PDA

View Full Version : Really long story!!! Advice would be welcome.

pidgeraven
14-11-07, 22:48
Hi,

I have been reading some of the concerns that people have on here. It's exactly how I feel. I have been anxious about loads of stuff, but mainly worries about my health. I've had counselling, but it has not worked really. I used to think I had skin cancer, and was so frightened that it took me 6 years to go to the doctor who said I was fine. This all started when I was eight years old, and for no apparent reason, I am lucky enough not to have known anyone be ill but these thoughts just don't go away. After my cancer episode, I thought I had meningitis, other forms of cancer, tumours, etc. Each time I went to the doctors they said I was fine. Now, I am just 23 and convinced I have AIDS. It is constantly in my head and I just work out how many people in the population have it and what my chances are. I have not slept with many people, but it is still possible. I read things in magazines about it, and I can never remember the story as I've got into such a panic thinking 'this is me!' My glands in my armpit have been up for a year or so, the doctor said this was to do with me shaving!!! How can that be so? I'm certain it's something more sinister. However, after worrying about this for so many years I am finally going for a test tomorrow. I am terrified as to what it will say, but I have to face up to it. My doc says it will reassure me, but I'm so scared of it being posative. Its the thought of telling my boyfriend (who thinks I'm crazy to think this way!!) and being on the sidelines of society watching everyone else being 'normal'. I am only young and just want to live my life like all my friends do. Its ruining everything. I wish I could just have a head transplant. Sorry for making this so long!!! :blush:

kazzie
14-11-07, 23:07
Hi There:D

Please stop worrying!!!

Im sure you are fine, I used to have health anxiety and all sorts!!!!

Im sure there is nothing wrong and your test will be clear!!!

Im sure someone will be along soon who can give you more in depth help!!!

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

manmoor
14-11-07, 23:14
Hi Pid,

A big warm welcome to you. I have felt the way you feel hun and believe me it does get better and you have made the right decision joining this site as everyone is so supportive and lovely. xxx

groovygranny
15-11-07, 00:12
Hello pidgeraven:welcome:to you!

The chance of your test being positive are so slim i think would be off the scale!!

Not to sound too flippant, but I think you've just unwittingly identified what those bumps under my arms are that I've noticed lately!!

Please, try not to look too closely at 'normal' people - you must be 'you'. And, not all 'normal' people are the type of persons we should try to aspire to!

You'll find plenty of help and support here - pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

pidgeraven
15-11-07, 00:29
Hello, pleased to meet you all. Thanks for all your kind words. Its made me feel much better about things. At least, if I take the test and its negative I can get on with my life (though will probably come up with something else to worry about!! He he) It's re-assuring to know that there are others who feel or have felt the same as me. Thank you once again. x :)

Lindalou64
15-11-07, 01:15
Hello Pidgeraven And Welcome To The Site......linda

Pink Princess
15-11-07, 08:45
hey xx

http://www.stormymoongraphics.com/caimages/Toodles%20Welcome%20Graphic.gif

take kare xxx

kittykat
15-11-07, 12:22
Hi there,

Welcome to the site, i'm sure the tests will be fine and just talking to people on here will help you a lot xx

Nibbles
15-11-07, 16:02
Hi pidgeraven and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. It sounds like you could be suffering with health anxiety and although the fear is real to you, I'm sure the chancing of you having AIDs are minute.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
15-11-07, 17:03
Hi there

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

honeybee3939
15-11-07, 21:35
Hi Pidgeraven

Just wanted to welcome you to NMP also, its lovely to see you here.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

trac67
18-11-07, 17:58
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xxx

DebsH
18-11-07, 18:55
HI.

If it's any help at the end of a relationship I found out information about my partner that could have led to a higher chance of him being at risk from aids and therefore myself. I went along for a test and was told by my doctor that there was only a slim chance of having it provided you've not slept with someone who is extremely promiscuous or are an intravenous drug user. As soon as you've had the test you will feel so much better so don't put if off and have it done. Most of the time it's the anticipation that causes the worst of the anxiety so make an appointment for this week!

As someone who's new to this site I have already benefited from advice and support from people and I hope that you experience this too.

:)

deb64
18-11-07, 19:02
hi hun i feel just like you i have health anxiety and ive tryed all kinds of help nothing is working but hold on in there because there is one for all of us just takes time to find it xxxx

woodnights
25-11-07, 13:25
h

woodnights
25-11-07, 13:30
hi pidge. pidge like you i have suffere with health worries for the past five years and have been lucky enough to be seeing a reall good pscyhologist.

im no expert pidge but one thing that i will say to everyone is what i have been taught and it does work and its this.

STOP SEEKING REASSURANCE because it only throws petrol on the fire and fuels your worry. you have to accept that nothing in life is guaranteed and that the body is a wonderful piece of equipment and that if there is something wrong with you, you wior body will let you know.

another thing that helps me that iv been taught is this. when you get a worrying thought just say to your self (even out loud if you like) my goodness that was an intrusive thought but im going to move on from it.

and do just that, move on from it. dont try and forget about it because the more we try to forget something the more we tend to think about it.

ill give an example, if i tell you not to think of the colour red, whet do you think about, exactly... the colour red

just say to yourself my goodness that was a intrusive thought and smile

pidgeraven
15-04-08, 20:43
Hello everyone,
Thanks for all your lovely messages. Things have been a lot better lately. Though I'm sure the thoughts will come back again, they always do!!!
But thanks for all your kind words. xxx

Lilith1980
15-04-08, 21:42
Hi Pidgeraven

Welcome to NMP hun :)

Jo xxxxx

Richie
15-04-08, 21:57
Hello there Pidgegraven
It's good to hear that you have been a little better lately.
Welcome to NMP by the way xxxx:welcome: :emot-wave: :emot-wave: :emot-wave:

bluebell68
15-04-08, 22:01
Hi ... :welcome: to NMP....i agree with all of the above... i am sure that your test will be clear...:yesyes: .
What your doc said about the lumps under your arms is true.... i have had this trouble and i was told it can happen from shaving ... also i was advised to stop putting deodourant on the minute i get out of the shower and straight after shaving cos it can clogg the hair follicles and causes little lumps under the skin....i have noticed them come and go but they always go.... they will get bigger the more you prod them tho cos they become inflammed, so try not to do that if you can help it... i also have a gland on the side of my neck that comes up everyime i get a cold or anything and that always goes down too.... thats the trouble with anxiety it makes us fear the worst even when we are assured that its not the case, but anxiety is a bully and it tells us lies , i guess the only secret is not to listen:lac: .. now i just have to learn to ignore it more often myself lol :wacko:
Hang in there, you are not alone
Best wishes

chalky
16-04-08, 15:23
Hi Pidgeraven,

The greatest tool you have in fighting back against the Anxiety is an awareness of your symptoms.You know what triggers your anxious feelings so you can challenge that thinking.Your worries may move to focus your mind on a different health concern but just be ready for that.
Consulting your Doctor about your concerns is a great idea-that is what they are there for.
Keep believing in yourself.
Best wishes,
Chalky

pidgeraven
14-05-08, 13:38
Thank you so much for everyone's posts!
I think its lovely that people actually care and that I'm not alone in my thoughts. I'm doing so much better now. I went to the dr and he explained that my changes are 'miniscule' as my lifestyle is such that I would not really come into contact with such illnesses.
I felt so reassured and although I sometimes get negative thoughts, they do not take over my life any longer.
I reccommend that anyone who get these same thoughts goes for a chat with the dr. It put my mind at rest.
You read things about illnesses and think that your chances of catching/developping things is much higher than it really is. I guess the moral of the story is don't believe everything you read. And don't look up symptoms! Thanks for all the encouraging words. What a great group of people! xxx :yesyes:

Mudskipper
14-05-08, 14:06
A belated welcome from me and just remember that 'normal' is a relative term. None of us know what goes on in the heads of those we look on as 'normal', none of us knows what private battles others are fighting. You are you and what's normal for you is normal.

Take care out there.:)