explain (reciprocity and all that) and ask if she'd help you to tackle it, one way being for her to avoid transmitting health related angst to you...

wasdhu
06-07-21, 18:57
I did tell her today that she made me anxious about it. Thinking about it has been making me feel light headed - almost like a dizzy feeling hahahahahaaaa.. - but im not 100% worried because I know I get light-headed/slightly dizzy from anxiety sometimes. It's just a case of my body trying to manifest the very thing I'm worried about at the moment, which doesn't help me to forget about it.

Bringing it up again today, even if it was just her comforting me, did make the anxiety worse. I knew she got vertigo before, but hearing about the details of how it affected her really made me worry, because for her it was debilitating.

I'm trying hard to remind myself I could develop a million things at any point, which keeps the anxiety around, but it's easy to be generally anxious about the vague bigger picture than to be hyper focused on one detail