PDA

View Full Version : Cut finger in ocean

Matthew1233
09-08-21, 16:45
Was out paddlebording and cut my finger on a rock under the water. It only bled slightly and I guess it was cleaned with the salt water from the ocean. To me it just seems lit a normal cut but shoild I be worried about weils disease or something. Doesn't look infected.

Update: read about something called vibro and now worried

Bit worried

Pamplemousse
09-08-21, 17:58
Firstly, you mean 'vibrio', not vibro. Secondly, do you have a compromised immune system? Thirdly, did this occur in the UK, where it is almost unknown?

The number of times I cut myself on shells (and broken glass) as a kid when I was at the seaside... no, I don't think you have anything to worry about but as ever, keep an eye on the wound.

Matthew1233
09-08-21, 20:26
Firstly, you mean 'vibrio', not vibro. Secondly, do you have a compromised immune system? Thirdly, did this occur in the UK, where it is almost unknown?

The number of times I cut myself on shells (and broken glass) as a kid when I was at the seaside... no, I don't think you have anything to worry about but as ever, keep an eye on the wound.

Well it was in Ireland but close enough and know I don't have a compromised immune system

Pamplemousse
09-08-21, 21:06
I think you'll be fine.

From what I've read, the vibrio bacteria like warmer waters than we have around our coastline. Keep an eye open, but I really doubt anything will come of it.

NoraB
10-08-21, 07:43
Was out paddlebording and cut my finger on a rock under the water. It only bled slightly and I guess it was cleaned with the salt water from the ocean. To me it just seems lit a normal cut but shoild I be worried about weils disease or something. Doesn't look infected.

Update: read about something called vibro and now worried

Bit worried

Reality: A small cut in salt water. Salt water is naturally antiseptic. There are no immunocompromising issues. This will heal up nicely.

HA: You Googled (which is akin to self-harm with HA) most likely misunderstanding what you've read - and now your HA mind is telling you all kinds of lies..