PDA

View Full Version : Still can’t seem to put weight on. Can this still be anxiety?

Nighttime pacer
06-07-21, 23:30
Hey all,
A while back I posted about the fact that during the pandemic I’ve lost a total of 1.5 stone (around 21 pounds) in weight.
My GP says it’s anxiety, I’ve had 2 lots of blood tests and also recently had a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. All the results were normal.
I’m still eating around 2,500 calories a day but stubbornly my weight is stuck quite a bit lighter than I’d like to be.
I do feel tired a lot but realise that anxiety can cause that too.
I’ve been really anxious during the pandemic as I had quite bad health anxiety anyway and was always concerned about contamination and illness and death.
I’ve also not been working at all for the last 15 months and haven’t received any government help due to my circumstances so have been having to live off savings.
Hopefully I’ll be going back to work soon but that worries me too as it’ll involve getting on trains and going into London. I have had 2 doses of the vaccine though and also had the virus about 14 months ago so am hoping I’ll have a reasonable amount of immunity.
Sorry for the long post but my anxiety and weight loss is really getting to me.
Anyone got any tips?
Thanks in advance,
Nighttime Pacer

NoraB
07-07-21, 06:56
Sorry for the long post but my anxiety and weight loss is really getting to me.

This is why you're losing weight...

Anyone got any tips?

Weight loss with anxiety is very common and most people with anxiety have weight management issues which include losing or gaining weight. I lose weight with anxiety and I lost two stone during my worst phase of health anxiety - which ended in a breakdown!

Reasons for weight loss are simple. We lose our appetite so eat less than we should. That was me - I just couldn't eat. Also, and given your username I'd say this one applies to you - we use a lot of nervous energy. We move around a lot - we pace, our legs shake and twitch. Our bodies feel 'wired'. Basically, we are always unintentionally moving, and this will burn calories!

My metabolism went nuts when I had my breakdown. I had muscle wastage too. This all added fuel to my 'I have cancer' fire, but I didn't have cancer; I had severe generalised anxiety and health anxiety on top of my 'normal' MH issues and whatnot. Once I calmed my system down (and it took a lot of hard work and determination) the weight started to go back on..

Even if you're not working, I'd advise doing some form of exercising to discharge some of those stress hormones. Work on your health anxiety and do what you can to improve your general MH. Your hard work will pay off. But seeing as you are posting about the same issue, I imagine that you've not done anything proactive since the last time?

Seeking reassurance won't help you long-term Pacer. And many people with HA want to feel better but not to have to graft for it, and that doesn't work either. There is no easy way out of this.

My advice is to accept that you've been tested for diseases that can cause weight loss and there's nothing to be found, but that you are severely anxious - which means that your stress response is jammed on - even at night - which means that you are burning lots of calories.

The more you dwell on the weight loss, the 'bigger' the problem becomes. It's you who is causing the weight loss. Your thoughts. Your imagination. Your ignorance of how the stress response works. You've probably never bothered to understand it because you've been too fixated on imaginary diseases, right?

Stop worrying about weight and calories. Eat well. Little and often and don't be counting calories. Exercise daily. Work on challenging those irrational thoughts of yours..

pulisa
07-07-21, 08:03
And maybe chuck the scales out as well so that you don't keep monitoring your weight?

NoraB
07-07-21, 08:20
And maybe chuck the scales out as well so that you don't keep monitoring your weight?

ABSOLUTELY THIS!!!!

In the bin with them! :yesyes:

Nighttime pacer
08-07-21, 04:01
Thanks for that. To be honest I’m going to stop posting on this forum as at times the responses though well intentioned I’m sure seem to me downright rude and insulting. I have read about the stress response a lot. I’ve also tried some meditation and talking therapy but am still really struggling and sometimes just a little gentle reassurance is helpful.

bin tenn
08-07-21, 04:29
I don't know if the same is true for you, but I've personally always struggled to gain weight. It's not necessarily a bad thing, because I've never been remotely close to being obese, but I did once feel like I'd possibly look healthier if I put on a few pounds (a healthy amount, not unhealthy).

I don't think mine is related to anxiety. It really just runs in the family, "high metabolism" as some say though I suspect it's more complicated than that.

In the past few years I've actually managed to put on a bit of weight. I used to be a consistent 150-155lbs, and now I hover around 170lbs. I've changed nothing about my diet or lifestyle that would have that much of an impact on weight. I also haven't gone above about 175lbs ever.

I can lose weight easily. If I'm down with an illness, such as a stomach bug, I may lose 5-10lbs. And it takes FOREVER to get it back.

Again, not sure if it's the same for you, but that's my experience with weight.

NoraB
08-07-21, 07:56
Thanks for that. To be honest I’m going to stop posting on this forum as at times the responses though well intentioned I’m sure seem to me downright rude and insulting. I have read about the stress response a lot. I’ve also tried some meditation and talking therapy but am still really struggling and sometimes just a little gentle reassurance is helpful.

Pacer, I apologise if I'm included in the above. I can assure you that being rude/insulting people is NOT my intention!

I try to balance my responses, and I like to use humour - which some people misinterpret - but I know that I don't always get it right, and it bothers me when that happens..

However, I've been where you are (and worse) and I don't want to reassure you. I want you to beat, or control, your health anxiety so you can have a life.

Tea and sympathy might be what you want Pacer, but this, alone, WON'T help you.

Reading about the stress response and understanding it are two different things. People with HA often scan read what's helpful and fixate on what's not..

And, I really want to point something out to you...

Do you imagine that I'm not struggling right now? I am struggling. Not with health anxiety but with other mental health issues, yet I took the time to try and help you? Just as I did with your previous thread of the same complaint. How did those reassuring comments on the other thread help you? I presume any reassurance was short-lived seeing as you're saying the same things on a new thread? And that's my point. Do you want to be reassured for a few days or weeks. Or do you want out of the hell you're in? I chose 'out'. :shrug:

Don't leave the forum Pacer. If it's reassurance you want there are plenty of people who will oblige, and it's generally because they are still grappling with HA themselves - whereas I am in control of my health anxiety. I never intended to upset you, and I am sorry that this appears to be the case..

There will be no more responses by me, and I genuinely wish you all the very best and hope that you find a way to get your life back. N.

pulisa
08-07-21, 08:33

"Rude and insulting"? You DID ask for tips and Nora provided you with a whole range of excellent tips. I chipped in with the scales issue because I too am really thin and have been through the CT scanning/blood tests to and realise how damaging constant weighing can be re anxiety management.

I hope you can find your gentle reassurance from others though and am sorry I couldn't help you.

Iwant2bhealthy
08-07-21, 18:35
On top of the advice you got above I would also suggest adding high calorie, but nutritious snacks such as 20-30 almonds 2-3 times a day or a nutritdrink (you can buy them at the pharmacy). It’s very important that you eat/drink them between the meals! This way your body will not be burning the resources it has on stock but rather burn the sugar you provide. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk