PDA

View Full Version : Starting at 50mg per day next week

irishman7
05-08-21, 20:18
I am stopping trazodone due to side affects.
The GP on the phone today said pregabalin is a very good medication for anxiety.
So I’m looking forward to seeing what it is like.

What are your thoughts on this medication will it be a life saver?

Scissel
05-08-21, 20:23
HI.. :)

Trazodone stopped working for me ages ago and I didn't like the feeling of being zonked the next day.

I found gabapentin to be helpful for a little while, but I don't know I'd say it was a life saver. It could be me, but meds tend to poop out after a while on me.

Worth a try though and hope you find it helpful. Are you supposed to take it regularly or just as needed?

irishman7
05-08-21, 21:00
HI.. :)

Trazodone stopped working for me ages ago and I didn't like the feeling of being zonked the next day.

I found gabapentin to be helpful for a little while, but I don't know I'd say it was a life saver. It could be me, but meds tend to poop out after a while on me.

Worth a try though and hope you find it helpful. Are you supposed to take it regularly or just as needed?

Thanks so much for your reply I really appreciate the time you have taken out of your day to send me a message.
What way did trazodone stop working for you?
To be honest for me it sent me a bit haywire, mad anxiety and then at night time felt I was loosing my mind. So glad I’m stopping it.

Are you still on gabapentin? Or what are you on for anxiety?
I’ll be taking this daily as my anxiety is a mess at the moment unfortunately, I don’t mind taking it long term if it sorts me out

Scissel
06-08-21, 00:04
You're quite welcome.

The trazodone used to put me to sleep for years and after a while it started to actually (as you said) cause anxiety city throughout the day.

No I'm no longer on gabapentin. It got me through some rough times though. Worth a try and if it helps you manage the insomnia/anxiety that will be great, but, unfortunately, these GABA meds just have a way (as I'm sure you've read) to level themselves out and our brains get used to it. I'm actually on clonazepam and luckily it still works, but I try to cut back when I can because I don't want to up the dosage anymore. Its strange because I'm on an AD and my anxiety isn't managed well and we're thinking about either going back to Sertraline at a higher dosage (which caused side effects) or try something else.

Anyway, we are all different and YMMV, so I wish you luck with starting this med :)

panic_down_under
07-08-21, 03:44
What are your thoughts on this medication will it be a life saver?

Pregabalin does essentially the same thing as benzodiazepines (BZDs), just from a different direction. BZDs work by increasing the infux of negatively charged ions into neurons making it harder for them to raise their internal voltages to the 'firing' threshold. Pregabalin (and gabapentin) achieve the same result by inhibiting the infux of positively charged calcium ions.

Like the BZDs tolerance can be an issue, although it is usually slower to begin, as are difficult withdrawals. If you read previous posts in this sub you'll see that not many are on pregabalin alone. Imho, if ADs work they are a better bet.

irishman7
10-08-21, 22:27
Pregabalin does essentially the same thing as benzodiazepines (BZDs), just from a different direction. BZDs work by increasing the infux of negatively charged ions into neurons making it harder for them to raise their internal voltages to the 'firing' threshold. Pregabalin (and gabapentin) achieve the same result by inhibiting the infux of positively charged calcium ions.

So today is my 3rd day on pregabalin and I notice a nice relaxed feeling each day. Its amazing how similar it is to Xanax! So basically when you say they make it harder for neurone to raise the voltage does that mean since they can't go high voltage our minds become levelled out in a relaxed state?

Im really fascinated to learn about this and your very knowledgeable in this area so im happy to learn from you

panic_down_under
11-08-21, 04:33
So basically when you say they make it harder for neurone to raise the voltage does that mean since they can't go high voltage our minds become levelled out in a relaxed state?

Neurons depolarise ('fire') when their internal voltage climbs from a resting potential of around -70mV to about +40mV relative to the external volts. Drugs like the BZDs and pregabalin make this harder to achieve which slows down the firing rate and we experience this as sedation.

Scissel
11-08-21, 19:56
...Im really fascinated to learn about this and your very knowledgeable in this area so im happy to learn from youHi there, I'm also quite fascinated and hope to learn more myself as I'm struggling to break free from benzodiazepines and would love to find another way. Panic_Down_Under really knows his stuff when it comes to the way meds work in the brain.

I'm glad you feeling more relaxed, though. So you used to take Xanax? I was horribly addicted to that and quitting it was pure hell to say the very least ... even worse than alcohol. Speaking of which, I hope you won't drink while on this medication, trust me on that one.

Scissel
11-08-21, 22:12
Quite honestly, I'm about ready to stand in a lightning storm with an umbrella to get my Neurons going. :wall:

panic_down_under
12-08-21, 01:37
So you used to take Xanax? I was horribly addicted to that and quitting it was pure hell to say the very least ... even worse than alcohol.

Switching to a longer half-life BZD like diazepam and tapering off it is usually easier.

Scissel
14-08-21, 17:04
Thank you; panic_down_under - I appreciate your advice. I hope so one day to be free from it.

So how are you doing; irishman7?

irishman7
16-08-21, 20:27
Hi there, I'm also quite fascinated and hope to learn more myself as I'm struggling to break free from benzodiazepines and would love to find another way. Panic_Down_Under really knows his stuff when it comes to the way meds work in the brain.

I'm glad you feeling more relaxed, though. So you used to take Xanax? I was horribly addicted to that and quitting it was pure hell to say the very least ... even worse than alcohol. Speaking of which, I hope you won't drink while on this medication, trust me on that one.

What benzo are you trying to break free from? I remember I was given 2 weeks supply of Xanax couple of years ago when I was starting lexapro, ooh my the euphoria was unbelievable it really was brilliant! I remember thinking that is what life should be like the whole time just pure relaxed and happy. I can't take any benzos here in Ireland as benzos are illegal for driving and if your caught you get banned from driving for 3 years so I need my car so I can't take them lol.

Yeah panic down under is really really knowledgeable I like chatting with him about these things :)

irishman7
16-08-21, 20:30
So how are you doing; irishman7?

So today is my 2nd week taking pregabalin I am up to 75mg three times a day and then week 3 I will go up to 125mg a day. I feel a lovely sense of calm still which is amazing, id say 90% of my anxiety is gone. I say the higher doses will sort me out finally.
I went to a hotel with my friends on Friday and we had dinner went out to a pub for drinks and then the next morning had breakfast and went off for coffee. Throughout the whole time away with my mates I only got one episode of anxiety, went I was having coffee sitting down in a shopping centre with my friend. I think it was the massive large area that freaked me out

irishman7
16-08-21, 20:34
Neurons depolarise ('fire') when their internal voltage climbs from a resting potential of around -70mV to about +40mV relative to the external volts. Drugs like the BZDs and pregabalin make this harder to achieve which slows down the firing rate and we experience this as sedation.

Ah I understand now! :) thanks very much as always for your reply I always learn from you :)

panic_down_under
17-08-21, 10:13
I was given 2 weeks supply of Xanax couple of years ago when I was starting lexapro, ooh my the euphoria was unbelievable it really was brilliant! I remember thinking that is what life should be like the whole time just pure relaxed and happy.

Which would be okay if BZDs didn't make anxiety disorders (also depression) worse by nuking the same hippocampal brain cells as stress hormones do (so do alcohol and THC in cannabis). The occasional BZD to ease breakthrough anxiety shouldn't be a problem, but they are not good primary anti anxiety meds.

I always learn from you

Er...um...you did buy the super deluxe NMP support plan which includes a couple of hours of tuition, didn't you? :winks:

Scissel
17-08-21, 14:41
Er...um...you did buy the super deluxe NMP support plan which includes a couple of hours of tuition, didn't you? :winks:Ugh ... unfortunately, I didn't have enough coin at the time for the "super deluxe", so I snagged up the "econo promotional limited" NMP support package (and get this ... it was 40% discount get it while it lasts), which included only a battery helmet (refurbished) that zapps away panic and a lifetime supply of prune juice. I'm cheap and a penny saved is a penny earned - now that is advice to take to the bank! :roflmao:

panic_down_under
18-08-21, 12:13
which included only a battery helmet (refurbished) that zapps away panic and a lifetime supply of prune juice.

Oh, no one's told you about the prune juice scam the mods are running. :secret: It's very addictive, worse than heroin apparently, and once they got you hooked your wallet is theirs!! The battery helmet isn't to zap away the panic, but to forever erase the first two sentences in this paragraph from your memory! :zipit: hehehe

irishman7
21-08-21, 19:32
Hey Scissel73 and panic_down_under

So for the last week I've been on 75mg spread out three times a day @ 25mg each time. Doing great so far! Back to living life again

I am starting 125mg tomorrow @ 50mg in morning then 25mg in the afternoon followed by 50mg in the evening. Is it good that I am going up slowly and also will there be a noticeable difference
between 75mg and 125mg ?

panic_down_under
22-08-21, 06:29
I am starting 125mg tomorrow @ 50mg in morning then 25mg in the afternoon followed by 50mg in the evening. Is it good that I am going up slowly and also will there be a noticeable difference
between 75mg and 125mg ?

You should notice a difference between 75mg and 125mg. The recommended pregabalin dose range for anxiety is 200-600mg with most taking around 400-450mg, but YMMV.

irishman7
26-08-21, 20:58
You should notice a difference between 75mg and 125mg. The recommended pregabalin dose range for anxiety is 200-600mg with most taking around 400-450mg, but YMMV.

Your right im a good few days on 125mg and I notice a big improvement! I even refereed a football final in my county! im back living a good life again :)

panic_down_under
27-08-21, 03:57
Your right

Rule 1: Ian is always right

Rule 2: For all the times Ian is wrong refer to rule 1! :roflmao:

im a good few days on 125mg and I notice a big improvement! I even refereed a football final in my county! im back living a good life again :)

That's great. Long may it last! :)

Scissel
27-08-21, 18:28
Your right im a good few days on 125mg and I notice a big improvement! I even refereed a football final in my county! im back living a good life again :)
Boomshakalaka :)

irishman7
28-08-21, 21:44
Thanks for the chat and support I really appreciate it, always nice to talk to people with knowledge in this area!

irishman7
02-09-21, 22:06
Quick update guys,

Had my follow up with my GP and I am moving from 175mg to 225mg per day.
She is giving me a prescription for 6 months.

Will I notice a good improvement on the 225mg per day? And should I take this all at once in the morning? She told me to do 75mg 3 times a day

spectrum123
02-09-21, 22:38
I take mine twice a day 7.30am and 7.30pm, if you take it all at once you'll find it will run out before the end of the day. I take 225mg twice a day. That's assuming you are on 'normal' pregablin, it might be different if it's an extended release version, I don't know if they do and XR version.

panic_down_under
03-09-21, 00:12
Will I notice a good improvement on the 225mg per day?

It should be more effective than 150mg, but how much depends on individual biology.

And should I take this all at once in the morning? She told me to do 75mg 3 times a day

As spectrum123 has posted, immediate-release pregabalin needs to be taken several times a day. It has a short half-life, around 6 hours. The pregabalin CR controlled/slow-release version only needs to be taken once per day, but I'd still opt for taking half the dose twice a day to ensure plasma levels remain level.

irishman7
07-09-21, 17:38
It should be more effective than 150mg, but how much depends on individual biology.

As spectrum123 has posted, immediate-release pregabalin needs to be taken several times a day. It has a short half-life, around 6 hours. The pregabalin CR controlled/slow-release version only needs to be taken once per day, but I'd still opt for taking half the dose twice a day to ensure plasma levels remain level.

This morning I had a panic attack unfortunately. Was on a business call and just before it was my time to speak my heart went 90! I was walking around the room trying to calm down, I was going to leave the call and pretend my broadband went down. I managed to go on the call and talk normally luckily enough.
So my question is, I'm taking 75mg three times a day, im thinking now that this isn't enough. Should I take two 75's in the morning (150mg) and then take the last 75mg in the evening around 6pm?

I wonder is it that when I take 75mg on its own in the morning that's not a high enough amount to combat the anxiety maybe I should even take 225mg all at one go in the morning and then after 6 hours it will halve to 112.5mg maybe that would be a nice amount to work with in my body?

spectrum123
07-09-21, 19:49
I very much doubt there's a pill out there that will stop you ever having a panic attack.

If it's not working then fiddling around when you take the dose won't make any difference. Speak to your doctor, you can go up to 300mg twice a day. Like I said I'm on 225mg twice a day. I started on 75mg twice a day and went up every 2 weeks adding 75mg to morning and evening dose, settling 225mg. I get prescribed 150mg and 75mg tablets, this let's me go up to 300 should I feel I need to, likewise I could drop down and see how that goes, it's up to me.

I'm also doing a course of CBT again (I had numerous rounds and it's never worked, but I never turn down any extra help offered, you never know it might work).