PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I have tongue cancer.

Taucher
06-11-21, 23:14
Firstly, after 6 or 7 years relatively free of HA, I'm back here. I am a male and 42 years old. Very light smoker from ages 24-40 (between 0 - 20 per week) apart froma relapse this summer (from June to late August - I know!)

At the beginning of September I had an ulcer on the side of my tongue. At about the same time I became very ill with a nasty non-covid infection - fever, temperature, respiratory infection. etc. Basically the ulcer has been on my tongue ever since - about eight weeks now! Everything on the internet says that an ulcer that doesnt heal in three weeks is cancer - so here I am. I sent some photos to a doctor last week who decided, as a precaution, to refer me to a maxilofacial consultant as a 'precaution' within two weeks. She said I shouldnt worry about it but that you have to be careful with things appearing on tongues. She also said it looks like I might have bitten my tongue - I have been woken up on several occasions with the ulcer being very painful and one time the part of the tongue with the ulcer was clamped between my teeth when I woke up. I dont know if my tongue is swollen because I bit it or if I have been biting it because it is swollen. As can be imagined, I am terrified.

The positives I am trying to console myself with is 1) a Google search actually revealed something comforting and that is that between 90% - 95% of tongue cancer two week urgent referrals turn out to be absolutely nothing and 2) I took a photo of my ulcer on the 14th of September and it appears to be completely unchanged.

Still, it does look so weird. Ive bought a mouth gurrd and am using for the first time tonight in the hope that it might help.

I hate health anxiety. And so does my wife. And I have a son now and I just feel like Im going to be dead soon.

Fishmanpa
07-11-21, 01:22
I'm a H&N cancer survivor. Based on my experience, I'm quite sure you'll be fine.

FMP

Nico Bellic
07-11-21, 14:07
As an ex smoker I used to get so many ulcers on my tongue that took forever to heal. Most of the time I was constantly checking it and touching it which never helped. Also in the night while sleeping I kept catching it which slowed down the heeling process. I’m sure you will be fine try to ignore it and not obsess over it and take your doctors advice. Happy thoughts to you.

Taucher
07-11-21, 19:11
So I have a white lump on the side of my tongue for 8 weeks. Sent photos to my doctor who referred me for an urgent two week maxilofacial appointment as a precaution whilst saying I shouldn’t worry. I’ve been struggling with this enough as it it and then, about an hour ago, after feeling discomfort in my left armpit I found a swollen lymph node.

I now cannot cope and have shut down through sheer fear and panic. My wife is upset too. I think it’s 100% certain I have tongue cancer and that it has spread.

I’m so scared.

Taucher
07-11-21, 19:52
Thank you. Unfortunately in the last two hours I have found a swollen lymph node in my left armpit (same side as tongue bump) so me being fine is looking much less likely. ☹️

Fishmanpa
07-11-21, 20:40
As I said in my previous post, as a Stage IVa H&N cancer survivor, I don't see the red flags. The nodes that would react to something would be in your neck, not your armpit (and you really don't know what you're feeling or looking for). Been there and done it so yeah.... :shades:

While I'm not a proponent for paid reassurance, if you're that concerned, see your doctor.

FMP

Taucher
08-11-21, 07:29
Good point about lymph nodes in my neck. Obviously I’ve (almost obsessively) felt my neck but can find no sign of swollen anything. I’ve also read that sudden swollen nodes accompanied by pain are as a result of allergy or infection so I’m assuming for now that my swollen armpit node is a badly timed coincidence.

I’m sorry to be like this. The spiral of HA makes me desperate for reassurance but then I pretty much dismiss any reassurance offered. But then if I read anything remotely negative I’ll take that as 100% true. It’s completely mad really. I have a medical appointment coming up.

Thanks again.

nomorepanic
08-11-21, 10:47
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Taucher
10-11-21, 13:21
Well I had an appointment with a maxilifacial consultant surgeon this morning and...I dont have cancer. Of course I dont. She said she understood why the doctor referred me but that no dentist would have been concerned.

What I have is a mild fibroma caused by biting or thrusting my tongue in my sleep. She patiently explained why this is the case and I will be getting a custom mouth guard to help in the future. This is often caused by anxiety or stress and some people do it without anxiety or stress. Interestingly, she said that cases of mild ongoing trauma to tongues/cheeks has gone up considerably since the start of the Coronavirus pandemic.

So I am elated to be told that I dont have cancer but now I think I have to work on telling my subconscious self that I never did have cancer.

Take care all.

T

Fishmanpa
10-11-21, 13:24
Appreciate the update. And yeah.... "Told ya so" ;)

FMP