PDA

View Full Version : Suspected ear cyst - waiting for doctors appointment

elizabethalice
02-09-21, 16:00
Hello,

I have had this spot like thing on my ear for 6 months now. It looked like a boil at first so I left it, but it hasn't gone away.

It is very small and hasn't grown or changed at all really, it has a small black plug. When I put a hot towel on it it feels a bit looser and softer but then regains its shape.

I know I shouldn't google, but I did and it sounds like it is a cyst, and google said "they are nearly always benign" and also said only to go to the drs if it grows, causes pain or irritance or doesn't go away.

I just contacted the doctor about it as it has been a while now and they will ring me next week. This whole situation has caused me to spiral as talking the doctor is a major trigger for me.

I get very very anxious whenever I have to talk to doctors. Medical problems with my family caused me to develop a huge fear of doctors and I am always convinced they are going to tell me something is seriously wrong.

If anyone can give me some positive thoughts that would be really appreciated. I'm not looking for a diagnosis as I've already spoke to the dr, but if anyone's experienced similar that would be good to hear. I know I'm probably just being silly, but this is such a trigger for my anxiety.

Catkins
02-09-21, 18:31
So I have awful skin, I develop cysts randomly, I have skin tags, for years I've been getting brown crusty things that apparently only old people get (forget the name), I had them in my early thirties onwards, I have millions of moles, I have spots, I have blackheads, have loads of other things too. I sometimes think I look like a dot to dot puzzle.

I'm not an expert but I have had a fair bit of experience with my own skin. To me it sounds like a blocked pore with a blackhead at the entrance. Especially when you said it has a black plug and when you put a hot towel on it gets softer and looser.

Obviously if you feel that you should see your doctor go ahead. Personally if it was me I wouldn't bother. But I'm used to getting lumps and bumps and I have a tendency to leave things unless they become red, inflammed and warm to the touch.

Hope that helps a little bit.

elizabethalice
02-09-21, 22:30
Thankyou for your comment, I really appreciate it and that makes me feel relieved! Is it normal for blocked pores to be like that for 6 months?

It doesnt bother me at all like it's not painful or itchy or anything. I'm happy to leave it as long as I know it's not anything concerning.

I'll do the appointment as I've already booked it but I'll keep what you have said in mind and it should make me less anxious for the next week while I wait for the appointment! Thankyou!