PDA

View Full Version : covid comes again..

mez
19-08-21, 04:17
I'm back 🙈 and so it seems is Covid. My inlaws are awaiting pcr results but it seems likely they'll be positive as both had positve lft's and have very covid specific symptoms (taste/smell etc). They'd had colds for a few days but didn't think anything of it, so carried on with childcare. Then came the loss of taste and smell, and subsequet tests. My little girl was there for 2 days during this and has now woken up with a high temperature, headache and sore throat :(
Me and my husband had covid in early March this year, my little girl showed no symptoms but we assumed she'd had it asymptomatically at the same time as I was pretty much sharing a bed with her at the time. I've not yet been jabbed (not antivax, just dealing with a lot of irrational anxiety issues around it, but fully intend to overcome them). I had an antibody test at the end of May as part of a study which showed positive for antibodies. Needless to say I'm pretty scared of getting it again.
Not sure what the point of my post is really. Just to vent. The guidelines here at the moment are that under 18s don't need to self isolate after being a close contact of someone, and to have a PCR test on day 2 and 8 after contact, which I took her for yesterday. She wasn't symptomatic then so not sure whether it'd show anything up?

pulisa
19-08-21, 07:50
I don't think Covid ever went away, mez. I'm so sorry you are now under the cosh again and all you can do is keep your little girl isolated because it's highly likely she has covid.
I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine bar the usual feeling under the weather symptoms but you're now dealing with delta so should be very careful yourself as you haven't been vaccinated yet.

I wish I could say that you aren't at risk of catching it again but delta is a law unto itself. I'm sure your antibodies will help will help but what can you do when your little one is ill other than look after her..

elizabethalice
19-08-21, 08:34
Hello Mez,

So sorry to hear about this. I'm sure your daughter will be fine, and you and your husband do already have some antibodies so even if you get it it should be mild.

I think you saw my thread last week - I was on holiday with my friend for the 3 days and on the morning of her testing positive. I tested negative throughout my 10 days of isolation. I had had one jab too but I think my natural antibodies definitely helped.

If your daughters PCR is negative I'd probably get her to do another now she has symptoms. If she has symptoms and she is postive it should show up on LFTs too (although these aren't reliable at all!).

And if she is postive, all you can do is isolate from her as much as possible (I know it's not completely possible and you'll need to look after her!), wear a mask when you need to, keep washing your hands, and isolate as a family. You might not catch it, you might catch it and be asymptomatic, or you might catch it and just have mild symptoms. I'm sure it'll be one of those three.

Keep us posted!

mez
19-08-21, 08:54
thankyou- she's only 5 so I'm a bit worried they didn't get a decent swab of her as she wasn't best pleased having it done. I will attempt a lateral flow though if the PCR is negative.
It's odd- I've had a really itchy/sneezy nose and general feeling of bleurgh yesterday and today too.
Luckily (or unluckily?!) my husband works abroad, so he's away til September and it's just me and her. We've cancelled all plans for the week and weekend and have nothing on til I'm supposed to be at work on Tuesday by which time I hope we have some test results and things are a bit clearer

elizabethalice
19-08-21, 11:05
Aww that's tough if shes only 5. Do you have the new LFTs where you only need to test each nostril? Might be worth doing one of those if so.

With you it could be covid or it easily could be just feeling blergh from the situation - either way I'm sure if you do get covid it'll be mild. I know the "here we go again" feeling though, it's not nice! But you've already had it once, you'll be able to deal with it again if it does happen.

That's good your husband isn't at risk of getting it although I hope you'll be ok at home. Have you got enough food/ are you able to get some dropped off? Keep us posted on how you are.

pulisa
19-08-21, 13:19
Yes please keep us posted, mez..I hope your in- laws are ok? Waiting for test results and wondering about possible symptoms is very stressful..but you've done all this before and there's nothing you can do other than shut up shop and look after yourselves.

mez
19-08-21, 19:08
I've just had the result through for my daughter's PCR test and it was surprisingly negative- I'd also managed to get her to let me swab her nose for a lateral flow earlier and that was negative too. She's still quite poorly and has been sleeping on and off and very feverish all day with headaches and dizziness and hasn't wanted to eat at all. I've just checked her tonsils and they're absolutely massive and bright red, so it looks like a really badly timed case of tonsilitis or something 😞

Lencoboy
19-08-21, 20:32
I've just had the result through for my daughter's PCR test and it was surprisingly negative- I'd also managed to get her to let me swab her nose for a lateral flow earlier and that was negative too. She's still quite poorly and has been sleeping on and off and very feverish all day with headaches and dizziness and hasn't wanted to eat at all. I've just checked her tonsils and they're absolutely massive and bright red, so it looks like a really badly timed case of tonsilitis or something 😞

Reassuring to hear that both you and your daughter have tested negative so far Mez, it must be a great relief to you both.

NoraB
20-08-21, 08:13
Saw the thread title, now I keep hearing Dolly Parton singing 'Covid Comes Again'.

Welcome to my mind...

mez
20-08-21, 09:19
Saw the thread title, now I keep hearing Dolly Parton singing 'Covid Comes Again'.

Welcome to my mind...

Aaaaand now it's stuck in my head too 🤣

Fishmanpa
20-08-21, 13:04

Welcome to my mind...
Speaking of Dolly.... There's some really good song parodies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFI6MR8DYec) out there out there :roflmao:

One More (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZvkZ14_HA0)... this guy is great!

FMP

pulisa
20-08-21, 13:30
Aaaaand now it's stuck in my head too 藍

Hope it's just on a 9 to 5 basis?:D

Jamess87
20-08-21, 13:38
Reassuring to hear that both you and your daughter have tested negative so far Mez, it must be a great relief to you both.
Happy for you. don't worry and be strong. Here something for motivation5412:emot-pray: (https://upgrademystatus.com)

mez
20-08-21, 15:29
my daughter is completely back to herself today, it's amazing how quickly kids bounce back from being little shivering balls of illness one day, to running round the house dancing the next day!
We're both still negative on the lateral flow tests too so we're just going to go about our business this weekend. It was only her that came into contact with the positive case, so she doesn't have to self isolate in theory.
They're vaccinating in our local doctor's surgery tomorrow, and I've decided to go. Not much time to think about it on a 1 minute drive to the surgery (it's forecast heavy rain, I'm not lazy!), rather than the 60 minute drive I'd have to do otherwise.

pulisa
20-08-21, 17:54
Well done, mez. It's a sensible move.

Very glad to hear about your little girl's return to full health!

mez
20-08-21, 18:24
Well done, mez. It's a sensible move.

Very glad to hear about your little girl's return to full health!

Thankyou. It's my mission to stay away from google tonight 😅 I've planned to go and stay at my mum's for the night as well (provided both our lateral flows are negative again) as hopefully the company of other adults will help keep my mind off 'symptoms' after.

elizabethalice
20-08-21, 23:10
Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok Mez and that's great news that you've decided to get your vaccine! You can do it!

How are your inlaws?

mez
21-08-21, 00:04
Glad to hear you and your daughter are ok Mez and that's great news that you've decided to get your vaccine! You can do it!

How are your inlaws?

They're fine thankyou- they both have 'colds' but thankfully it's got no worse. They are jabbed though. Infact, they've got off a lot easier than my husband did with covid. It's sort of sealed it for me that these vaccines are working (of course I knew they were anyway, but first hand evidence is always more persuasive!) we live out in the sticks a bit so I know I'm guilty of being quite insular about things. I'm currently watching the 'ambulance' programme on Iplayer and I realise how lightly we got away with it.
I know I'll be worried after getting it tomorrow, but I'm going to do it. Look out for my thread tomorrow 'Help! I've had it! Aaaargh!' 🤣

pulisa
21-08-21, 08:33
Anyone who doubts how serious Covid is should watch that "Ambulance" programme. Mind you they would probably say that it was fake and completely scripted by actors, I suppose?

Good luck, mez! Go and get jabbed if you can..x

Lencoboy
21-08-21, 08:55
Anyone who doubts how serious Covid is should watch that "Ambulance" programme. Mind you they would probably say that it was fake and completely scripted by actors, I suppose?

Wouldn't surprise me, with the 'know-it-all' culture we now sadly live in, where people easily play the 'fake' card if things don't quite live up to their own personal agendas, Covid-related or not.

Really makes a mockery of things that are genuinely fake, a typical 'cry wolf' scenario!

BTW, Mez, I'm dead pleased to know your daughter is now on the mend.

mez
21-08-21, 09:46
I'm getting ready to go... my heart is racing though. I hope I have no immediate effects as I need to drive over to my mum's 🙈
I'm actually taking my daughter with me (we're both negative again this morning), mainly because I have no one to mind her for a few minutes nearby, and because if nothing else she'll be a distraction!

mez
21-08-21, 11:01
I've been. I'm jabbed. It was like a military operation, so no time to think or waver at all. My daughter was being whingy which weirdly helped, as I had that to try and deal with! Obviously sat here wondering when symptoms are going to kick in. Hoping I won't feel like I've been hit by a tonne of bricks. Pub meal out tonight and a glass of wine if I feel up to it though. Something to focus on.

pulisa
21-08-21, 19:26
Really well done!! Just keep busy now and try not to dwell on the "what if's"? Enjoy your pub meal!

Catkins
21-08-21, 21:12
Well done mez!

mez
21-08-21, 21:22
11 hours in..bit of a sore arm but ok otherwise so far. Not sure when everything else is supposed to kick in? I've had a lovely meal and a couple of glasses of wine and contemplating a white chocolate and whiskey bread and butter pudding. All good so far!

Fishmanpa
21-08-21, 21:42
Good job Mez!

FMP

elizabethalice
22-08-21, 08:35
Well done Mez! You might find no side effects kick in, many people don't get any! Let us know how you feel today

mez
22-08-21, 17:56
Happy to report no side effects appart from a sore arm! Infact, I did a 10 mile walk today. Looking forward to a goid nights sleep tonight!

pulisa
22-08-21, 18:04
The truth is that for many people the most "dramatic" side effect is a sore arm for a brief period but this doesn't really go down too well with the antivaxxers and alarmists.

A 10 mile walk is no mean feat so I hope you manage to sleep soundly tonight!

mez
22-08-21, 18:38
The truth is that for many people the most "dramatic" side effect is a sore arm for a brief period but this doesn't really go down too well with the antivaxxers and alarmists.

I was so convinced I'd be one of the people in bed for days as I ticked every single box for people who tend to have a worse reaction 😣 But so far I'm fine. I say fine, my legs are in agony and I'm shattered but I can't blame any of that on the jab- I've not walked that far in one go in years!🤣

Lencoboy
22-08-21, 19:27

Yes, the antivaxxers, alarmists and non-believers will sadly go to great lengths to scapegoat, shun and blatantly discredit the jabs in order to satisfy their own (often-warped) agendas, even discouraging others' uptake because they believe they're useless for the sake of a tiny minority of failures.

In fact, some of the Covid-related videos (especially with some kind of antivaxx agenda) people post on YouTube are absolutely disgusting.

Shame on them!

Nevertheless, it's nice to know that Mez is still OK.

mez
22-08-21, 21:18
Somebody else that I saw last night has tested positive on a lateral flow now too- again, the same with cold symptoms but they were testing daily since the cold symptoms started and it's only now showing up as positive. I wasn't close enough to them or for any length of time to need to self isolate, but it's going to be so hard to differentiate between colds and the new mild covid people are getting now this winter. I had that awful chesty bug thing that seemed to circulate the Dec/Jan before covid, and thought nothing of popping a couple of paracetamol for the aches and going to work (and to the toilet every so often to cough my guts up and blow my nose). How life has changed!
It really feels like this is becoming one of those things that'll just keep circulating now that more and more people have antibodies.