PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from London

UW
18-11-07, 07:04
Hello, I thought I should introduce myself first so everyone knows who I am.

I am a 25 year old male army officer. I believe that I have PTSD and a number of other, as yet, unidentified issues as well as general self worth problems.

A few years ago I was injured while deployed with the army. At first it seemed like any 18-30 holiday, there was sun, sand, loads of lads of the same mindset. The only things that detracted from this was all the people shooting at us and all the attacks, but it's all part and parcel of the job and you just get on with it. To cut a long story short the vehicle I was in was hit by a roadside bomb, I was badly injured and I lost some very good friends.

I am quite open and honest about what happened to me, I still blame myself and I still have guilt for being one of the ones who got to come home.

I have never had any kind of professional help. I would like to say it is because I am a matcho man (I really am not lol) but because I refuse to let other people see me as having a weakness. I don't really get affected by this while I am at work because that is a different me, that is the "work UW" totally different to "normal UW" (a mask if you will)

I do not know what my motivation behind joining this forum was, but no doubt it will proove to be a good idea in the long run.

regards,

UW :shades:

Jaco45er
18-11-07, 08:30
Hi UW and welcome.

Sounds like you have had a hell of a time mate. There was a guy on Radio 5 talking about mental health issues in the army, and that the army took it more serious than they used to. Is there any help through the army route?

I hope you find this place a benefit to you mate.

Good luck,

Jaco

UW
18-11-07, 10:13
Hi mate, thanks for your welcome!

Yes the Army do take it very seriously indeed and while it is easier to gain help there is still a level of stigma attached to it. I have, many a time, sat here and thought about confessing all and trying to get some help via work but many people I know who have done this have met with unsatisfactory ends.

Cheers

UW

Nibbles
18-11-07, 11:19
Hi UW and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. Sorry to hear that you've had such a tough time and hope you find this site useful.

Take care,

Mike :)

manmoor
18-11-07, 12:00
Hi Uw,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

matti
18-11-07, 12:26
Hi Uw
What ever your motivation was to join this site Im sure it will benefit you in some way. I have a nephew who is in the Marines and is currently in Afgan. I can only imagine what he is going through as I can only imagine what you went and are still going through yourself. Obviously I dont know the whole story but please dont blame yourself...If you ever want a chat please feel free to e-mail me Take care
Love Matti x

Believe
18-11-07, 13:04
Hello UW,

Welcome to NMP. You will make lots for friends here and get some great advice.Hoep to see you around.

Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. Hope that things improve for you.

Thanks for the help with my picture.

sleepylea
18-11-07, 13:22
Hi UW,

I am very new here too, and everyone is soo friendly amd helpful.

I too have ptsd so I can relate a little (although you went through worse then me) to what your going through. I hope we can all help in some way.

Chat soon.

Lea
x

honeybee3939
18-11-07, 15:15
Hi UW

Just wanted to welcome you to NMP too, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends also.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

trac67
18-11-07, 15:35
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

kazzie
18-11-07, 16:04
A big:welcome: to You

Luv Kaz x

groovygranny
18-11-07, 20:04
Hello UW:welcome:to you!

Don't worry - as soon as I pressed 'enter' when I registered I wondered what on earth I'd done by signing up to this site just 15mnths ago. But, I guarantee it will be useful..... and you won't regret it for one minute.

You'll probably find that you have as much opportunity to offer help, support and understanding as you have the opportunity to receive.

Pleased to meet you!

:)

UW
18-11-07, 22:30
Thanks everyone. It is always nice to recieve such a warm welcome. Looking forward to talking to you all over time

ladygrom
19-11-07, 02:53
hi and welcome to the forum you will get loads of support on this site sorry to hear wat a rough time youve had tc elainexxx

nomorepanic
19-11-07, 18:53
Hi UW

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Pickle
19-11-07, 19:52
Hi UW

Joining this site will probably be one of the best things you have done in a long time. Take a look at some of the links on the left, they are full of good advice. You will also meet lots of great people who have some brilliant advice.

Take care and :welcome:

Lindalou64
20-11-07, 01:23
HELLO UW WELCOME TO THE SITE......LINDA

Southern_Belle
20-11-07, 03:00
Hi UW,

Welcome to the site. You will be surprised at how many here feel like you do and the support you will receive.

Hugs,

Laura

Pink Princess
25-11-07, 18:35
http://www.zwani.com/graphics/hello/images/14441.gif

welcome to the forum hope to see you around xx

take good care