PDA

View Full Version : ALS concerned

Vince
03-09-21, 15:01
having muscle twitches (and sometimes crawling feeling) in both legs, claves, thighs. very random. i notice in my arms sometimes too. been going on for 3 weeks. i noticed after adding running back into my routine.(ive since taken running back out) Googled muscle twitching. The first thing that comes up is ALS. ive been in a panic ever sense and basically have convinced myself i have it. I went to my Dr. he said twitching benign 99% of the time, but wouldnt completly rule out something more sever (like ALS) this did not help. He said he didnt feel the need for me to see a neurologist, but could if i wanted to. The next appt is two months away. Ive read in some cases muscle twitching can be the first sign. im going crazy. does anyone have similar symptoms, or can relate?

Fishmanpa
03-09-21, 15:17
If you read through the threads here, you'll see a very familiar theme. The fact you're posting here indicates you know the real deal. Best to stay off Google and other forums 'Ace'.

FMP

jojo2316
03-09-21, 15:35
Muscle twitching is benign 99% of the time? According to a neurologist I saw, about my own twitching, it is ALWAYS benign if not accompanied by clinical weakness.
But I do relate to the fear. I have it. And it sucks.

Vince
03-09-21, 16:46
searching takes you places, and more places, and more places. and i wish i knew the deal then maybe i wouldnt be losing sleep over it. Alot of conflicting articles etc.. can it start with twitching?? i told myself the other day to stay off google and the internet, but here i am again

Vince
03-09-21, 16:47
what is your twitching like, and how do you fall alseep with them

Fear1
03-09-21, 16:52
My twiching has been non stop for nearly 8 months now pal, anxiety has made my whole body stiff. I done 200 calf raises the other day and now wondering why I cant move my left calf 🤣, sometimes I have big twiches, smalls ones, ones that feel like worms crawling . My neuro said im fine but do I believe him lol nope but hey, HA is so bad for me

Vince
03-09-21, 16:55
are they constant through the day when you are sitting. I notice mine most when im trying to fall alseep which is the worst time. random spots but mostly legs. lasts a second. twitch, or crawl feeling

kyllikki
03-09-21, 21:07
I am noticing a "I randomly exercised and now I am twitching" theme on recent threads...

I took a very long walk recently and when I got back and sat down, guess what happened? My quads, both of them, twitched violently! and continuously.

I timed it. It lasted 5 full minutes. And the next day, my quads felt weak. They weren't actually weak, I could still turn out a bunch of squats and lunges and take stairs two at a time. But they felt shaky, as you'd expect them to after a workout.

Given all the random "testing" we all seem to do because we're all HA sufferers, why couldn't it be the case that "random exercise" + "anxiety focusing our attention" + "a predisposition to twitch" explains all this?

As for the question, how do you sleep if you're twitching...

I find that meditating and consciously drawing my attention to my breath instead of my legs reduces my twitching significantly. the vaso-vagal response you get from deep breathing is also known to calm the central nervous system and "reset" it -- that's why drinking water cures the hiccups, which is just another form of twitching. the vagus nerve, one of your cranial nerves, is one of the longest that exits your brain, so it's like a direct link between your control center and the rest of you.
But isn't that funny how that works (calm = less twitching)? :shades:

best of luck!!

Vince
04-09-21, 20:20
true. i just cant get als out of my head. everytime you search it. twitching comes up. Dr thinks i have an iron deficiency but this is not calming my fears .

Vince
05-09-21, 16:35
Dr thinks i have RLS due to low iron saturation. from my bloodwork done.
twitching legs calves. crawling feeling. cant sleep because of it. any one else ?
i still twitch randomly in other parts of my body. but mostly in the legs and calves.
cant get ALS out of my mind though.

jojo2316
05-09-21, 16:48
I have restless legs and twitching calves. I have often wondered if the two are connected….

Vince
05-09-21, 18:14
have you had you Iron checked?

kyllikki
05-09-21, 19:14
I was just wondering about this today! Interesting... thanks for posting, Vince.

kyllikki
05-09-21, 19:16
I totally hear you. And clearly i am not good at taking my own advice, based on the fact that I am here.

nomorepanic
05-09-21, 19:49
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

jojo2316
05-09-21, 22:10
have you had you Iron checked?

I am a frequent blood donor and a vegetarian. I’m not anaemic (or I wouldn’t be able to donate blood) - but I have been told my “iron stores” are very low…… so yes I guess so. Can that cause twitching?

Vince
05-09-21, 22:53
crawling feeling. twitching. among other things.

Fishmanpa
05-09-21, 23:02
Still not ALS

FMP