PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Fear!

WorryWendy
23-08-21, 09:16
I've had the following symptoms on and off over the last few weeks and I'm starting to panic that I have pancreatic cancer.

I will start off by saying I was diagnosed with GERD years ago and put on Omeprazole which was a life saver.

This time round I've been on the Omeprazole about 4 weeks and although it's eased some symptoms, I can't see a huge difference.

-Indigestion feeling
-Burping (sometimes with reflux)
-Nausea in morning (has improved since sleeping upright)
-Burning pain under left breast
-Dull ache/Pain in mid upper back - can be relieved with stretching or sitting up but then comes back.
-Watery diarrhea for the last few days.
-Very mild pain upper right abdomen that isn't always there
-Sometimes have trouble swallowing and have episodes when it's like I stop breathing and have to swallow or cough - this has woken me at night too.
-Heart palpitations

I've had a lot of upset recently, wouldn't necessarily say stress, just a family member being unwell which has been upsetting.

But I'm now really worried that this is something awful and I'm going to die.

I've had recent bloods including Thyroid and an ECG and all came back fine.

Does this sound like cancer? Or just a bad flare up of GERD? Could it even be a hernia?

I'm also overweight and sit hunched in front of a laptop all-day for work.

Catkins
23-08-21, 16:46
As you've already been diagnosed with GERD I would say it was that combined with anxiety. Occasionally my stomach flares up and I have to double my lansoprazone for a while. Maybe discuss this with your GP?

Fishmanpa
24-08-21, 12:14
Those are GERD/Reflux symptoms, not heart symptoms. I agree about discussing it with your GP. Maybe a stronger PPI along with diet changes are in order.

FMP

WorryWendy
09-10-21, 22:15
So to update on this, a few symptoms have subsided. However I still have soft stools everyday. And pain kind of to the right of my belly button which also is on the left but less frequently.

I'm also losing weight (something I usually Find really difficult)

Now I'm convinced I've got cancer and it'd spread 😭

Rluvz
10-10-21, 13:57
Based on what you described. Nope. Not cancer.

I’ve been having bloating, nausea after eating, reflux and gas. And all these also makes my mind think i have cancer. But guess what, it subsides. If, it subsides, it is not cancer.

As FMP would say, cancer is not something that goes away. It is constantly there!

Try STOPP

Stop for a second
Take a deep breath
Observe body sensations
Pull back and perceive
Practice what has worked.

Our body works in strange ways. And stomach problems are definitely a big issue for anxiety sufferers. You’re not alone. But never lose hope, never give up. Keep fighting!

Cheers
Exercise will do you good too :) Even just walking 7500 steps a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorryWendy
10-10-21, 22:09
I think I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for the weight loss! I find losing weight really hard but it's dropped off the last few weeks. 9lbs since the end of July.
I feel like I've no appetite. Had one mouthful of dinner tonight and felt sick.
Now just really bloated.

WorryWendy
12-10-21, 13:27
I have spoken to my Dr and have blood tests booked tomorrow.

I asked him if he thought it was "C" and he said it didn't even cross his mind! But everything points to that so is he just reassuring me so I don't spiral?

It settled me for 10 minutes then I've been spiralling again.

I managed to eat some chips last night but by 3am I had stomach cramps and D (sorry TMI) and this morning I woke up really nauseous and vomited (only acid/bile)

I've convinced myself I have advanced cancer and this is it!!

Deb350
13-10-21, 10:11
I have spoken to my Dr and have blood tests booked tomorrow.

I asked him if he thought it was "C" and he said it didn't even cross his mind! But everything points to that so is he just reassuring me so I don't spiral?

It settled me for 10 minutes then I've been spiralling again.

I managed to eat some chips last night but by 3am I had stomach cramps and D (sorry TMI) and this morning I woke up really nauseous and vomited (only acid/bile)

I've convinced myself I have advanced cancer and this is it!!

I know how short lived the reassurance can be! Loose stools can be caused by so many different things. I wish I could take my own advice when I say don’t worry! Anxiety plays absolute havoc with the digestive system.

WorryWendy
13-10-21, 13:54
It's the weight loss that's got me! It's dropping off which is unheard of for me!

Nurse weighed me this morning and I'd lost another 6lb since Saturday. I'm really hoping it's just because it's between 2 different scales. Not sure I can face weighing myself anymore

Deb350
13-10-21, 15:49
Scales can vary quite a lot and you’ve probably lost some weight getting yourself into an anxious state over everything.

WorryWendy
14-10-21, 14:27
Scales can vary quite a lot and you’ve probably lost some weight getting yourself into an anxious state over everything.

That's what I'm trying to tell myself. I woke up today with such bad upper back pain I've convinced myself even more this is the "C"

Still waiting on my test results aswell.

WorryWendy
15-10-21, 12:14
Results are back. Dr says they're satisfactory. I've seen them myself and have noticed my red blood cell count is slightly over the threshold.

I managed to actually eat more yesterday than I have in a while but this morning I just feel sick again.

Dr wants to weigh me again in a few weeks but I'm not convinced there isn't something awful wrong.

Would it even show up in bloods? I'm doubting them so much

Catkins
15-10-21, 16:29
I personally think that your lack of appetite/feeling sick is a symptom of anxiety and that you had felt reassured by the test results (temporarily), which enabled you to relax enough to eat.

I would try and believe your doctor.

WorryWendy
16-10-21, 10:52
I personally think that your lack of appetite/feeling sick is a symptom of anxiety and that you had felt reassured by the test results (temporarily), which enabled you to relax enough to eat.

I would try and believe your doctor.

Yeah usually as soon as I get an all clear, I'm back to normal. But I can't shake this. I genuinely feel unwell like something is really wrong.

I woke up today feeling lightheaded and dizzy. TMI but Went to the toilet and all I passed was a bit of mucus. Never happened to me before.

I've lost 4lbs this week. I'm guessing cos of the lack of food but it's still worrying

Mumbun70
27-10-21, 10:55
Hi, it’s most likely that your anxiety has got you in such a frenzy it’s affected your appetite. Easy for me to say I know.

I’m currently having issues similar to you, consumed with worry about c. It’s really hard when you feel off physically and then get on Google and it all seems to match.

I have read a lot about the strong link between anxiety and stomach problems. I also think that when you worry your physical symptoms are heightened. I know Ive found that myself in the past. It doesn’t stop me worrying, sadly, so I know how you feel.

Do you feel you can talk to your doctor about it?

WorryWendy
12-03-22, 17:40
This has all flared up again and I'm back to being convinced I have some sort of cancer!!

Burning pain under left boob guessing stomach area, also pains around my liver area.

Nausea and/or vomiting every morning.

I'm on Omeprazole but the symptoms are still there AND I'm still losing weight. Not as dramatically but it's definitely becoming more noticeable.

I'm worried the Dr's are missing something and it'll be too late.

WorryWendy
16-03-22, 12:25
Anyone?? I'm spiralling so much.

I rang the Dr's this morning to see when my appointment was as I had a really bad pain in my right abdomen worse than I've ever had and she said I was down as routine for 3-4 weeks??? Routine??? I have pain, no appetite and I'm losing weight!! How is that routine??

I've absolutely convinced myself this is cancer and they're doing f all about it just cos my recent bloods "were okay"

I'm so fed up of it all the health care system is a joke

Catkins
16-03-22, 17:47
Your bloods were OK, which is a good indicator that you haven't got cancer. If they were concerned about cancer they would see you a lot faster. So it's a good sign that they aren't.

What dose of omeprazole are you on? It didn't work as well for me as lansoprazole (they tried to switch me from lanzoprazole to omeprazole and it wasn't effective, so they switched me back).

It could be that your dose isn't right or they need to switch you to lansoprazole.

WorryWendy
16-03-22, 19:20
So they've now got me an out of hours telephone appointment for the weekend. But guess if they were REALLY concerned I'd have been in there tomorrow or Friday.

I'm on 20mg Omeprazole a day. I tried Lansoprazole and it worked for the reflux symptoms but it made me feel so weird and spaced out I had to switch back.

It's just all so frustrating. I've even sat here tonight and bloody compared my previous 3 blood tests from last year and 2019.

No great differences although a few numbers have crept up but I Don't even know if that means anything

BadCompany
13-05-22, 11:44
Any updates?
Thanks

silver_shoes
20-05-22, 22:36
Hi there sorry I know this is an old thread but I’m just curious as to how things have worked out for you?