PDA

View Full Version : not sure what title to use! please read?

emma81
17-11-07, 14:17
Hiya

As the title said im not sure what to call this post but basically i am agorpahobic finding it very difficult to travel far from my home. I have my wedding in 8 months time and shortly after christmas i really do need to be able to travel about an hour from my home to get dresses for my bridesmaids. They know my situation with the agoraphobia but i really really need to try and do this for them (and myself)

Anyway, i currently take citalopram 20mg a day depsite my GP constantly saying i need to increase the dose to 40mg a day because after 8 months of 20mg a day i am still not feeling any effect from them. BUT i had such a horrible time with increased panic the first week or so i was taking them i really dont want to feel that again and am convinced if i up the dose i will feel that way again? So i keep saying i wont up the dose.

He has told me that if after seeing the mental health people (still waiting for 1st appointment) and doing some exposure work i can then travel a bit further, then he would give me something that is a sedative to control my panic whilst travelling long distances - for example if i can manage a honeymoon the travelling to get there. However when i asked him if there is anything he can give me that basically wont 'knock me out' so i could for example control my panic and travel to see bridesmaid dresses - he says no.... the only thing he can give me is something like valium which will make me really sleepy so the only thing i can do is up my citalopram to 40mg and that should control my general anxiety a lot more.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, emma :)

madamgg
17-11-07, 17:12
Hi Emma
i really feel for you. I don't really have any advice re agroraphobia but i was on citalapram for 4 weeks and had horrible insomnia side effects and like you did not feel any better. i went back to my docs who straight away said they are not working for me, so switched me to cipralex. This has been great for me and within 3/4 days i felt masses better and suffered no other side effects. i know it's different for everyone but i think after 8 months not feeling any better on citalopram you should get a second opinion, and think about a change of meds? if i were you i would take someone along with me to the doctors for support and really thrash it out with them, i don't think going up a dose is the only answer nor is valium. sometimes you have to make a fuss to get the help you need, so see if you can get fast tracked for an appointment.
i really hope things improve for you.
Jane x