PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bat Contact Help

torimelvin5
12-11-21, 20:41
I am totally freaking out. Rabies is my number one HA fear besides maybe cancer. I have a huge fear of bats because of it. On Tuesday I was out taking my dog for a walk and it was dark outside. I was standing in a flood light by a small grove of trees at my apartment complex when all the sudden I feel something bump against my neck and then left shoulder. I freaked out and looked around but couldn't see anything.

I went back to my apartment where I checked my skin but there wasn't any visible mark I could make out. Of course, I gave into the anxiety and started googling, and found an article of a man dying after a bat flew into his hand without any visible bite or scratch. So that just made me spiral.

And to make things worse, today my arm left arm started feeling weak at work, I'm shaking and clammy. So now I think I am dying and there's no help for me.

I received postexposure prophylaxis for rabies in 2018 after a similar freak-out but without any sort of possible contact. I want to think it was just a leaf that hit me since it is autumn and I was under some trees, but it just felt heavy.

I'm really disappointed in myself because I've have been doing so well with ERP and haven't had any sort of panic attack since I started a new medication. Am I overthinking things? Are my symptoms in my head?

Fishmanpa
13-11-21, 14:47
Am I overthinking things? Are my symptoms in my head?

Totally!

FMP

nomorepanic
13-11-21, 20:41
Bats do not attack people like that.

You need to get some help for this fear though

torimelvin5
14-11-21, 17:12
I have therapist who is working with me, I’ve been seeing her for almost 8 years. I’ve been able to conquer a lot of my fears, but rabies is something I’m still struggling with.

torimelvin5
14-11-21, 17:13
Well thank you :)

golddustgirl1000
28-11-21, 05:20
Sounds like you read the same article as me…🤣 the young guy on the hike right?

torimelvin5
02-12-21, 03:30
Sounds like you read the same article as me…🤣 the young guy on the hike right?

If I remember it was a guy who stopped on the side of the road and a bat flew into his hand. I've been doing better since I first posted however :)