PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Covid? Absolutely terrified.

Pamplemousse
01-10-21, 20:26
This morning I woke up with a sore throat and a 'funny' nose, which in a pre-Covid world I'd have dismissed as the start of a cold. I did a lateral flow test, which came back negative but I'm always concerned that I've done it wrong - the nose is okay (but it usually makes me sneeze) and I tend to gag on the throat swab and I worry that I'll have ruined the test if it touches my tongue. When I got into work my temperature with the thermal camera was 36 degrees, pretty normal for me.

At the moment, I'm trying not to panic - I'm at work and I'd give anything to be magicked away and into my bed.

Having read about how Delta can behave like a bad cold, I remain terrified that if I catch it, it will kill me despite being vaccinated.

I just want to know how I've caught a cold - I wear masks and keep my distance, have I not washed/sanitised my hands enough?

Help me, please...?

pulisa
01-10-21, 20:49
The lateral flow test was negative. Loads of people gag when doing them. It's normal.

Your temperature is normal.

You've gone to work. You must be pretty certain you haven't got Covid.

You may not have anything at all. Any "cold" symptoms could be gone by tomorrow.

Deal with what you've got, PM..Not what you fear? Keep doing the LFTs if you have cold symptoms..That's all you can do. I know you feel that Covid means certain death for you but you have no grounds to be that definite.

spectrum123
01-10-21, 20:50
Don't forget people still get colds, it's not gone away, it's just not as frequent. A lot of people take covid tests thinking they may have covid that come back negative, they probably just have a cold.

AntsyVee
02-10-21, 00:47
Why can’t it be allergies?

Pamplemousse
02-10-21, 02:36
Why can’t it be allergies?

Because the only thing I'm really allergic to is penicillin, Vee.

I've just got home after over 30 miles of detours due to overnight road works (so I'm happy I chose to fill the car up yesterday morning) and I am pissed off with colleagues who see going home as their priority leaving me to do all the prep work for Monday, meaning I didn't leave work for close on an hour after everyone else... so here's hoping I can get some sleep.

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 05:48
I've tested negative the whole time it was in this house, but today I tested positive. I'm not bothered by it, just sucks I'm the last one to get it in this house :roflmao: My lateral flow test this morning was negative, but I was convinced I did it wrong, then I did one almost 24 hours later and this one is 2 lines. Looks like I'm having a party on the COVID boat.

NoraB
02-10-21, 06:32
This morning I woke up with a sore throat and a 'funny' nose, which in a pre-Covid world I'd have dismissed as the start of a cold. I did a lateral flow test, which came back negative but I'm always concerned that I've done it wrong - the nose is okay (but it usually makes me sneeze) and I tend to gag on the throat swab and I worry that I'll have ruined the test if it touches my tongue. When I got into work my temperature with the thermal camera was 36 degrees, pretty normal for me.

At the moment, I'm trying not to panic - I'm at work and I'd give anything to be magicked away and into my bed.

Having read about how Delta can behave like a bad cold, I remain terrified that if I catch it, it will kill me despite being vaccinated.

I just want to know how I've caught a cold - I wear masks and keep my distance, have I not washed/sanitised my hands enough?

Help me, please...?

My lad had a sore throat, cough etc the other week. I tested him and he was clear. It's colds season innit?

In my case, I have a combo of his cold germs (masquerading as face ache) and my fibro - which is very much a case of 'Princess and the Pea' when it comes to pain. Though I think my husband would argue the 'Princess' bit :whistles:

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 06:37
Though I think my husband would argue the 'Princess' bit :whistles:

:roflmao:

elizabethalice
02-10-21, 08:00
I've had a few colds this year! They are definitely still around. You've done all the right things but if you still feel ill today or tomorrow and are concerned you could always do a PCR to see. Btw if you order a box from the NHS website now they are nose only!

Gary A
02-10-21, 10:53
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/24/return-of-the-common-cold-infections-surge-in-uk-as-autumn-arrives

Pamplemousse
02-10-21, 11:25
Did another LFT this morning; negative.

I only have one left so I suppose I should get dressed and nip to the chemist to get another box, along with some tissues for the snotty nose. I used to gargle with TCP when I had a cold, best get some of that too.

Really, I just want to stay in bed.

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 11:47

I only have one left so I suppose I should get dressed and nip to the chemist to get another box, along with some tissues for the snotty nose. I used to gargle with TCP when I had a cold, best get some of that too.

It does sound like a cold, I'm in bed watching some tales from the Thames on Youtube.

Gary A
02-10-21, 13:49

This is evidently a cold. Two negative tests whilst you’re displaying symptoms is about as good a confirmation of that as you’ll get. If you had symptomatic Covid the virus would be at its most detectable, two tests have not picked it up.

Test yourself, yes, that’s good common sense, but be careful not to obsess too much.

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 15:00
This is evidently a cold. Two negative tests whilst you’re displaying symptoms is about as good a confirmation of that as you’ll get. If you had symptomatic Covid the virus would be at its most detectable, two tests have not picked it up.

Test yourself, yes, that’s good common sense, but be careful not to obsess too much.

For me I felt rough for a few days before it showed positive. But I presented different symptoms that started with muscle aches.

fishman65
02-10-21, 15:15
PM, Mrs F has had a virus for just under a week now. She's slowly getting better but has point blank refused to do a LFT. I however have tested negative throughout. Everything gets magnified for us anxiety people, but the vaccines really have taken the sting out of this virus for the vast majority who catch it. You'll be fine mate.

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 16:21
To correct my previous post I actually tested positive the other day. I just found the test and it's positive. I obviously didn't leave it long enough.

Basically if you had COVID you'd be positive so it's likely just a cold.

Pamplemousse
03-10-21, 11:40
Okay, now I really AM worried: I've got a 3rd LFT test on the go as I type this, but I seem to have lost my sense of smell :(

elizabethalice
03-10-21, 11:59
Okay, now I really AM worried: I've got a 3rd LFT test on the go as I type this, but I seem to have lost my sense of smell :(

Loss of smell can easily happen with colds too. Why don't you get a PCR? You should get your result within 24 hours and provided that's negative you can stop worrying about it and not have to keep taking LFTs. Otherwise you may end up taking LFTs every day - and when I did that my cold symptoms got even worse from all the prodding!

Pamplemousse
03-10-21, 12:46
I've just ordered a home PCR test as the advice is not to visit drive-in centres if you're in a high-risk category. I also opted for the blood antibody tests.

I had a cold when I was a teenager that lost me my sense of smell: a friend and my sister have told me that there are colds going around, my friend had one earlier last week and it has all but gone now.

This morning's LFT test came back negative.

elizabethalice
03-10-21, 14:15
I've just ordered a home PCR test as the advice is not to visit drive-in centres if you're in a high-risk category. I also opted for the blood antibody tests.

I had a cold when I was a teenager that lost me my sense of smell: a friend and my sister have told me that there are colds going around, my friend had one earlier last week and it has all but gone now.

This morning's LFT test came back negative.

That's good that the LFT came back negative. It sounds like it's just a cold. I would say do the PCR to be sure but once you get the result from that let it rest and don't take any more LFTs for this cold, otherwise you'll keep feeding the anxiety. I understand feeling a bit sceptical of LFTs (although one out of three should have picked it up), but once you have your PCR you'll know for sure :)

Pamplemousse
03-10-21, 15:16
That's good that the LFT came back negative. It sounds like it's just a cold. I would say do the PCR to be sure but once you get the result from that let it rest and don't take any more LFTs for this cold, otherwise you'll keep feeding the anxiety. I understand feeling a bit sceptical of LFTs (although one out of three should have picked it up), but once you have your PCR you'll know for sure :)

I'm just worried I'll do that "wrong" too :(

Meantime, it's bed for me. Sadly I'll lose two days of work because of this - just as a huge bill from the accountant has arrived...

WiredIncorrectly
03-10-21, 15:50
About a month or so ago I had a cold and lost my sense of smell. It wasn't COVID because COVID feels different. I think you "know" when you have it.

It's also good to remember that the COVID deaths are actually relatively low. It's very easy to get scared when you read the news, but people should remember that people also die from the flu, yet we're rarely worried about that.

Currently I'm feeling better, but I was saying earlier I've had worse chest infections that have left me in bad coughing fits all day with burning lungs. It doesn't seem to be the case with COVID for me.

Lencoboy
03-10-21, 16:03
About a month or so ago I had a cold and lost my sense of smell. It wasn't COVID because COVID feels different. I think you "know" when you have it.

It's also good to remember that the COVID deaths are actually relatively low. It's very easy to get scared when you read the news, but people should remember that people also die from the flu, yet we're rarely worried about that.

Currently I'm feeling better, but I was saying earlier I've had worse chest infections that have left me in bad coughing fits all day with burning lungs. It doesn't seem to be the case with COVID for me.

You're correct that Covid deaths appear to have peaked (at least for now) in this current third wave and nowhere near what they were back in January--February at the height of the second wave.

It's also looking like even daily cases are now starting to edge down once again, though only time will tell, of course, as to whether or not it's just another blip.

Nice to hear that you're feeling a bit better this afternoon, and hopefully by tomorrow you might be over the worst of your Covid.

elizabethalice
03-10-21, 20:45
I'm just worried I'll do that "wrong" too :(

Meantime, it's bed for me. Sadly I'll lose two days of work because of this - just as a huge bill from the accountant has arrived...

I understand the worry, but I'm sure you'll do it even more thoroughly because you're concerned. I'm the same! Most people don't care that much about doing it thoroughly and PCRs still pick up a huge majority of cases. If it is covid, one of the tests will pick it up. But I really do think it's just a cold. Keep us posted!

ckelley116
04-10-21, 01:09
I took two Covid tests (PCR) in the last 2 weeks - the first on day 1 of symptoms (a sore throat) and the second on day 8, when I was full-blown congested and coughing my head off. Both negative. It was just a cold and I’m sure yours is too!

Pamplemousse
04-10-21, 12:59
My PCR test arrived this morning but it is missing the security seal so I've had to order another.

Meanwhile I do seem to be getting a sense of smell back... but as one health fear wanes, my other fears are now jostling for attention.

I wish I could be at peace.

Lencoboy
04-10-21, 15:42
My PCR test arrived this morning but it is missing the security seal so I've had to order another.

Meanwhile I do seem to be getting a sense of smell back... but as one health fear wanes, my other fears are now jostling for attention.

I wish I could be at peace.

Well at least you're not in hospital, and best of all, still alive right now PM.

WiredIncorrectly
04-10-21, 16:45
When you say you lost sense of smell, you mean you can sniff an astray or deodorant and not smell anything?

Pamplemousse
04-10-21, 19:01
When you say you lost sense of smell, you mean you can sniff an astray or deodorant and not smell anything?

Correct - even though it's been forty years since I've been near an ashtray! I couldn't smell hand-wash, coffee or industrial alcohol, to name three strong smells. Today I can, although it's a bit muted on my normal sense of smell, which is very keen indeed: once upon a time I could tell if someone in a car ahead of me was smoking if they had their window open.

Pamplemousse
05-10-21, 14:04
PCR test done at midday and posted. It poured with rain whilst walking to the postbox...

WiredIncorrectly
05-10-21, 14:13
I think you're fine mate, and if you DID have COVID you had it light. I was watching the rain at 5am this morning, it was lovely. But my partner still thinks it's summer and sleeps with the window open :roflmao:

Lencoboy
05-10-21, 15:55
I think you're fine mate, and if you DID have COVID you had it light. I was watching the rain at 5am this morning, it was lovely. But my partner still thinks it's summer and sleeps with the window open :roflmao:

Definitely does sound like Covid-lite if PM does happen to have (or had) Covid at all, but only the PCR test result will tell in due course.

elizabethalice
05-10-21, 17:31
PCR test done at midday and posted. It poured with rain whilst walking to the postbox...

Great. You should get the result tomorrow. And once you've got that you'll know that you don't need to worry. I'm sure the result will be negative, but even if it is positive i'm sure it won't get worse now, just good to know if you need to continue isolating. I got caught in the rain today too!

Pamplemousse
05-10-21, 21:09
The only thing that's bothering me is the sore throat that's being rather persistent.

WiredIncorrectly
06-10-21, 08:56
The only thing that's bothering me is the sore throat that's being rather persistent.

What symptoms do you have atm P?

elizabethalice
06-10-21, 17:31

Think how many times you've had a sore throat before though pre covid!

Have you had your PCR result yet?

Pamplemousse
06-10-21, 19:05
Think how many times you've had a sore throat before though pre covid!

Have you had your PCR result yet?

Oh, I used to suffer with them terribly as a child and think no more of it. But then Covid came along - and the problem is, I forget what the last ailment was like every time I get a new one. I really don't want to find myself keeping a log book of every illness I get, but maybe I will have to.

As it stands, the throat has subsided but I am yet to get my test result. It was delivered to the test centre at 6.37am according to Royal Mail, so I don't expect to hear really until tomorrow at the earliest. I half expect to be told it's inconclusive and I need to do another :(

WiredIncorrectly
06-10-21, 19:23
COVID is making me want to move way out in the sticks and have no contact with a soul. I wonder if there's any small stone cottages for rent in the dales. I would happily sit infront of a log fire, with the radio on with a good book or the laptop. I've had enough of the sardine tin lifestyle.

PM good luck for tomorrow! I'll keep fingers and toes crossed. On the plus side if you did have it lightly you've got a period of immunity right?

Pamplemousse
06-10-21, 20:09
Cheers, James.

My brother just sent me a message to say that on based on other people's experiences, I should have had my result by now.

Worryingly, I know I registered the test yesterday but earlier I had an e-mail asking me to register it.

This has gone wrong, hasn't it? So it looks like I'll be ordering another test, and doing another test - I just know it.

Pamplemousse
06-10-21, 23:28
Well.... I thought I'd check my e-mail before I went to bed.

There was one from the NHS: my PCR test result was negative :)

It came just after twenty to ten - are these centres running 24 hours?

WiredIncorrectly
06-10-21, 23:30
Apparently according to my partner you can call 119 to chase your result. So I Googled and the NHS site says if you don't get your result in 6 days to call them. I'm guessing you will get the results tomorrow.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/test-results/how-you-get-your-test-result/

WiredIncorrectly
06-10-21, 23:31

Wooooop! Good news, now you can relax. Unlike me, who has now got a completely blocked nose :roflmao:

And yes I think they're running around the clock.

Catkins
07-10-21, 05:47
Excellent news PM.

pulisa
07-10-21, 08:03
I hope you feel better soon, PM. Very good news!.

elizabethalice
07-10-21, 13:52

Congratulations! Now you can forget about this worry and just focus on making your cold better. Easier said than done, but try to just ignore any anxiety that comes up about this cold. You know it's not covid now.