PDA

View Full Version : US Food and Drug Association approves Pfizer

NancyW
23-08-21, 21:20
Will FDA approval make a difference?

I'm expecting a slew of mandates and some very angry people. They will be faced with complying or losing their job.

glassgirlw
23-08-21, 21:23
And I fully expect many of the people that have refused the shot so far due to it not being fully approved, to now find another reason to decline the shot. It’s so unfortunate.

.Poppy.
23-08-21, 21:35
Exactly. It's not about FDA approval, really. They'll just say that the approval was rushed or cooked up, or find a different excuse entirely.

NancyW
23-08-21, 21:36
If their employer mandates I'm not sure how that's going to go.

glassgirlw
23-08-21, 22:50
I don’t know, it will be very interesting to see. I don’t see how it could possibly be any different than employers that require flu shots and such. If you don’t want it, find a new job.

that said I know there are a slim few that can’t have it for medical reasons. So in that situation I could see a legal case being made for discrimination. Only time will tell.

I very much hope that some of the people refusing so far since it wasn’t fully approved, will now consent to getting it. Just not sure how big that percentage of the population will be.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-21, 06:43
Better late than never I suppose :huh:

Lencoboy
24-08-21, 07:23
Exactly. It's not about FDA approval, really. They'll just say that the approval was rushed or cooked up, or find a different excuse entirely.

Yeah, the serial 'know-it-all' types!

pulisa
24-08-21, 07:47
Better late than never I suppose :huh:

I had no idea that this vaccine wasn't "officially" approved...

Pamplemousse
24-08-21, 08:00
I had no idea that this vaccine wasn't "officially" approved...

Only approved for emergency use.

Still, now you've got to get people to take it - and from what I can see across the US and the UK, all those who want to be vaccinated will now have been, leaving just those who can't/won't.

Pamplemousse
24-08-21, 08:02
I don’t know, it will be very interesting to see. I don’t see how it could possibly be any different than employers that require flu shots and such. If you don’t want it, find a new job.

that said I know there are a slim few that can’t have it for medical reasons. So in that situation I could see a legal case being made for discrimination. Only time will tell.

I very much hope that some of the people refusing so far since it wasn’t fully approved, will now consent to getting it. Just not sure how big that percentage of the population will be.

You can guarantee that here in the UK, any attempt to make vaccination mandatory will be fiercely resisted. It's a big civil liberties issue.

glassgirlw
24-08-21, 11:55
You can guarantee that here in the UK, any attempt to make vaccination mandatory will be fiercely resisted. It's a big civil liberties issue.

Oh it for sure is the same over here, PM. Anything regarding mandates of any kind, even something so small as wearing a mask, is seen by many as infringing on their personal rights. Such selfish people.

NancyW
24-08-21, 12:21
I had to have proof of vacation for my kids to go to school.. even to go to boy scout summer camp.

Granted, not to get into a concert or restaurant but if we had 150,000 cases of measles a day in the US, I bet I would.

Lencoboy
24-08-21, 12:34
Oh it for sure is the same over here, PM. Anything regarding mandates of any kind, even something so small as wearing a mask, is seen by many as infringing on their personal rights. Such selfish people.

Perhaps such selfish vaccine refuseniks and Covid non-believers on both sides of the Atlantic who are playing the 'human rights' card should take a look at what's happening in Afghanistan right now, and see what real 'dictatorship' is.

glassgirlw
24-08-21, 13:28
Perhaps such selfish vaccine refuseniks and Covid non-believers on both sides of the Atlantic who are playing the 'human rights' card should take a look at what's happening in Afghanistan right now, and see what real 'dictatorship' is.

Unfortunately these types of people seem to be inherently selfish, Lenco. They struggle to see past the end of their own nose.

pulisa
24-08-21, 13:35
Unfortunately these types of people seem to be inherently selfish, Lenco. They struggle to see past the end of their own nose.

Yet they would be the first to beg for a ventilator if they got Covid badly.

Lencoboy
24-08-21, 13:44

And then say it's not their fault that they caught Covid!

Pamplemousse
24-08-21, 14:25

I give you Richard Fairbrass, of pop duo Right Said Fred. Downplaying it all now despite spending four days on oxygen in hospital.

Lencoboy
24-08-21, 14:38
I give you Richard Fairbrass, of pop duo Right Said Fred. Downplaying it all now despite spending four days on oxygen in hospital.

Sounds like he has a screw loose.

'I had Covid but I didn't actually have it'!

Well why was he in hospital on a ventilator in the first place then?

Total wally!

.Poppy.
24-08-21, 17:24
It's interesting, I have a Facebook friend of a friend who is about my age (30). He's an antivaxer; big time believer that covid isn't a big deal. He caught covid in early Augus (and his wife still went with their baby on vacation, to a crowded airport and a crowded resort despite him being covid positive) and is now on a ventilator. It's not looking good. I just happened to be aware of it because my friend is sharing his GoFundMe link. :wacko:

I know people who actually can't get it, and they all really want to. I don't have much patience for those who just choose not to anymore. They can make their bed.

Lencoboy
24-08-21, 20:07
It's interesting, I have a Facebook friend of a friend who is about my age (30). He's an antivaxer; big time believer that covid isn't a big deal. He caught covid in early Augus (and his wife still went with their baby on vacation, to a crowded airport and a crowded resort despite him being covid positive) and is now on a ventilator. It's not looking good. I just happened to be aware of it because my friend is sharing his GoFundMe link. :wacko:

I know people who actually can't get it, and they all really want to. I don't have much patience for those who just choose not to anymore. They can make their bed.

Exactly Poppy.

They can own it and face the music and not go crying to you (or me)!

Pamplemousse
25-08-21, 09:49
.Poppy. - is the GoFundMe page to fund his treatment? Surely his health insurance will cover that?

.Poppy.
25-08-21, 16:46
It is for lost money since he can’t work, and for some reason his wife can’t work either?

Insurance should cover in theory but they are starting to move to not cover treatment for people who haven’t been vaccinated. And he may not be insured, I’m not sure. And I think even those with insurance still have a chunk to pay off; insurance is terrible here.

Pamplemousse
25-08-21, 17:22
I'm astonished but not surprised that insurance companies are potentially going to refuse to pay for treatment if you refuse to be vaccinated, although I can imagine a few of the more strident voices in the media and the Senate having something to say about that.

Here in the UK there are those who think NHS treatment should be refused to the obese, smokers and alcohol/drug addicts on the basis that their health problems are "self inflicted".

.Poppy.
25-08-21, 17:48
So I have heard that this isn't really something new - apparently insurance companies can refuse to pay for hospital treatment if someone comes down with pneumonia or something else that is related to the flu if they did not get the flu vaccine. The idea being that it was preventable. Ultimately they just don't want to pay out.

I definitely think it's a slippery slope to go down, and now of course some areas are discussing triage where unvaccinated individuals will be farther down the list for organs or even hospital care if they have Covid. A lot of people find this very unfair, but I was explained that in triage situations it is down to who has the higher chance of survival. I know people who cannot get the vax and I don't think it applies to them, but for people who just straight up don't want to get it, that's on them.

I actually have a friend who can't get the vax, she has tried but has had issues with vaccines in the past and her doctor would require her to sign something in order to get it. She convinced her sister to get vaccinated (thankfully as she works with the elderly) but is absolutely livid because her parents refuse. Her dad is in the military and is considering dropping his benefits and leaving early just so that he doesn't have to get it. This whole thing is just one big mess, honestly.