PDA

View Full Version : Felt something sit on my neck, brushed it off but felt it crawl, worried if bat

Sternutation
24-09-21, 23:33
Hello,

This is my first time posting here.

A few days back, I was walking on the street. It was 9:30 AM, and it had recently rained.

While walking, I briefly felt something sit on my neck, that I immeditately brushed off by reflex. It felt at the time to me as if it were some kind of insect. After all, I am in Georgia, and it had rained. Bugs love to come out after rain.

I did not feel any pain, or scratch, nor did I see anything after brushing it off and running a bit ahead.

But I am deeply worried that it may have been a microbat. Like I said, I didnt see anything, so it was most probably a bug/insect of some form.

At the same time, part of me is terrified that it may have been a bat that flew away.

I didnt notice any bites or scars around my neck throughout the day. I was carefully examining my neck, for I was worried.

But in the evening, I noticed a tiny scab. I am around 90% sure that this scab emerged out of me rubbing my neck(as that's what I did through the day while working, examining my neck closely), but what if it is a bat bite?

nomorepanic
25-09-21, 11:51
Nope it wasn't a ninja bat just your imagination working overtime.

Sternutation
26-09-21, 21:11
Nope it wasn't a ninja bat just your imagination working overtime.

Hello Nicola.

First of all, thank you so much for responding to what is but one of many such threads about this topic.

I guess I wouldnt be so worried if there wasnt a scab on my neck that I didnt notice until my evening. As I mentioned, I did spend most of the day rubbing my neck around that area so it is most probable that I broke the skin slightly and that caused the scab to happen.

At the same time, there is always that "what if" voice in my head.

Fishmanpa
26-09-21, 21:16
The "What If" voice is lying to you and you know it ;)

FMP

NoraB
27-09-21, 08:53
At the same time, there is always that "what if" voice in my head.

What if Tom Hardy was to walk into my kitchen in five minutes, starkers?

It's still a 'what if' - and just as likely as you having encountered a Ninja bat - but the stress hormones don't get released, see?

Sternutation
28-09-21, 20:27
Thank you for responding to my messages as well.

I guess the main thing that worries me is the scab- but then, as I mentioned, that scab was likely self-inflicted as a result of rubbing my skin throughout the day.

Sternutation
30-09-21, 00:14
I just had a major anxiety relapse.

This was triggered by the knowledge that an Illinois man got rabies from a bat. He was sleeping and woke up to find a bat on his neck. The bat was later tested positive for rabies. He refused to get the pep treatment for it, and passed away a month later.

I have started to fear my own recollection and memories. What if there was pain and I forgot? What if I saw some wings and my brain filtered it out of my memory? What if I heard something and filtered it out?

Fishmanpa
30-09-21, 02:58
This was triggered by the knowledge that an Illinois man got rabies from a bat. He was sleeping and woke up to find a bat on his neck. The bat was later tested positive for rabies. He refused to get the pep treatment for it, and passed away a month later.

I saw that too and wondered when someone with the Ninja Bat fear would bring it up. Did you also read that the bite woke him up, they captured the bat, tested it, found it was rabid and he refused the vaccine when it was recommended he get it?

There are no such things as Ninja Bats and you would know full well if you encountered a bat and were actually bitten. Your mind is creating impossible scenarios and your anxiety is eating it up.

FMP

Totallyphobic
30-09-21, 21:28
Sternutatutation I read that same article and it has now triggered my anxiety to a degree. I have had this fear for over 40 years and it comes and goes and was made worse in 2001 when I had a bat encounter and yes I got the vaccine. Over the years I have talked to experts and let me tell you a bat that is rabid doesn't move fast or have the ability to swoop down bite you and disappear. Also I was told by an expert at bat conservation if a bat comes into your home they don't just fly out the same way they get lost so you see you would see and know if you encountered a bat.

NoraB
02-10-21, 07:31
I have started to fear my own recollection and memories. What if there was pain and I forgot? What if I saw some wings and my brain filtered it out of my memory? What if I heard something and filtered it out?

I once totally convinced myself I'd run somebody over despite there being no bump and no body..

Never underestimate where the mind will take you..

Inspector javert
05-01-22, 23:49
I once totally convinced myself I'd run somebody over despite there being no bump and no body..

Never underestimate where the mind will take you..

I thought I was the only one with such a fear.