PDA

View Full Version : Will the way my mind thinks about things go back to how it was?

ccake79
21-08-21, 14:49
I have health anxiety (mostly with my kids' health rather than my own). I didn't used to. Stuff that really bothers me now (asbestos, germs everywhere) never used to bother me. I remember how I used to feel about these things but however much I try, I don't seem to get able to think the way I used to. I know my thoughts are irrational and that helps, but I wonder if anyone's experienced their thoughts reverting back to being instantaneously rational rather than the whole heart thud, must be a brain tumour when my kid's got a headache?

I know we're all shaped by our experiences and mine over the past few years have included my dad passing away from a rare cancer and myself having pre-eclampsia twice. I've also worked as a therapeutic radiographer for over a decade and I think that had really started to get to me (luckily I'm now working from home and don't see any cancer patients in person any more, although I did use to love my job). I just SO want to think about things in the way I used to. I'm having counselling and taking medication, but will it always be like this? It feels like a constant battle with my thoughts right now.

AntsyVee
21-08-21, 20:30
Has your counselor assessed you for OCD?

ccake79
22-08-21, 08:31
No not really. We started discussing my health anxiety and I have gone on to talk about my hand washing and fears over germs, but not in any great detail.

AntsyVee
22-08-21, 17:26
The thing is, for most of us, we are born with a propensity to have anxiety. Then eventually a build-up of stress or a traumatic experience triggers that anxiety to kick in. It usually is not "cured" in the fact that it will completely go away. But it is manageable with therapy, medication, mindfullness, exercise, diet, etc. Stressful events, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc. will always cause it to act up, so it's really about learning to manage through the mountains and valleys.

Kuraimoar
23-08-21, 00:36
I have wondered this myself. I used to be so carefree about everything. I remember one example like 8 years ago I had a pretty nasty cold so I took a couple sudafed after drinking 2 redbulls at work that day. My heart was beating out if my chest and I just laughed about it and was like "well I probably shouldn't do that again "
Now if my heartrate is even a little elevated I get freaked out. I don't think the damage can be undone for me but trusting my doctor and trying to rationalize situations definitely helps.

glassgirlw
23-08-21, 00:51
I have wondered this myself. I used to be so carefree about everything. I remember one example like 8 years ago I had a pretty nasty cold so I took a couple sudafed after drinking 2 redbulls at work that day. My heart was beating out if my chest and I just laughed about it and was like "well I probably shouldn't do that again "
Now if my heartrate is even a little elevated I get freaked out. I don't think the damage can be undone for me but trusting my doctor and trying to rationalize situations definitely helps.

I can for sure relate to that. There’s so many things I used to do that looking back on them now, literally gives me anxiety to think about. Granted, most of those things are completely unhealthy or even borderline dangerous, so it’s not the worst thing in the world. But I think the number one “anxiety” issue that I wish I could overcome is the heart rate anxiety. Nothing bothers me more. And most times the heart rate isn’t truly that high, but it’s outside of what I consider my “norm”, so it’s tough for me to just go on and forget about it. But I just keep trying. Guess that’s all we can do! Normalize it and eventually (hopefully) it won’t induce those panic type reactions.

Kuraimoar
23-08-21, 18:41
I'm the same. I have a smart watch the records my heart rate and if I check it and it's in the high 80s or low 90s while sitting on the couch I freak out. I had an ekg done last year and my doctor told me everything was perfect and I had nothing to worry about with my heart. Sometimes I do great and other times I have an off day and question if something could have changed. Feel free to pm me if you ever want to talk anxiety without making a new forum. I hope you're doing well today!

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-21, 06:50
The thing is, for most of us, we are born with a propensity to have anxiety. Then eventually a build-up of stress or a traumatic experience triggers that anxiety to kick in. It usually is not "cured" in the fact that it will completely go away. But it is manageable with therapy, medication, mindfullness, exercise, diet, etc. Stressful events, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc. will always cause it to act up, so it's really about learning to manage through the mountains and valleys.

Isn't it worth noting this splits into two scenarios?

1) it's not gone, you are managing it
2) the same process that turned on that passed on gene has turned it off again

1) isn't back to how it was, not strictly. 2) is.

That doesn't mean you can't be put into the right conditions to flick that gene back to on. And I think even if you are lucky enough to reach 2) it's not that you yourself are the same otherwise all the work you did taught you nothing.