PDA

View Full Version : Hand wouldn’t move

Cptdebbie
14-07-21, 18:42
I know I’m spiraling. I need a little help to get going in the right direction again. I hope someone has experienced this and can give me some hope.

I have something going on with my hands - arthritis, tendinitis, carpal tunnel or something. I have a lot of pain in my wrists and hands, and some swelling too. I have a doctor appointment next week.

My issue is this. Three times now I’ve tried to move my hand and it won’t move. I try again immediately after and it moves.

I have a friend who just died last Friday from ALS. I’m dealing with that loss and some personal issues. So, I’m a bit of a mess and naturally I am sure this non movement thing is ALS.

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks,
Debbie

Speranza
14-07-21, 22:34
I've had something similar in the past. I'm pretty sure it can be an anxiety symptom. You're doing the right thing seeing the GP but I imagine it will be to do with bereavement at its core.

My dad died of Motor Neurone Disease and I spent years with the symptoms!! Came to nothing.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your friend would want you to get checked out and then get on with life. XX

Cptdebbie
15-07-21, 00:02
Thank you, Speranza, for your kind reply. It helps me a lot to have someone to discuss these matters with.
Best,
Debbie

NoraB
15-07-21, 09:44
I know I’m spiraling. I need a little help to get going in the right direction again. I hope someone has experienced this and can give me some hope.

I have something going on with my hands - arthritis, tendinitis, carpal tunnel or something. I have a lot of pain in my wrists and hands, and some swelling too. I have a doctor appointment next week.

My issue is this. Three times now I’ve tried to move my hand and it won’t move. I try again immediately after and it moves.

I have a friend who just died last Friday from ALS. I’m dealing with that loss and some personal issues. So, I’m a bit of a mess and naturally I am sure this non movement thing is ALS.

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks,
Debbie

Your mate dies from ALS and suddenly you 'can't move' your hand? :unsure:

My mum died suddenly. Her heart gave out. That night, I woke up with severe chest pain..

There may well be something minor going on with your hands, but it's your mind which is making the ALS connection..

Cptdebbie
15-07-21, 14:50
Thanks for your input Nora. It’s amazing what our minds can do to our bodies. I wish I could go the other way - think positive and get rid of these anxiety issues. Maybe someday. 😁

pulisa
15-07-21, 19:59
Why not commit yourself to making "someday" more definite, Debbie? "Someday" sounds vague and unlikely. You have the power within you to make a difference.

Cptdebbie
15-07-21, 20:18
Hi Pulisa, I always appreciate your responses. Thank you. I know I have the power within me. I’m finding it, one baby step at a time. 😁

NoraB
16-07-21, 06:58
Thanks for your input Nora. It’s amazing what our minds can do to our bodies. I wish I could go the other way - think positive and get rid of these anxiety issues. Maybe someday. 

Here's your problem Debbie..

There's no room for 'buts' and 'maybes' with overcoming health anxiety. You have to use absolutes. You have to make your HA mind know that you mean business!

I will.

Your catastrophic/i thinking has put you in the position you're in now and everything has an opposite. You thought your way into this mess, now you need to think your way out.

Fearful thinking activates the sympathetic nervous system response (fight or flight) = anxiety symptoms = health anxiety (if anxiety is not understood)

Rational/positive thinking and relaxation (deep breathing etc) actively turns OFF the fight or flight response and turns ON the parasympathetic nervous response (rest and digest)

Your thoughts are constantly flicking a switch on in your body. If you find your heart racing, that's the fight or flight response. Start to breathe deeply and slowly and the heart will slow down - this is because you're engaging the parasympathetic response. The problem is that in constantly triggering the fight or flight response with your fearful thoughts, you are releasing stress hormones into your body, and constantly - so this means that things never get to settle down completely - which is why those symptoms persist, Do you understand?

Speranza
16-07-21, 08:43
What a great explanation. At some point a long time ago I realised if I didn't get a grip it would increase its grip on me. (Just seen the irony given we're discussing hands).

Just remembered that I had some really odd hand symptoms very like yours and one night I woke suddenly and realised my fists were clenched really really tight. And then I realised this was why my hands were feeling funny in the day. Anxiety in my sleep!

Yes it does take time but NOW is always the right moment to tackle it. x