PDA

View Full Version : How much damage can anxiety do to the mind?

TaleOn11
01-11-21, 16:49
So here's the deal.

I've been getting better but also worse with anxiety these days. And the thing is, its been getting tougher and tougher to let these thoughts out due to fear of them actually coming true. Even writing them down makes me panic!

Not only am I afraid of that but my therapist has been giving me the silent treatment for the past few months (either he's extremely busy or he has decided to leave his job and I didn't know). But this adds another fear. I've had to deal with these anxious thoughts myself which is hard but not impossible since my rational mind does help in getting rid of them after a while. However, I'm afraid that, by not discussing these thoughts with a therapist and whatnot, I've not only delayed my recovery but also done permanent damage to my mind which I REALLY don't want. I've developed nonsensical beliefs in my head that I'm afraid will stay with me and I didn't talk to somebody sooner to recover from them.

And yes, I'm still unemployed so that certainly doesn't help either.

Is there a chance I will be fine? I hope I still have a chance to recover from what I've had to deal with this year.

Scissel
01-11-21, 23:29
Negative self talk is quite damaging actually to our Psyche.

TaleOn11
02-11-21, 10:18
You didn't.. fully answer my question. If thats the case, can anxiety and anxious thoughts do the same thing to the psyche? And if so, is it repairable?

Scissel
06-11-21, 16:06
Anxiety is something along the lines of thoughts that are not calibrated well. They make us doubt ourselves and cause confusion and uncertainty. I don't believe that is damaging to our psyche, however, negative self talk and negative affirmations and feeding the anxiety by giving it credence is unhealthy. I hope that made some sense as I sometimes struggle explaining things (as I see it, of course).

I'll try again later and I hope you're feeling better.

Scissel
06-11-21, 17:11
K ... I think what I was trying to say, was, try not to validate what your anxious mind is trying to fool you into believing. Let the negative thoughts pass as quickly as possible, don't hold on to them. There are studies form combat veterans dealing with PTSD from repeated trauma because our minds are trying to protect us in the best way it can. Long term damage from anxiety (alone) unlikely. Continued validation can turn to neurosis which is another story.

Honestly, if you don't feel comfortable discussing your anxiety with your therapist, might be time to look for a new one. It took me years to find the right one and I can now be open and honest and she knows pretty much everything about me. If you have a good therapist, you should be able to work on decreasing your worries and fears and begin to heal your total being (spirit / awareness / consciousness) not in a religious viewpoint unless you believe in such and that brings you comfort to think of your spirit that way. You can heal overtime, but it takes time a patients, so don't give up.

Take good care and keep posting here if it help you.

~Sal