PDA

View Full Version : Seizures!

sEiZuRe!
14-11-21, 16:07
Hello everyone,

I'm new here but like many of you I have health anxiety. I'm currently on medication for seizures and they run a relatively low risk of Steven-Johnson Syndrome (SJS). There's a 1 in 2500 chance of getting it while on these pills and it's freaking me out.

For anyone that's willing to read a little more background, here goes.

My mother and grandmother were protective of me as a toddler but I ended up in hospital a few times. Somewhere along the line I developed an anxiety disorder as a young child. Fear of needles, hypochondria, fear of medical procedure and fear of doctors. Yep, like many of you here, I avoided everything I could that had to do with any of it. I read about every illness there was and I was convinced I had them all. I think I even had AIDS as a ten year old and rabies (in Australia!).

Anyway, I because of an incident in my life at 16 I developed a severe depression. My left side became numb for a year or two. I was close to suicidal but honestly too stubborn to end it. I like living more.

Well the numbness in my face disappeared and I slowly grew out of the depression. But I had these immense head aches. At the time I played a lot of computer games and you'd get warning pamphlets inside warning kids games could trigger epilepsy. Of course I had a phase where I was SURE I had epilepsy. Or a brain tumour or both.

One night I woke up and thought I was going to have a stroke or something but it only lasted for one minute or so. It was the same side as the numbness I had earlier in my teens. At the time I was around 25. I remember shaking my arm, it felt as if a blood vessel behind my left eye was about to explode.

I was constantly panicking, worried about my health, as you can imagine. Too petrified to see a doctor so I ignored it for 10 years. The fits became a weekly occurrence and eventually I decided to pull all my courage together and go see a neurologist.

Tests came back ok. Nothing wrong with me. Thank God.

One day a friend of mine saw me have a fit and said, "That's a seizure! You had a seizure!". I was floored. One day I managed to record it on video and I broke down. This is like a nightmare.

Anyway, getting to the point, what followed was ten years of going from doctor to doctor, from hospital to hospital. 10 years worth of tests all came back clear. I am healthy and no one could tell me conclusively that I had epilepsy. No EEG, no MRI, not a single expert (including a neurologist who studied at some prestigious US university) could tell me what I had.

How ironic that the kid scared of hospitals would end up with an illness no one could name.

I'm sorry but there's no happy end to this story. The current diagnosis after 20 odd years is either refractory focal epilepsy (without any epileptiform evidence) or psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.

So I'm on these meds now, with a risk of SJS and my skin is itching beyond belief. I've had bad reactions to every AED (anti-epilepsy drug) I've tried and the one I have now is scaring the living daylights out of me. I've calculated the risk to be about 400 people in a million. That's a very slim chance, but of course I'm in that group.

It's so crazy that your mind can produce seizures, in your sleep, which you can't control. It's crazy that your body can create symptoms because your mind is convinced you have something.

Has anyone experienced any of this?

Scissel
14-11-21, 16:56
...It's so crazy that your mind can produce seizures, in your sleep, which you can't control. It's crazy that your body can create symptoms because your mind is convinced you have something.

Has anyone experienced any of this?

Welcome to NMP..

I wanted to let you know I read your entire posting and will return later with a better reply.

For now ... I have dealt with Sleep paralysis and it is very scary.

While I do not have epilepsy, I can very much relate, in that, I'm a TBI [Traumatic brain injury] and have Chiari malformation so I DO understand that sometimes there just isn't a happy ending and some things are irreversible. It takes great strength and courage to deal with everything you're going through and be proud that you didn't give up. Please don't give up fighting. Life isn't easy for some of us that suffer (both) mental health issues and physical issues ... its a daily challenge. Its not easy. Some days are better than others, though, I will stay that.

Again, I will return later this evening when my mind is a bit clearer with more advice.

wishing you the strength and energy and will power today.

Sincerely..

Sal.

Scissel
14-11-21, 23:08
Hi again..

I think regarding this new medication, you'll have to give it a try and see what happens. As I said, I don't have (classic) seizures, so my med provider has me on a benzodiazepine clonazepam; which also happens to treat seizures.

I'm not surprised that the EEG, no MRI didn't find it as I've been reading about your condition and see it easily goes unnoticed. It sounds like your condition was/is difficult to diagnose, and even now, it seems a bit unclear; from what I gather from your writing "(without any epileptiform evidence)". All I can say, is, it also took a long time to get a proper diagnosis, and only up until my mid 20s did things began to become clear after countless doctors and testings. In the beginning, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and GAD and there we some that *implied* that it was all in my imagination. At least you now have something to go on and not just health anxiety and depression and I hope the new medication will help.

How are you managing your symptoms; currently? Do you experience these seizures mostly at night and surrounding your sleep? There are risks involved with taking an benzodiazepine, and, of course, a doctor would have to prescribe it. Some doctors are hesitant to prescribe a benzodiazepine due to addiction, but, its too bad, because, used responsibly, they can be very helpful for some. I'm trying to play doctor and please take my advice for what its worth :)

I do hope things improve for you and please continue to post here if it helps you; we're open 24/7!

sEiZuRe!
15-11-21, 06:55
Hi again..

I think regarding this new medication, you'll have to give it a try and see what happens. As I said, I don't have (classic) seizures, so my med provider has me on a benzodiazepine clonazepam; which also happens to treat seizures.

I'm not surprised that the EEG, no MRI didn't find it as I've been reading about your condition and see it easily goes unnoticed. It sounds like your condition was/is difficult to diagnose, and even now, it seems a bit unclear; from what I gather from your writing "(without any epileptiform evidence)". All I can say, is, it also took a long time to get a proper diagnosis, and only up until my mid 20s did things began to become clear after countless doctors and testings. In the beginning, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and GAD and there we some that *implied* that it was all in my imagination. At least you now have something to go on and not just health anxiety and depression and I hope the new medication will help.

How are you managing your symptoms; currently? Do you experience these seizures mostly at night and surrounding your sleep? There are risks involved with taking an benzodiazepine, and, of course, a doctor would have to prescribe it. Some doctors are hesitant to prescribe a benzodiazepine due to addiction, but, its too bad, because, used responsibly, they can be very helpful for some. I'm trying to play doctor and please take my advice for what its worth :)

I do hope things improve for you and please continue to post here if it helps you; we're open 24/7!

Hello Sal,

Thank you so much for reading my story and replying in such depth. I really appreciate the time you spent!

I'm so happy that you've found a workable solution to your health issues. I'm not too familiar with Chiari malformations but I hope with the clonazapam it's working out for you.

Since I spoke with the doc last Friday I've popped back down to 1x 25mg lamotrigine and the itching has gotten better. The best thing would be to contact the doc today again and ask her if I can stay at 25mg until the side effects are manageable or if I can take an anti-histamine.

You probably know but since PNES/NEAD isn't caused by electrical issues of the brain but emotional issues I think Clonazapam might be a solution for me as well, great idea! Like you said, they can treat seizures but they also control anxiety. Maybe if I have a feeling a seizure is about to hit I can take one and see? I hope my doc isn't too reluctant to prescribe me a small package. It's worth a try, eh?

Yesterday I read about SJS and it appearing in the first three weeks of taking the medication. That's eased my anxiety a bit, so I might as well just plough through the side effects and see how it goes in a week.

Scissel
15-11-21, 17:45
You're very welcome and I hope things will improve for us.

Day-by-day and go with the flow :)