PDA

View Full Version : Taking Blood .....

Krakers
13-11-07, 16:52
As I've posted previously, I've been referred for residential detox.

I had a list of fears (sleeping on a ward, not being able to discharge myself, I may be in there for too long, it looking like a loony bin), all of which I have been reassured about.

You get a private room, can walk at any time, it shouldn't take more than 7 to 10 days (although that seems like a miracle amount of time if they can pull it off), and its more of a facility than a hospital ward.

The only thing left now is my phobia of needles. Specifically Intra Venus ones - ie how they take blood samples. I've never had a blood test in my life because of this phobia, and have refused other appointments / tests for the same reason.

A condition of me going in is that I give daily samples. I just can't do it. Everyone tells me its a breeze, you don't really feel anything, and you don't have to look. I'm just too phobic I suppose to get round this obstacle.

Does anyone know of any other way they can perform these tests without putting a needle in my arm ???

Krakers.

shoegal
13-11-07, 17:04
Hi Krakers,

I'm sorry but I don't know of any other way they can take samples unless they can get the same information from a urine sample? It depends what they are testing you for I suppose.

I know this won't help much, but I also hate needles. When I give a blood sample, I tell the nurse how I feel and then she lets me lie down on a bed to do it. It doesn't really hurt - you just feel a little prick, and I ask the nurse to keep chatting to me while she does it to take my mind off it. I try not to look at what she's doing as this makes me feel really squeamish, and after she's taken the sample I lie down for a few minutes to let the feeling pass. Then I sit up slowly and have a sweet drink or some chocolate to help overcome the faint feeling (which is caused by my anxiety, not the tiny bit of blood she took, LOL)!

I know you must be feeling terrified, but like most things it's the thought of it which is much worse than the actual event.

I hope there is some way round this for you so you can get the help you need.

Good luck. :)

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

angiebaby
13-11-07, 18:51
Yes, Emla cream is used an hour on each point of access, vein, available to take blood from an hour before the test, although it does just numb the top layer of skin i'm afraid. They use it on the children's wards and i think it is available to buy over the counter in some places. But they may not have it available where you are going, you could always get some though i suppose.
When i have a client in who is afraid i lay them down first and just keep talking to them and this does help a lot, they don't notice then, distracting them from the event, asking them questions etc. It does work, believe me.
I am sorry that you are so scared that this is going to happen, but please believe me that when you have had it done you will feel much better and much more confident as you WILL be fine. It doesn't take long, i know this won't help how you feel, but it will go so quickly.
I have had a phobia of my own blood since i was 6, so i know exactly how you feel, but i have had to have lots and lots of tests through my life and i've had three children, can't believe i've done that really, lol.
When do you have to go in? Unfortunately it seems that you may not have any choice if this is a condition. They may test your urine as well but i think that they will still have to have the blood too.
From my own experience i can tell you that it is just a very quick procedure, honestly, and you look the other way and it will be done and dusted.
I hope you get on fine, i know that you will. Please let me know.x

AmandaG
13-11-07, 20:46
Hi Krakers,
I'm very bothered by anything medical, especially needles, and I actually had to give a blood sample myself just this morning. The nurses who take blood are really lovely, and do their best to make you feel comfortable. If you tell them you have a phobia about it and don't want to see the needle, they'll make sure you don't see it. They can talk you through it, and give you time to relax afterwards if you need it.
You usually get the option of sitting back or lying back if you prefer it. It's over really quickly too.
The pain itself really is just a pinch - I still don't like giving a blood sample, but every time I end up thinking "Was that it?!" afterwards.

Krakers
15-11-07, 01:21
Hi all - and thanks for your great replies.

I believe its to test for alcohol in my bloodstream, but as I'm residential, surely after a day or so then it should be really low anyway ? Also, they're going to increase my diazepam to counter the effects of withdrawal. If they do release me in 7 - 10 days I've now got the extra worry that I'll end up in another detox for benzo withdrawal.

If it is for alcohol, why can't they do a breath test like the police ? Or a urine test ?

I've got to wait for my referal to a Psych type GP, as apparantly this kind of thing isn't cheap and the NHS need to get prior approval for funding.

Please don't think I'm a snob, but on my last appointment there were people in the waiting room either quite clearly high, inebriated, or in one girls case shouting for her methodone prescription.

As much as I acknowledge I have a problem, I'd hate to end up with people like this with me. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

As for taking blood, I've listened to what everyone has said. However there isn't a cat in hells chance I'll admit myself if they insist. Sad I know, especially seeing people have gone out of their way to get me the help I absolutely need.

Whatever happened to laughing gas ? I remeber being knocked out when I was a child for a tooth extraction. Isn't that a possibility ?

Krakers.