PDA

View Full Version : Checking my skin for petechiae is ruining my life

atm4660
10-10-21, 22:48
Hi. I have a long history with health anxiety. I haven’t struggled with it in a really long time. About three weeks ago I had a routine checkup with blood work and it came back that I was “a bit anemic” which I have been in the past. I’m taking iron tablets for it. Everything else was normal, WBC, platelets, etc. red count was a tiny bit high, just out of range. 5.4 compared to the upper limit of 5.1. But I have been spiraling since then. I have mainly been obsessed with checking my skin for petechiae or bruising. Occasionally I will get a small place on my skin that disappears in a couple of days. And I have a few scattered bright red spots on my arms and legs here and there. I know some of them are strawberry hemangiomas but I’m nervous that some of them might be petechiae. I’m just terrified of leukemia. It’s always been a huge fear of mine. Would my WBC have been out of range? Does anyone else have these random red pinprick spots? Please help.

utrocket09
10-10-21, 23:29
Hi. I have a long history with health anxiety. I haven’t struggled with it in a really long time. About three weeks ago I had a routine checkup with blood work and it came back that I was “a bit anemic” which I have been in the past. I’m taking iron tablets for it. Everything else was normal, WBC, platelets, etc. red count was a tiny bit high, just out of range. 5.4 compared to the upper limit of 5.1. But I have been spiraling since then. I have mainly been obsessed with checking my skin for petechiae or bruising. Occasionally I will get a small place on my skin that disappears in a couple of days. And I have a few scattered bright red spots on my arms and legs here and there. I know some of them are strawberry hemangiomas but I’m nervous that some of them might be petechiae. I’m just terrified of leukemia. It’s always been a huge fear of mine. Would my WBC have been out of range? Does anyone else have these random red pinprick spots? Please help.

.3 difference is nothing. My father in law had leukemia. and is blood work was out of this world.

nicole97
12-10-21, 21:58
That small difference in range is nothing to worry about at all.