PDA

View Full Version : 24 year old male, can’t get the HPV vaccine (UK) should I be fearful of seeing people

LG18
08-07-21, 21:03
When I was at school, the HPV vaccine was only offered to girls. After I left that stated to offer it to boys as well.

I missed that opportunity and presumed I’d still be able to have it at my local surgery. This is not the case. It’s only offered to men who have sex with men, for some reason.

I’m very anxious about contracting HPV and subsequently getting cancer because of it. I’ve only ever been with one person (who had also only been with me) so there’s no way I have it now. I’m single now, though, and the prospect of meeting someone else fills me with dread at the prospect of contracting this.

Should I be worried? Is there a way to get the vaccine privately?

Many thanks.

wasdhu
09-07-21, 14:14
That’s really strange to me that they only vaccinate men if they have sex with men? I don’t know much about this kind of stuff but it feels a bit backwards, maybe if you tried a different surgery they would do it? although idk why you can’t just say that you’re interested in men, if that’s what it would take for you to get vaccinated

as for dating, if abstaining from sex for a month or two is something you can do, then just get to know the person first and then once you feel comfortable, ask them if they can get tested before you do anything. if they say no then you probably shouldn’t be dating them anyway. maybe thats not fun or exciting but neither is having an anxiety attack because you think you have an sti