PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on two different methods of recovery?

Meggles
15-11-07, 07:27
Hi Guys,

I managed to get a copy of the Linden method from someone and have been reading through it.

I understand that while quite a lot of people here have recovered by using it - there's also a lot who say it's rubbish.

Aside from that.. ignoring the particular method, really... I'm just wondering what your opinions are in regards to 2 different ways of treating anxiety/panic.

1. Do I ignore it, divert my thoughts, don't talk about it, do something else etc like the Linden Method suggests

OR

2. Do I go to a psychologist and talk about it.

They're two opposites... talk about it, don't talk about it.

I'm worried about both. I'm worried that not talking about it won't fix it, it'll just stay in my mind.

But I'm also worried that by talking about it, it will empower the anxiety and remind me of it and keep it going.

Argh!! Help.

Any ideas?? Anyone recovered and with which method?

Lilith1980
15-11-07, 12:00
Personally, I think the "talking about it bit" may focus more on the underlying feelings or your core beliefs that cause you to have anxiety/PAs in the first place.

The "not talking about it" sounds like its about letting anxiety wash over you. Accept that it is there but that it is not real and cannot harm you.

Maybe I have misunderstood but I personally cannot imagine trying to get through this without talking to someone. I dont think there is any reason why you cant do both :)

Ellen70
15-11-07, 19:11
I tried the 'not talking about it' approach for many, many years. No one else knew how much I was suffering.

However the fear/anxiety etc will continue to live within you and for me it was roaring to get out and be dealt with. So now I have a fantastic psychotherapist and am letting all the suffering out. Therapy is as painful as the panic and fear at times but it does feel so good to share your fears with an understanding and kind person.

To me my fears are like a small scared child. You wouldn't leave a frightened child locked in a dark room to suffer so why would you do that to your most sensitive feelings?

Everyone is different but talking it through is for me, even if if makes things worse before they get better.

Ellen

Meggles
16-11-07, 00:52
Thanks for both of your replies.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that clinical psychologists are trained and qualified to do what they do - they're professionals.

I'd rather talk to a professional and try to get help, than listen to some guy who wrote a book.

Granted, he was severely disabled by anxiety and panic, and this was his way of recovering, but I've been trying to just "accept it" and divert myself.. but that works for the minute, then it comes back.

I'm just so full of despair. I'm so terrified this will never go away.