PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Mary

Dave777
13-11-07, 12:35
Hi, did anybody see a TV drama called Capturing Mary, BB2 12/11/07, it was fantastic !!
I'd be interested in any idears relating to what it was all about.

In this, the companion piece to Stephen Poliakoff's 'Joe's Palace', Poliakoff takes his characters into a dark and terrifying exploration of the past. Dame Maggie Smith, in the title role, is taken back to the time when she was a brilliant writer and critic, remembering parties and functions with the cultural elite. She is haunted by the memory of a supremely charming but subtly evil man, Greville (David Walliams), who feigned friendship, but had a devastating effect on her life. As in 'Joe's Palace', Danny Lee Wynter plays the role of Joe.

groovygranny
13-11-07, 13:29
I was out last night til late - but I've just watched the first 20mins on replay during my lunch-break !!:shades:.....and I'm rivetted!

Can't wait to get home from school and watch the rest!! Failing that, it will have to be after BD tonight lol !!

Crikey, this is just like being 12 yrs old again and rushing home to watch the Monkees lol !! :winks:

I love atmospheric dramas - and Maggie Smith!

Good call Dave!:yesyes:

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

clickaway
13-11-07, 13:35
I sat down to watch it but then fell asleep as I was quite drained! What a bummer.

I saw some of it with bleary eyes and somehow it did indeed seem captivating.

Just hope it is repeated to save buying the DVD!

groovygranny
13-11-07, 18:24
Wow, captivating it was. (just this minute finished watching it!):huh:

Hauntingly, disturbingly uncomfortable.......... and yet exhilerating.

Maybe we all have a 'Greville White' lurking somewhere in our lives or memories - I know I have.

And, my interpretation of the core of the story was that he wasn't a real person at all - he was the manifestation of our anxieties and insecurities. The little bugging reminder that stirs our mind to think of 'what might have been' or what we would like to have said or how we would like to have reacted to people or life situations.

I know I used to do this such a lot at one time. Like Mary, I'd re-live situations and conversations where I would be the confident, assertive and magnetic personality who wouldn't allow herself to be taken advantage of. Alas, the reality was as far from the fantasy as it could possibly get!

But that's all changing now: slowly, surely and not without it's difficulties - like Mary I do not intend for my 'Greville' to wander about and stir things up for me, thus keeping me captive. No, he's on his way out and, one day, like her I shall sit in the park, and when I casually glance up from my book - he will be gone!

Bet you wish you never asked now Dave - that'll teach ya lol !!!:blush:

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

xxx