PDA

View Full Version : Second Vaccine Fear

pandaloverx
20-10-21, 11:43
Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I’ve not been on here in a while, well have lurked but not logged in I guess.
My health anxiety has been at an all time high the last year and I’m trying to get help for it but it is very bad.

My latest thing I’ve become fixated on is getting the COVID Vaccine. I managed to get my first Pfizer shot in July and even that was a big step for me as I kept cancelling it and then I finally felt ready.

After my first vaccine, I had some bad effects but I was okay after a few days, I ended up getting health checks done by the GP and they cleared me to get my second dose, which could be tomorrow as they have walk in clinics rather than appointments. I just keep changing my mind again, like last week I was meant to get it, week before I was meant to get it too and just couldn’t go. Every time I feel ready, someone will send me a scary article or put me off or I accidentally stumble across something frightening. I guess I’m just posting this for reassurance that it wasn’t all bad as what I’m thinking, if you’ve had your second?

I know COVID is awful as I know a couple of people who sadly passed away from it or were severely ill. I just get so anxious over the unknowns and just not wanting to have any awful side effect. My first one gave me bad palpitations (heart rate was 170BPM) and tightness in my chest, so I was a bit worried about second though good that I’ve had the all clear from GP.

Ugh, I just wish I wasn’t so worried. A lot of people in my life just went and got the vaccine, no problem at all for them. I’m such a worrier :(

Lencoboy
20-10-21, 12:38
Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I’ve not been on here in a while, well have lurked but not logged in I guess.
My health anxiety has been at an all time high the last year and I’m trying to get help for it but it is very bad.

My latest thing I’ve become fixated on is getting the COVID Vaccine. I managed to get my first Pfizer shot in July and even that was a big step for me as I kept cancelling it and then I finally felt ready.

After my first vaccine, I had some bad effects but I was okay after a few days, I ended up getting health checks done by the GP and they cleared me to get my second dose, which could be tomorrow as they have walk in clinics rather than appointments. I just keep changing my mind again, like last week I was meant to get it, week before I was meant to get it too and just couldn’t go. Every time I feel ready, someone will send me a scary article or put me off or I accidentally stumble across something frightening. I guess I’m just posting this for reassurance that it wasn’t all bad as what I’m thinking, if you’ve had your second?

I know COVID is awful as I know a couple of people who sadly passed away from it or were severely ill. I just get so anxious over the unknowns and just not wanting to have any awful side effect. My first one gave me bad palpitations (heart rate was 170BPM) and tightness in my chest, so I was a bit worried about second though good that I’ve had the all clear from GP.

Ugh, I just wish I wasn’t so worried. A lot of people in my life just went and got the vaccine, no problem at all for them. I’m such a worrier :(

IMO, the chances of getting bad side effects from the jab is still by far more remote compared to the bad effects of Covid itself.

In fact, we're probably far more at risk of being run over by buses on a daily basis than developing severe vaccine-related side effects.

Also it's possible to develop serious side effects from practically all other medications in existence but we don't usually tend to give them as much as a second thought.

.Poppy.
20-10-21, 14:46
Were the palpitations and chest tightness vaccine related or anxiety related?

I got the Moderna vaccine - both times I had to wait 15 minutes afterwards before I could leave, and both times I swore that I was feeling off and going to get really ill. But both times I walked out of there and was totally fine. First shot I had a sore arm, the second I was down for a couple of days with fever, but I usually feel crummy with the flu shot so that wasn't really surprising. Ultimately I was fine and it's protected me from covid so far, which is great!

You can do this.

Trixie01
28-12-21, 08:35
Hi Poppy did you ever manage to get your second jab? I’m in exactly the same position. I had my first one way back in July and that took close to 7 months for me to get the courage. I’ve now cancelled lots of times, tried to go to the walk in centre numerous times and walked away. I have a history of allergies and on my first jab I had a reaction that started a few hours after. I was told anything over 4 hours isn’t classed as a serious allergic response but worried that that may be worse. It wasn’t serious but my HA was on full alert. Also I had chest pains which I put down to chest wall pain (I have lupus and this has happened once before) but now I wish is got it checked as I’m too scared to have the vaccine 🤦*♀️
I hope you managed to do it. I’m going to try walk in again today

pulisa
28-12-21, 08:46
Good luck, Trixie. I hope you are able to go through with it if you truly want to have your 2nd jab.

Trixie01
28-12-21, 08:55
Thanks so much Pulisa. The problem I have is my health anxiety is so bad I don’t want anything medical however i have children at school and am classed as high risk so am equally as scared of covid 😢

pulisa
28-12-21, 14:02
You don't want "anything medical" so you won't want to put yourself at risk of hospitalisation if you were to get covid in view of your lupus. If you have school age children then you will be at more risk of picking it up from them.

What does your GP advise? What do YOU want to do? I wouldn't overthink this...It will make your anxiety worse. It sounds as if you were fine after your first jab. Don't confuse physical symptoms of anxiety with a significant reaction to vaccination?

Trixie01
29-12-21, 07:35
Thanks so much. You are very right about the hospital and complications. I’ve re booked for tomorrow and will try to just get up and only think, “this stops me having complications.” Thank you x

Trixie01
29-12-21, 07:36
If I’m honest I don’t want it but I know that’s still the fear not anything else

pulisa
29-12-21, 08:07
If I’m honest I don’t want it but I know that’s still the fear not anything else

Remember the "this stops me having complications" mantra so you do NEED it even though you're afraid and wanting to avoid it? Thoughts are just thoughts. The fact is that you need to protect yourself as much as you can and you have to do this for your family as well. You can do this for them too x

Trixie01
29-12-21, 15:06
Thank you so much. I’m going to get up tomorrow and do it. It’s such a shame there hasn’t been some kind of support for people who find it hard like me. I’m sure some of the unvaccinated people it will be because of worries and not necessarily all anti vax.
Thank you x

pulisa
29-12-21, 21:39
I agree. I think you are absolutely doing the right thing, Trixie. Get up tomorrow and get yourself protected. It's the very best thing you can do for yourself and for your family and well done!! xx

AzorAhai19
30-12-21, 18:46
Thank goodness. I just noticed this thread and thought I was the only one. Guys, I need some help. I haven't had my second jab for 6 months+. I got so worried about the myocarditis issues due to the second vaccine for males under 40. I am a 33 year old guy. I had my first jab, but never had my second jab due to the scare stories. I am at the point where I'm not wanting the jab. I also need it to travel, which Is what I would like to do in 2022. Most countries seem to require 2 jabs to enter their countries, so I got to get the second jab. Anybody know if it will still be okay to receive the 2nd jab? Given the large gap and all. Thanks.

pulisa
30-12-21, 19:40
Thank goodness. I just noticed this thread and thought I was the only one. Guys, I need some help. I haven't had my second jab for 6 months+. I got so worried about the myocarditis issues due to the second vaccine for males under 40. I am a 33 year old guy. I had my first jab, but never had my second jab due to the scare stories. I am at the point where I'm not wanting the jab. I also need it to travel, which Is what I would like to do in 2022. Most countries seem to require 2 jabs to enter their countries, so I got to get the second jab. Anybody know if it will still be okay to receive the 2nd jab? Given the large gap and all. Thanks.

It's never too late. Best to get it done as soon as you can.

Trixie01
02-01-22, 17:09
Well my second is tomorrow… I feel your pain it’s so awful when you have anxiety about it. Apparently six months is classed as fully vaccinated still. I will ask tomorrow for you and post back. I’m concerned about heart issues too after having chest pains on the first one. You are younger than me though, I’m a middle aged woman 😹😹 Have you booked it? The cases are so so high now it’s inevitable that we will all catch it

Magic
02-01-22, 18:37
I am the oldest member on NMP. I have anxiety i take tablets fo,r and also heart disease , I have had all my jabs for covid. No problem to me. i just get on with it.

Trixie01
03-01-22, 08:41
That’s fab well done Magic. Wish I could get my head into that space. Waiting for doc to prescribe me meds so hoping that helps the anxiety enough to be able to do it

Fishmanpa
03-01-22, 13:19
I am the oldest member on NMP. I have anxiety i take tablets fo,r and also heart disease , I have had all my jabs for covid. No problem to me. i just get on with it.

The oldest member? I know there are several older than me but the oldest? ;)

FMP