PDA

View Full Version : Bravery and Fear (Quotes)

Gryphoenix
15-11-07, 01:17
I notice a lot of the times I do well and I don't panic is when I realize that I have two options: panic or no panic, win or lose, victory or failure, and that I'm okay with each of them. I'm not saying that I'm a particuarly brave person by any means, (in fact quite the opposite) but what we are doing with anxiety and panic is facing our fears. It's just that what we fear happens to be things we face much more often and much more easily than what everyone else fears. We may not be mountian climbers, snake handlers, bungee jumpers, skydivers, or Indiana Jones (props to you if you are! :D) but we've experienced the same feelings, maybe even every single day, and are just as brave as the hardiest adventurer. :yesyes:

So here are some quotes that have either helped me or that I really like:

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.--Ambrose Redmoon

The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave. -- James A. Lafond-Lewis

I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. -- Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

Courage is a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it. -- Gen William Tecumseh Sherman

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. --Marie Curie

The psychological condition of fear is divorced from any concrete and true immediate danger. It comes in many forms: unease, worry, anxiety, nervousness, tension, dread, phobia, and so on. This kind of psychological fear is always of something that might happen, not of something that is happening now. --Elkhart Tolle

When you face your fear, most of the time you will discover that it was not really such a big threat after all. We all need some form of deeply rooted, powerful motivation -- it empowers us to overcome obstacles so we can live our dreams. --Les Brown

Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear. --Dale Carnegie

And the best one:
Feel the fear and do it anyway.--Susan Jeffers

Bill
15-11-07, 02:45
Wise people phoenix.....I think you're learning to be one of them!:hugs:

Krakers
15-11-07, 03:13
Hi Gryphoenix - some great quotes there.

I've got a few to share too - strangely enough all from one man, but very insightful. While a couple may not be directly on thread, they're certainly bang on the forum. Have a read and see if you can guess the wiser man than I ......

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

The man whose pearls of wisdom span time, is Albert Einstein. For me, not just a thinker, but someone who makes sense from that in which we can sometimes find no sense.

Krakers.

mico
15-11-07, 22:48
'Ships in harbour are safe, but that's not what ships were built for'

'The best way out it always through'

And my personal favourite, see below. By a woman named Helen Keller, I think.

Gryphoenix
21-11-07, 02:30
:hugs: Bill. :D

Ooh, wow Krakers, that's really great! I had no idea who it was until you said. Really something to think about. Albert Einstein is fascinating.

Mico: That is a really great quote, I've heard variations of it before but not the whole thing. I will have to remember that one. We get so worried about little dangers here and there we forget that life itself is one big danger, might as well let go and enjoy it. :D