PDA

View Full Version : Spilled weed killer on the wooden floor in my lounge.

Nighttime pacer
14-08-21, 20:56
Hi all,
I’ve been trying to stay away from this forum and do something more positive to deal with my health anxiety. I’m about to start CBT and have also referred myself to the local NHS mental health services.
Today something happened which has freaked me so much I can’t cope.
I was getting something out of a cupboard in my lounge today and knocked over some weed killer spray which was in there and must have had a faulty lid. The weed killer started to leak onto the wood flooring in my lounge. I got a small amount on my finger and so immediately washed my hands. I then put on gloves and got some paper towels to soak it up and threw it all into a bin liner so I can dispose of it. I’m now really concerned that the small amount which has soaked into the floor will be poisoning the air and be really dangerous. I can’t wash the floor as it has an oiled finish rather than varnish.
I even made a private online GP appointment because I was so concerned about it. Obviously it’s not the GP’s area of expertise but she wasn’t worried about it.
I’ve read online that weed killers can hang around for years! I also read about it possibly causing cancer. I’m really scared now.
Sorry got the long post and for posting at all as I’ve being trying to be strong and avoid coming on here.
Nighttime pacer

Pamplemousse
14-08-21, 23:00
What was the weedkiller concerned?

Even glyphosate, which is pretty nasty to plant life, is only suspected to be carcinogenic.

Nighttime pacer
15-08-21, 00:23
Hi Pamplemousse, Thanks for replying to my thread. The weed killer is called pest control and has glyphosate in it at 6g per L.
I’ve since spoken to NHS 111 and a doctor phoned me and asked for the name of the weed killer and said that there’s not even a concern below a certain amount of ml even if you were to drink it! He basically told me I have nothing at all to worry about. I had already bought some treatex hard wax flooring sealant to use on my floor just hadn’t got round to it yet. I might just do that little bit tomorrow as then it’ll shut my brain up. Considering it’ll only be a 5 min job I think it’s worth it.
Thanks again for replying.

Nighttime pacer
15-08-21, 13:36
Hi all, I’m so annoyed with myself that I’m still worried about this. I know the Dr said I’ve got nothing to worry about but I still am. I’m hoping it’s not too long till I get the appointment to start CBT therapy as I feel like it should help as long as I work at it. I have got some hard wax oil to paint on the floor as it needs treating anyway and I know that will seal the floor and stop me worrying about it.

Pamplemousse
15-08-21, 14:30
You have my sympathy, Nightime pacer. I've just cleaned up an electrical part in my mother-in-law's sewing machine that went 'pop', and now I've been going all over the Internet to see if this residue is toxic in any way because I got a little bit on my hand...

Regarding your forthcoming CBT: I was assessed last week and I explicitly said I don't want CBT as I don't think it works for me - but one thing that was new to me was the HAI-18 questionnaire, specifically aimed at HA.

One of the questions struck me as relevant to how you feel now:

8. a.) I am lastingly relieved if my doctor tells me there is nothing wrong.
b.) I am initially relieved but the worries sometimes return later.
c.) I am initially relieved but the worries always return later.
d.) I am not relieved if my doctor tells me there is nothing wrong.

Sound familiar? I answered (b) to that one.

Nighttime pacer
15-08-21, 14:45
Hey Pamplemousse, I had an NHS assessment for health anxiety recently and that question came up. I didn’t think much of it at the time but now realise that one sentence and my reply (b same as yours) is what’s been ruling my life for years.

Pamplemousse
15-08-21, 15:40
Hey Pamplemousse, I had an NHS assessment for health anxiety recently and that question came up. I didn’t think much of it at the time but now realise that one sentence and my reply (b same as yours) is what’s been ruling my life for years.

As long as it hasn't been for the 45+ years it has ruled mine - I sometimes wonder what would happen to me if I wasn't in a constant state of worry? In all the years I've had assessments for CBT, this is the first time that questionnaire was used on me.

Good luck with your CBT, Nighttime pacer - I sincerely hope it helps you overcome this disease.

Nighttime pacer
15-08-21, 22:12
Hi Pamplemousse,
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been suffering from HA for 45+ years. Mine’s been going for about 15 years now but having had loads of unsuccessful talking therapy I’m determined to give it a good go and if not totally beat this then at least hopefully get it down to a manageable level.
Even now, having sealed my floor with an oil & wax finish which is pretty watertight, which at least mentally means nothing can be off gassing, I’m still wondering if I’ll definitely be alright. Health anxiety is a nightmare but hopefully I’ll crack it.

pulisa
16-08-21, 08:26
You have my sympathy, Nightime pacer. I've just cleaned up an electrical part in my mother-in-law's sewing machine that went 'pop', and now I've been going all over the Internet to see if this residue is toxic in any way because I got a little bit on my hand...

Regarding your forthcoming CBT: I was assessed last week and I explicitly said I don't want CBT as I don't think it works for me - but one thing that was new to me was the HAI-18 questionnaire, specifically aimed at HA.

One of the questions struck me as relevant to how you feel now:

Sound familiar? I answered (b) to that one.

I would have thought that (c) would be the choice of many on the HA board though?

Nighttime pacer
16-08-21, 12:08
Hi Pulisa, I’ve now realised I read the question too quickly and yes I think you’re right, C would be the answer many on here, including me, would pick.

Pamplemousse
16-08-21, 13:20
Hi Pamplemousse,
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been suffering from HA for 45+ years. Mine’s been going for about 15 years now but having had loads of unsuccessful talking therapy I’m determined to give it a good go and if not totally beat this then at least hopefully get it down to a manageable level.
Even now, having sealed my floor with an oil & wax finish which is pretty watertight, which at least mentally means nothing can be off gassing, I’m still wondering if I’ll definitely be alright. Health anxiety is a nightmare but hopefully I’ll crack it.

Here's hoping you do :)

By the way - I just looked up "decomposition of glyphosate" on the Internet, and spotted this on WebMD:

"In 2020, the EPA released a statement that glyphosate does not pose a risk to humans as long as it is used according to directions. They also stated that it is unlikely that it causes cancer in humans."

pulisa
16-08-21, 13:46
But why not accept NHS 111's assessment of no risk instead of looking online and finding a statement which is not definitive? "Unlikely" means doubt and uncertainty with HA.

Pamplemousse
16-08-21, 15:34
But why not accept NHS 111's assessment of no risk instead of looking online and finding a statement which is not definitive? "Unlikely" means doubt and uncertainty with HA.

I discussed this with a friend yesterday, who was categorically told he did not have a hernia.

In fact he had two.

The thing is P, the perceived risk that glyphosate presents to humans has been steadily diminishing in the last decade with better research.

pulisa
16-08-21, 17:48
You will always come across examples of misdiagnoses though. That doesn't help your HA.

Nighttime pacer
18-08-21, 08:47
Hi Pulisa and Pamplemousse,
Thanks so much for your comments. I’m still worrying about this but as with my other anxieties in the past I’m sure it will gradually cease to be a worry. I have realised anyway that if the weedkiller I had was really as dangerous as my brain thinks it is then it wouldn’t be available to buy in so many ordinary shops. I guess like so many things which are potentially carcinogenic it’s rarely about a one off exposure but about repeated chronic exposure over months or years which causes the problem.
I’m starting CBT therapy next week which I’m really looking forward to and feeling quite positive about. Everything I’ve read about it seems to suggest it should help me more than the normal talking therapy and counselling I’ve had before did. In the meantime I just need to realise with the weedkiller worry, no amount of anxiety or panic can turn the clock back. I spilled it, then cleaned it up and then painted over where it had spilt with an oil & wax which will seal the wood. That’s as much as is possible to do without replacing the floor!