View Full Version : What does heartburn feel like

tt
12-02-05, 01:59
Sorry to sound so silly, but what does heart burn feel like.
My mum says you have gas but it is above my breast and I have only heard of heart burn when your throat burns.

TT:)

TT:)

seh1980
12-02-05, 10:28
Hello TT,

I have never had a bad throat when having heartburn. It's just like a weird pain in the heart area. That's the best I can describe it I'm afraid!! I always describe it as my 'heart pain'.

Sarah :D

FAN
12-02-05, 12:45
im not sure its gas i think its acid coming back from your stomach and it is a burning feeling in your chest i never had it in my throat but i guess you could do if it rose that far back up

fan x

Mel
12-02-05, 13:17
I suffer really badly from heartburn related to panic, my doctor described it really well as feeling like you have a golf ball stuck in your gullet, I said it felt more like a football in my case:D but it is a good description. I doesn't allways feel like burning. I have had this constantly for about a month and when it started waking me up at night my doctor put me on prescription strenght (150mg) Ranitidine which is helping some. I hope this is some help to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Mel

jude
12-02-05, 13:35
Hi tt,
I think what you are describing is what I call trapped wind.
You can get a pain anywhere in your chest and shoulder region. When I get it I try to burp it away, which sometimes works but sometimes its stubborn and stays there for a while.
If you like fizzy pop, try drinking some to make you burp and see if it eases.
Dont worry,
Take care
Jude x

Meg
12-02-05, 15:21
Tradition heartburn or reflux is when you can feel a burning sensation coming back up your gullet either just low down at heart level or travelling up after eating. Things like zantac/ranitidine or losec/ omeprazole help reduce the amount of acid produced.

It can also present with this gas trapped/ blockage sensation which is created in the tummy as a result of a chemical reaction with the acid forming the extra gas.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance