PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2020/2021

AntsyVee
24-07-21, 18:16
I haven't seen an Olympics discussion thread yet. Anyone watch the opening ceremony? Thoughts? I felt like it was advocating group interpretive dance as a new sport :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
24-07-21, 20:13
The part where they played game music? :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
24-07-21, 20:16
I loved the bit with the 1800 illuminated drones...

WiredIncorrectly
24-07-21, 20:29

Awesome what they did there. The programming work, and the synchronization of so many moving parts, that is fundamentally 0's and 1's without a single bit failing ... that's very impressive. What if one fails and drops, how do the other drones react? They'd move out the way, so there's sensing and AI at work there too.

I don't want to derail the thread, but if this can be done for fun we shouldn't think about what the militaries are doing with this :whistles:

glassgirlw
25-07-21, 01:41
It was so odd seeing no crowds in the stands. Except for that 1/4 of the stadium that everyone was packed into, which made little sense to me. You have a whole stadium, spread them people out a little haha. Agree on the interpretive dance, and I did love the pyrotechnics, but I’m a sucker for that anyway lol. Currently watching a little beach volleyball waiting on some gymnastics. And looking forward to seeing some surfing/skateboarding eventually! Kind of a fun new addition to the games.

WiredIncorrectly
25-07-21, 10:34
How come the west don't have surfing and skateboarding in the olympics?

Pamplemousse
25-07-21, 13:30
How come the west don't have surfing and skateboarding in the olympics?

It's not a case of "the West" James, what sports are in the Olympics are constantly under review and more often than not, chosen upon the basis of what will bring TV viewers and thus advertising revenue to the channels.

WiredIncorrectly
25-07-21, 14:02
It's not a case of "the West" James, what sports are in the Olympics are constantly under review and more often than not, chosen upon the basis of what will bring TV viewers and thus advertising revenue to the channels.

I remember as a kid they had the Olympics in China, or Japan. They released a game for it, and it had all sorts of games like footsie with the beanbag. You don't really see that when hosted in the west.

So you mean in Tokyo people want to see those sports because they're popular games there?

AntsyVee
25-07-21, 18:12

Yeah, I thought the drones were the best part!

I'm watching skateboarding now... Did you guys see the guy from Ecuador win the bike race? It's only like their 2nd gold medal ever

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-21, 06:13
Just watched the last two preliminaries and the final in the women's street skateboarding. Some very young and experienced girls in the final. I was supporting the 13 year old Brazilian. She was a team player and positive.

I was disappointed that the favourite (knocked out) in the Brazilian team threw a moody and didn't even join her team mates in the final to cheer her on.

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-21, 06:16
A couple of interesting bits:

1) the rugby ball driven on by a RC car.

2) the total balls up made of the men's triathlon. So if the officials couldn't see a big rib boat blocking the start will we see team coaches in the way at the start of track & field events? :doh::roflmao:

Carnation
26-07-21, 10:53
I'm an avid watcher of Olympic Games opening ceremonies and this one was the worst. Apart from the drone display the rest was blur. The shortest ceremony and participating countries ever. I was disappointed because Japan are known for their technology and think they could have done far more if they didn't want to have so many humans in the display. Maybe they should have waited another year with so many athletes absent.

Pamplemousse
26-07-21, 12:41
I remember as a kid they had the Olympics in China, or Japan. They released a game for it, and it had all sorts of games like footsie with the beanbag. You don't really see that when hosted in the west.

So you mean in Tokyo people want to see those sports because they're popular games there?

There's a good explanation here of the "new" sports here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57240400

WiredIncorrectly
26-07-21, 13:08
There's a good explanation here of the "new" sports here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57240400

Thanks PM :)

AntsyVee
26-07-21, 18:37
A couple of interesting bits:

1) the rugby ball driven on by a RC car.

2) the total balls up made of the men's triathlon. So if the officials couldn't see a big rib boat blocking the start will we see team coaches in the way at the start of track & field events? :doh::roflmao:

Did you see the triathlon winner? The Dutch uniform didn’t leave much to the imagination when all wet ;)

WiredIncorrectly
26-07-21, 20:24
Did you see the triathlon winner? The Dutch uniform didn’t leave much to the imagination when all wet ;)

Pics?

AntsyVee
26-07-21, 23:33
Oops, I meant the Norwegian uniform...

https://cloudfront-us-east-2.images.arcpublishing.com/reuters/JT4OPJMU2NPPLKOLUHTGZLIRJA.jpg

glassgirlw
27-07-21, 01:24
Daley is diving so well!!!!! Come on gold!!!!

Catkins
27-07-21, 06:32
Daley is diving so well!!!!! Come on gold!!!!

I'm so pleased for him! He's do e so well.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-21, 06:43

Oh yes, he seemed to be inspired by Superman! https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/cinema/h0210.gif He's probably more used to the less visible effects of colder weather but with Japan's humidity not much was left to the imagination :whistles:

Our guy, Yee, had a low cut v back think going on.

AntsyVee
27-07-21, 18:46
Oh yes, he seemed to be inspired by Superman! https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/cinema/h0210.gif He's probably more used to the less visible effects of colder weather but with Japan's humidity not much was left to the imagination :whistles:

Our guy, Yee, had a low cut v back think going on.

Hey, I'm not complaining...it's better than watching the divers pick their wedgies! LOL

AntsyVee
27-07-21, 19:16
Damn...Switzerland swept women's mountain biking!

Did you all see our lil 17 year old win the gold in women's swimming last night (100 m breast)? They only have one olympic sized pool in the whole state of Alaska where she's from! LOL

Fishmanpa
28-07-21, 01:11
Very interesting about Simone Biles withdraw from the competition due to mental health reasons. It's opened up a lot of talk about mental health.

FMP

glassgirlw
28-07-21, 02:44
Not going to lie - I was super sad to see her pull out. That being said though, what an insane amount of bravery that took, for her to stand up in front of the entire world and say she was struggling mentally. Holy cow. A big corner may have been turned today for those of us that struggle with mental health issues. It’s time that the stigma went away, and I feel like Biles set that in motion today. And huge congrats to the other three team members, first time olympians, for hanging in there and fighting for that silver medal. We’ll see big things from those ladies!!

AntsyVee
28-07-21, 04:05
Not going to lie - I was super sad to see her pull out. That being said though, what an insane amount of bravery that took, for her to stand up in front of the entire world and say she was struggling mentally. Holy cow. A big corner may have been turned today for those of us that struggle with mental health issues. It’s time that the stigma went away, and I feel like Biles set that in motion today. And huge congrats to the other three team members, first time olympians, for hanging in there and fighting for that silver medal. We’ll see big things from those ladies!!

100% agree.

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. These athletes can’t tune out the media to focus on their sport like they should be able to do cause they need their sponsorships. It’s an insane amount of pressure. Same thing happened with Phelps in the last one.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-21, 06:57
I was sad to see Biles pull out too. I've seen her in competition before and she is incredible, as many of them are.

The British womens hope at Wimbledon pulled out for similiar. Sounded like being overwhelmed and experienced a panic attack. It was debated, lauded, McEnroe got slated by some and now it's all forgotten. Maybe it will be different in the US but our media will have moved on by next week.

She's not the first athlete, we've had young gymnasts say the same, but I think it will be encouraging change within sport (hopefully) without helping out mental health awareness much in general. Other female gymnasts I've seen in articles have mentioned the pressure they are under and how they felt raising this was brushed aside in favour of winning.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-21, 07:03
Hey, I'm not complaining...it's better than watching the divers pick their wedgies! LOL

:biggrin: I'll admit to avoiding swimming. For some reason I've always found it underwhelming compared to track & field. No offence to the athletes, they are equals in my eyes to any other.

So no I didn't see your Alaskan. Sounds like she will be a rising star. A heroes welcome will be awaiting her.

In the women's street skateboarding one of yours was 34. I think they said the average age was 14. She must have felt like mum! She did well but is a veteran of top level boarding. She was at the back in her prelim but rocketed forward with the tricks including in the final.

Lencoboy
28-07-21, 08:36
Very interesting about Simone Biles withdraw from the competition due to mental health reasons. It's opened up a lot of talk about mental health.

FMP

And hopefully for the right reasons.

Fishmanpa
28-07-21, 12:58
And hopefully for the right reasons.

Overall, I do believe it will have a positive effect and help others who are struggling. That said, one read of the right wing news sites comments and you get a good taste of the opposite.

FMP

AntsyVee
28-07-21, 17:34
:biggrin: I'll admit to avoiding swimming. For some reason I've always found it underwhelming compared to track & field. No offence to the athletes, they are equals in my eyes to any other.

So no I didn't see your Alaskan. Sounds like she will be a rising star. A heroes welcome will be awaiting her.

In the women's street skateboarding one of yours was 34. I think they said the average age was 14. She must have felt like mum! She did well but is a veteran of top level boarding. She was at the back in her prelim but rocketed forward with the tricks including in the final.

I love watching swimming, but that's because that's the sport I was in at school.

Yes, I saw our 34 year old! Kudos to her! All those other competitors could have been her children!

Lencoboy
28-07-21, 19:53
Overall, I do believe it will have a positive effect and help others who are struggling. That said, one read of the right wing news sites comments and you get a good taste of the opposite.

FMP

Yeah, the kind of die-hard far-righters who would blatantly believe that all persons with MH issues and/or not 'normal' should be shot at birth!

Perhaps (most ironically) many of those 'far-righters' happen to have MH issues themselves, so it's very much a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black' as far as I'm concerned!